Options

Bullfights are bullsh*t

Comments

• Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see a bullfight a few years back after reading in a travel brochure that this particular one was simply a staged spectacle - it wasnt.

What was obvious though (before we walked out) was that the bull was severely drugged prior to coming into the ring. You could see it get increasingly dopey during the course of the "fight" and eventually it even started stumbling over its own feet. It wasnt until this point that the guy started to get close enough to start sticking spears in it.

Hardly a fair fight.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother said she got invited to an event that was basically being extremely cruel to animals. The woman told my mother that they were going to hang a chicken upside down and watch people swinging a sword around until the chicken's head got chopped off, and, they were also going to push a goat/donkey off an opening in a disused building or castle which was very high off the ground. My mother said she FIRMLY refused her offer and that the woman just 'looked' at her before leaving for the event. How on earth can middle aged people find this sort of thing entertaining? I'm sure that they wouldn't like the same thing done to their beloved pet at home if they have one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I went to see a bullfight a few years back after reading in a travel brochure that this particular one was simply a staged spectacle - it wasnt.

What was obvious though (before we walked out) was that the bull was severely drugged prior to coming into the ring. You could see it get increasingly dopey during the course of the "fight" and eventually it even started stumbling over its own feet. It wasnt until this point that the guy started to get close enough to start sticking spears in it.

Hardly a fair fight.

Which reinforces the fact that they're complete cowards.
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Which reinforces the fact that they're complete cowards.

I've gotta be honest zx, that guys description is nothing like the one I went to. Having done quite a lot of reading about the subject, the one I saw is very typical of the Spanish version.

It's interesting to read about people delighting in the death or maiming of the Torero. They state he deserves it for the torture he puts the animal through. Yet the ironic thing is, he isn't the one who indulges in the torture. It's the picador who spears the bull, it's the banderilleros who insert the 6 barbs. The Torero administers the kill. Yet, he's the one that the blood-thirsty one here want killed.

What is apparent is that some posters spout forth opinion based on little, no, or incorrect facts.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't delight in death. Nor do I delight in torture/suffering for the purpose of entertainment. I would never indulge and find it hard to understand the mentality of anyone who would delight in, or simply enjoy, such a spectacle.

Having said that, humans have done such things for centuries with different animals (and sometimes humans) providing the source of entertainment. A lot of have been banned over the years, and I hope that one day they all are.

Humans are a fairly bloodthirsty species, one way or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotta be honest zx, that guys description is nothing like the one I went to. Having done quite a lot of reading about the subject, the one I saw is very typical of the Spanish version.

It's interesting to read about people delighting in the death or maiming of the Torero. They state he deserves it for the torture he puts the animal through. Yet the ironic thing is, he isn't the one who indulges in the torture. It's the picador who spears the bull, it's the banderilleros who insert the 6 barbs. The Torero administers the kill. Yet, he's the one that the blood-thirsty one here want killed.

What is apparent is that some posters spout forth opinion based on little, no, or incorrect facts.

Fair enough, but he's still unnecessarily antagonising the bull though. It's nature for a living thing that can move about and is big enough to retaliate when it's being extremely provoked. ANYONE who has a hand in killing the bull is a coward as they're likely to have some advantage. I've saw videos, yes, okay, videos, of where they drag the bull fighter to safety once the bull gets an advantage. That's not fair, or, right at all.
  • Options
    EyeLikeBeerEyeLikeBeer Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humans are vile. I much prefer dogs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it was one unarmed man versus a 500kg bull then would people be happy? Obviously the guy wouldn't stand a chance. Believe me, when those bulls race into the arena they look mad! Would people then moan about it being an unfair contest then? Would they demand the guy is at least given a weapon?
    I was just wondering because people do mention the "unfair" element of the event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was one unarmed man versus a 500kg bull then would people be happy? Obviously the guy wouldn't stand a chance. Believe me, when those bulls race into the arena they look mad! Would people then moan about it being an unfair contest then? Would they demand the guy is at least given a weapon?
    I was just wondering because people do mention the "unfair" element of the event.

I think my point is, I don't want it to be a fair contest at all. I don't even want these bull fights happening, but, unfortunately, they will continue as long as demand's there.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wouldnt make a difference to me if it were a man against a bull, a bull against a bull or a man against a man, I find the idea of a tortorous bloody fight, probably to the death, being presented as some kind of entertainment quite horrific.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    It wouldnt make a difference to me if it were a man against a bull, a bull against a bull or a man against a man, I find the idea of a tortorous bloody fight, probably to the death, being presented as some kind of entertainment quite horrific.

Exactly!

I cannot understand how anyone would want to watch a bullfight. It is horrific.
  • Options
    Mikey RocksMikey Rocks Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Sometimes it's just best to leave well enough alone.
  • Options
    SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member

Forcing an animal into any situation for the purpose of causing them unnecessary harm can never be "fair".
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    Yes, it's monstrous and it's inexplicable to me how anyone could try and make it sound as if it isn't or defend it.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, it's monstrous and it's inexplicable to me how anyone could try and make it sound as if it isn't or defend it.

I feel exactly the same.

It demeans both those who take part and those who get their perverted thrills from watching it.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    How exactly is it perverted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chaddy wrote: »
    How exactly is it perverted?
    I just don't think it's normal and healthy to get your pleasure from watching a living thing suffer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sick, pure sick. How can it be fun watching a bull get murdered?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is sick, pure sick. How can it be fun watching a bull get murdered?

No, what is really sick is saying of a fellow person "That is why I am glad they die".
    Yes you are GLAD they die. Your sensibilities are very warped.
    To repeat you are GLAD, ie you take pleasure in the death of a man, yet you wail over the death of a bull.
    Sort yourself out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, what is really sick is saying of a fellow person "That is why I am glad they die".
    To repeat you are GLAD, ie you take pleasure in the death of a man, yet you wail over the death of a bull.
    Sort yourself out.

I understand why this topic is emotive but I agree with you Ricardo. There are some folk on here who are sick and its not the ones who are curious about Spanish culture enough to have read about what actually happens at a bullfight, or even the ones who have been to see the spectacle.

I think I'd find it abhorrent but yes, I'd go to a bullfight. I've grown up a lot since I was 13 and my life is for grabbing every opportunity and learning as much as I can about other cultures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort yourself out.

I am glad when they die. Why should I feel sympathy for someone who teases a bull knowing full well they could be killed? They put themselves out there and I couldnt give a shit if the bull shoved their horns through their heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing to learn about this sick culture. It is just bastards torturing and murdering a bull for their own pleasure and entertainment. If I could, I would bomb the entire stadiums across Spain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the bulls had an even chance, that is, if they were not doctored or drugged or disabled, for each bull killed there would be a bullfighter killed, and within a year the fatalities would become too much. No-one would become a bullfighter if it was a matter of a 50-50 chance of death.
    Then it would die out, very quickly. The only hope now is that it becomes uneconomic to continue to kill bulls like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad when they die. Why should I feel sympathy for someone who teases a bull knowing full well they could be killed? They put themselves out there and I couldnt give a shit if the bull shoved their horns through their heart.

If they like 'dicing with death' why don't they just go out on the motorway and play with the traffic?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing to learn about this sick culture. It is just bastards torturing and murdering a bull for their own pleasure and entertainment. If I could, I would bomb the entire stadiums across Spain.

With all due respect you sound like me when I was 13. All ill-conceived aggression and bluster but no real argument.

How you can't see that terrorism is sick is beyond me.