Capaldi looks too old

Comments

• StarsabovemeStarsaboveme Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Seriously, very craggy and wrinkled. Jenna looks lovely.

Not according to all the tumblrites who are swooning over him, he doesn't. You should see what some of them want to do with him and his wet shirt...:o:D
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,251
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Seriously, very craggy and wrinkled. Jenna looks lovely.

Just like the first guy who played the doctor. He was really old and wrinkly looking too, but even though he isn't one of my favorite incarnations, loads of other fans seem to like him.

That, and as cool as it was to see someone closer to my age play the doctor, I think the character is more convincing when played by an older man, so yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi play the doctor.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldn't be surprised if some of the people critising Capaldi for being too old to play the Doctor are some of the same people that thought Smith was too young... it's just a vicious circle isn't it ?
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a guy in his 50s be too old to play a character who is well over 2,000 years old???

Seriously, Get a grip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a guy in his 50s be too old to play a character who is well over 2,000 years old???

Seriously, Get a grip.

That's exactly what i'm getting at. People always seem to judge how they think a new Doctor is going to be before they see him in action.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know I give Moffat a lot of stick for his Era but I think he done exactly the right thing in casting an older Doctor. It was right to do it now than further down the line, where following a procession of younger Doctors would have made it even more difficult.

And the ground has just been prepared with the War Doctor. :)
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I think Peter Capaldi said it best here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzsVx8qzQQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Even as a hetrosexual guy, I can quite happily say that Peter looks bloody great for 56!! Age doesn't matter - he's a lifelong fan and a marvellous actor
  • SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Not according to all the tumblrites who are swooning over him, he doesn't. You should see what some of them want to do with him and his wet shirt...:o:D

I know, my gf fancies him rotten and goes on tumblr, she says there's an awful lot of girls (and boys) who think the same.

As a straight man, I don't see the sex appeal but he definitely looks good for fifty odd.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    2000+ :blush:

Going by the new trailer he is, they are really cranking up the years, seems like only yesterday he was a mere 900
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    i think you'e too young to post on these boards... seriously juvenile

This.

The OP sounds like an idiot with no idea of the history of the show. But I suppose we'll get more of these now the end of term is here.

The Doctor wasn't always a twenty year old hottie for teenagers to squee over.

Personally, i am delighted the show has gone back to its roots and cast a fifty-something actor. We've had too many boys lately, and getting younger and younger at that. The way things were going we'd have ended up with Dr Who the Embryo ...
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Wonderful William Hartnell.. Marvellous Matt Smith. Who fecking cares about the age of the actor. (well, a few people, it seems.) If you've got it.....you've got it. I look forward to seeing if Peter C has.....

This! :)
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    It's funny. When Tom Baker was cast as the Doctor, I remember a letter to 'Points of View' from a fourteen year old, complaining that the new Doctor was 'too young' and 'looked like a student.'

How times change ....

I feel part of the problem is due to an effort on the part of NewWho to sex the Doctor up, with all the kissing, little romances with his companions, etc. and all to attract teenage fangirls to swoon over eye-candy.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I feel part of the problem is due to an effort on the part of NewWho to sex the Doctor up, with all the kissing, little romances with his companions, etc. and all to attract teenage fangirls to swoon over eye-candy.

Funny, Moffat talks about this in SFX.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking he is looking pretty good myself. But then i'm in my early 40's so I probably would :p
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny, Moffat talks about this in SFX.
    What does he say?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does he say?

Something about it all being different when they started with the "sexier" kissing Doctors, but it has gotten rather samey and repetitive and is no longer interesting.

Something like that.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerduck wrote: »
    I'm thinking he is looking pretty good myself. But then i'm in my early 40's so I probably would :p

You probably would? Oooerrr, vicar.

Sorry. Mid 40's here so much closer to Capaldi than Smith age-wise, but still insist it doesn't matter a jot. Peter D was 30-ish when I became a rabid fan when I was 12, and that seemed well old to my pre-teen self!
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something about it all being different when they started with the "sexier" kissing Doctors, but it has gotten rather samey and repetitive and is no longer interesting.

Something like that.

Amen. I prefer my Doctors more avuncular and I will be glad to see a return to that dynamic. :)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Going by the new trailer he is, they are really cranking up the years, seems like only yesterday he was a mere 900

He spent about 700 years on Trenzalore in the last episode.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something like that.
    Well, it's annoying as there's never going to be any pay-off to the kissing and flirting. (Apart from Rose and Meta 10.) The idea of the companion having a "Will they? Won't they?" relationship with the Doctor soon loses its sheen when the answer to that question is "No, they obviously won't."

Besides, Moffat has already neatly sidestepped this by giving the Doctor a wife who shows up occasionally.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eccelston - doesn't look eccentric enough
    Tennant - too good looking
    Smith - too young
    Capaldi - too old

Why does this happen every time, right before a new Doctor debuts? Then, once the series starts airing, we'll have a fun mix of people saying he's wonderful and people claiming the series will be cancelled within a year.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Eccelston - doesn't look eccentric enough
    Tennant - too good looking
    Smith - too young
    Capaldi - too old

Why does this happen every time, right before a new Doctor debuts? Then, once the series starts airing, we'll have a fun mix of people saying he's wonderful and people claiming the series will be cancelled within a year.

Human beings don't like change, it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He spent about 700 years on Trenzalore in the last episode.

Also did'nt he spend some time travelling about during series 6 when he thought he was going to die
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Didn't we already have this thread?