Options

Is there a rule on short skirts in schools now?

13»

Comments

• Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you want your daughter going to school looking like a teeny ****? Have some respect. Schools are a place to work not show off your legs.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    She's been told often enough she's not going to school dressed like a tart :D

All worked out in the end..she liked the flared skirt and she's been complimented at school for being different and not wearing a skirt halfway up her arse!
    Don't kid yourself. She'll probably be doing exactly what girls did when I was at school – simply rolling the waist band over until it reaches the required length (or lack of it) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a private school for girls and we had a special skirt only available from one place. We also had skirt checks sometimes with a ruler as skirts were supposed to be knee length.

It was a bit stupid though as the skirts were only available in one length. And when everyone is of a different height, the skirt lengths are going to vary from girl to girl. Mine was about 3 inches above my knee and my friend, who was close to 6ft, had it barely covering her bum. I remember we were getting nagged at about it and she was saying to the teacher "well, what do you expect me to do? Sew another skirt onto the bottom?!"

I agree, really short skirts aren't really appropriate for school, but if the skirt is only one universal length, have some common sense please school!
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No rule at our local Girls School , The Daphne Farquar School For Young Ladies.

Here are the winners of the 4th Year Debating Competition .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8474/8124529600_b3d6a8a504_z.jpg
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Why would you want your daughter going to school looking like a teeny ****? Have some respect. Schools are a place to work not show off your legs.

mine and my friend`s parents didn`t send us off to school in short skirts, nor received us so on our return but we spent all day with our skirts hitched to our elbows, teenage doesn`t really change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    She's been told often enough she's not going to school dressed like a tart :D

All worked out in the end..she liked the flared skirt and she's been complimented at school for being different and not wearing a skirt halfway up her arse!

Well done this mum, who wants to see what the girls had for breakfast :o
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,306
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Interestingly it's design originated from traditional dress often worn in Bavaria.

Seen plenty like this young lady here.

And here! :D:D

Yes the dirndl skirt does originate from the traditional dress of Bavaria. Although I am referring to the skirt only and not the rest of the outfit!

This skirt was long, down to the ankles. It was a heavy linen, gathered at an elasticated waist. The background was vertical purple & white stripes with a daisy like print. Because of the gathered waist it ballooned hideously and at the time was very unfashionable.

I was very tiny & petite at age 12/13 and the skirt drowned me. Shame I don't have a pic but no camera phones at that time - unfortunately! (or perhaps fortunately):D
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly it's design originated from traditional dress often worn in Bavaria.

Seen plenty like this young lady here.

Wasn't that also the source of the "topless dress" that failed to catch on in the 1960s?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    same here too,my daughter can only wear skirts to the knee,but can wear trousers too
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Wasn't that also the source of the "topless dress" that failed to catch on in the 1960s?
    Some interesting facts here on Topless Timeline. :D

The Yanks really are a weird lot. From 1992 it became legal to go topless in New York......but then promptly arrest a woman for doing so! :confused:

Also Ontario declared itself 'top free' four years later in 1996.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Yes the dirndl skirt does originate from the traditional dress of Bavaria. Although I am referring to the skirt only and not the rest of the outfit!

This skirt was long, down to the ankles. It was a heavy linen, gathered at an elasticated waist. The background was vertical purple & white stripes with a daisy like print. Because of the gathered waist it ballooned hideously and at the time was very unfashionable.

I was very tiny & petite at age 12/13 and the skirt drowned me. Shame I don't have a pic but no camera phones at that time - unfortunately! (or perhaps fortunately):D
    BIB.........difficult if this was during the early 60's, Quant, Twiggy and the mini skirt!

However traditional Bavarian dresses as shown can look very appealing.......on a woman with the 'right' figure! ;-):D
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting facts here on Topless Timeline. :D

The Yanks really are a weird lot. From 1992 it became legal to go topless in New York......but then promptly arrest a woman for doing so! :confused:

Also Ontario declared itself 'top free' four years later in 1996.

I was born in 1992.........
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with kids and school uniform, don't they realise when they join the world of work a uniform is the norm, wether you work in a supermarket, fast food outlet, drive a bus, or are an airline pilot or nurse, you HAVE to wear a uniform in so many jobs, get used to it. I was in London last week and the kids looked really smart, no make up allowed, including nail varnish and if they 'forget' to wear their blazers they're sent home. Here in Scotland, the girls particularly are a mess, skin tight black jeans, leggings or lycra 'belts', hoodies and baseball boots, faces thick with panstick makeup and ridiculous eyebrows that appear drawn on with a marker pen!
  • Options
    jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My school uniform was an assault on all fashion sense and no shortening of the brown kilt would have made it better!

Skirts had to be precisely 2 inches below the knee and there were regular inspections. The teachers would hide on various routes to school and dish out detentions to offenders. We had a brown blazer, brown shoes, brown socks or tights and a uniform trench coat.

I've just looked at the school website and the uniform has improved slightly since 1992, but also seems to have got even more strict. Now you HAVE to wear tights between Oct and May. Just let them wear a nice pair of poo brown slacks, for goodness sake. Also, in the 6th Form we could wear whatever we wanted, but now they have to wear a suit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    this school girl at the bus stop wears very short black skirt and black tights , and her blouse and tie loose, and blue nail varnish :D..back in my day no such thing was allowed nor tones of make up they were lol
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes think skirts should be phased out altogether. Trousers look a lot smarter, IMO.

I agree. Skirts were banned years ago at the senior school my sons attended. Girls and boys wear virtually the same uniform.
    My daughter goes to a different school (she has special needs) and I always put her in trousers for school. I think it looks much better and more practical.