Options

Glad DTC is giving Shirley something to do

jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
Forum Member
Instead of waddling round the square drinking and being bitter! Glad the Carters are becoming a proper family! Shirley was so underused recently[news]- 'EastEnders': Danny Dyer to play new Queen Vic landlord
- Danny Dyer joins 'EastEnders': Is he right for the Queen Vic?[/news]

Comments

• Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect Linda Henry has been a bit pissed off at her storylines this past year, and they needed some way to appease her, without her quitting.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was hoping he was connected to Sharon.

What now for Alfie, Ronnie, Roxy etc?
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect Linda Henry has been a bit pissed off at her storylines this past year, and they needed some way to appease her, without her quitting.

I don't think they would have got her a family just for that. They obviously have bigger plans for her.
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Shirley is going to be a BIG character in 2014.

The Carters are going to be a great family.

Shirley has a BIG reason to stay in the Square because of Tina, her brother, Mick ad her nieces and nephews. Shirley can stay in the Vic omg.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    It is about time the best actors were treated. Linda Henry is a star and deserves this.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what both Linda Henry and her character deserve
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    Me too just a shame its this misogynist tosser Dyer in the role.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Shirley loved being part of the Mitchell family because it boosted her own status by being associated with them. Now, her actual REAL family will arrive and be taking over the Vic - the heart and soul of Walford! :D It will be a great FU moment for her!
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTC did create Shirley so it was bound to happen
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    Shirley loved being part of the Mitchell family because it boosted her own status by being associated with them. Now, her actual REAL family will arrive and be taking over the Vic - the heart and soul of Walford! :D It will be a great FU moment for her!

thats the thing i love about it. shes back in the vic for sure :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that DTC created Shirley, I'm not particularly surprised he's given her more links, however I am surprised that he has essentially put the Carters at the forefront of EastEnders via these castings. 2014 will be the year of the Carters, and all the indicatives that the Branning era has come to end have come to fruition. The big question is where this leaves long-standing families such as the Beales and the Mitchells. The Beales are in a position of strength, given the additions of Peter, Cindy, and Denise (as a 'mother' figure for the Beales) - but the Mitchells, even with Ronnie, have been pretty much fallen a long way since Peggy left. I hope they can still be relevant, too.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I think she'll leave now. She is useless with any 'real' family and so will run a mile when this lot turn up.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she'll leave now. She is useless with any 'real' family and so will run a mile when this lot turn up.

She's learned from past mistakes and is a reformed woman.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, because they're arriving to give her something, more status, somewhere to stay, support.

As soon as she has to do something for them THEN she'll do a runner. :D
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    This is the way it should be. Put the best actors at the front of the show and move the show forward. And we're getting a happily married couple...unheard of.
  • Options
    fruitbasedfruitbased Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Rain wrote: »
    It is about time the best actors were treated. Linda Henry is a star and deserves this.

I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Danny Dyer, but I agree in regards to Shirley/Linda Henry. I know some people don't like the character much, but she's had some great warm moments - such as with Ben (before that all went ridiculous with the Heather murder storyline).
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy with the focus that DTC is giving Shirley. She is one of the best characters in the show and has been used appallingly lately. She wasn't my first choice for the Vic but we shall have to wait and see.

To be fair though, we wanted a happily married couple and we're getting one. We wanted a new family and we're getting one(Shirley's backstory has never been heard of). We wanted new owners and landlors of the Vic and we're getting one. Let's not moan too soon;):D
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B ad bad news. The two bit lush doesnt need anymore screentime,:mad:
  • Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that DTC created Shirley, I'm not particularly surprised he's given her more links, however I am surprised that he has essentially put the Carters at the forefront of EastEnders via these castings. 2014 will be the year of the Carters, and all the indicatives that the Branning era has come to end have come to fruition. The big question is where this leaves long-standing families such as the Beales and the Mitchells. The Beales are in a position of strength, given the additions of Peter, Cindy, and Denise (as a 'mother' figure for the Beales) - but the Mitchells, even with Ronnie, have been pretty much fallen a long way since Peggy left. I hope they can still be relevant, too.

I think you're basing this post on the previous few years where they come up with a great story for one character/family then nothing for like 4/5 months and the inability to show us anything exciting for multiple people/families at any one time.

I think DTC can correct that and build up some really good new characters as well as improve many of the old ones - maybe in the background a bit to start with but the guy knows what EE should be like and bringing in a family I think is just the start of better times for EE
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Was hoping he was connected to Sharon.

What now for Alfie, Ronnie, Roxy etc?

I think Alfie and Danny aka Mick would make a great team, I hope Alfie is still the manager or assistant manager. They'd have a more believable friendship than Ian and Alfie.
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    This is fantastic news :-)
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats the thing i love about it. shes back in the vic for sure :D

It doesn't mean Shirley is back living in the Vic. I expect Shirley to be more involved in the Vic :). She can actually bar Phil by telling Mick to do this :D

Shirley could be a barmaid (like last time) but she have to be nicer to the customers ;)
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure Shirley / Tina will be moving into the Vic anytime soon. Mick and Linda apparently have 3 kids, I know they love packing them in to the pub but where would Shirley or Tina sleep? Especially if Tina has a son with her as rumoured.

Will definitely be interesting to see the dynamics between them all though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Tine will be living with Phil