Hypo

2»

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we excercise the body uses the glucose we have , so when our glucose is too high like your Dads we need to find a way to use it and so bring down the level

.Insulin brings the sugarlevel down . If he doesnt produce enough insulin then the best way to get sugars down quickly is to use them up , and thats done by excercise .A brisk walk or a few runs up the down the stairs will help .You could buy a stepper and have it in the house and he could do a 20 minute go on the stepper . The stepper folds into a corner and can be used as a quick fix for a high glucose level .

but presumably you need to be cautious for a patient with a previous heart attack.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    but presumably you need to be cautious for a patient with a previous heart attack.

Yes, good call I had forgotten the heart attack in my rush to get his glucose down ! . Which is why its really important to see the team and the diabetic nurse and get the advice he needs.
    I am astonished that no one seems to be really clear on al the issues and have a clear understanding about the illness and how to control it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any questions feel free to PM me. Been a type 1 for 20 years and am so interested in it im changing careers to become a dietitian :)