Options

Humax Foxsat-HD No Signal

chandleochandleo Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I've had my Humax Foxsat HD for about 3 years, suddenly in the last couple of weeks It's No Signal on everything, tried First Time installation and again No Signal.

I know it's been a bit rainy/windy recently but didn't think it had been strong enough to move the dish, so just wanted to ask if anyone else had had an issue with the Humax Foxsat HD causing this issue and if it was likely to be the box rather than the dish, obviously I don't want to be phoning around to try and find a non rip-off dish installation company and having it replaced/repointed and it turn out to be a box issue.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most likely a power supply problem. I have seen reports of bulging capacitors, a easy problem to rectify if you can use a soldering iron. The HD does run rather hot.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obvious thing is do you have a friend or relative with a dish, where you could take your box and try it. That would tell you if it's the dish or the box.

Sad to hear Humax freesat boxes are suffering capacitor failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    Obvious thing is do you have a friend or relative with a dish, where you could take your box and try it. That would tell you if it's the dish or the box.

Good thinking, I will take to the mother-in-laws and see if it works there!

Many Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »

It only appears so far to affect the Foxsat-HD. Not used mine in a while but it did run very hot compared to the HDR model.

Found this

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14186815-post7.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Managed to borrow an old Sky box which I plugged in and it seemed to work for about 5 minutes before changing to the dreaded No Signal Message, so looks as though I have a Dish or Cabling issue.

So need to start phoning around for someone who can pop up a ladder and repoint for me! (I'm in a second floor flat, so not in the mood to do it myself!)

Oh and Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Yes it seems that there is a batch of humax hd boxes that after about two years of use are suffering the dreaded bulging caps.in the psu. the symptoms to look out for are unit not booting up, continuous looping of the green display on front of the unit, replaced two caps. today with better quality ones than the CapXons that are fitted,the offenders on my humax were , C12, 2200uf 10v and C23 680uf 25v, all working fine now,Have heard humax want £84 to fix this, cost me £4. inc p+p.Got a feeling this post might get some hammer in the not to distant future.
  • Options
    Will-in-EstorilWill-in-Estoril Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I have spoken to Mike Dranfield of Digifix Ltd, a well-respected repairer of digiboxes and known to members of this forum. Mike has not yet come across a failing Humax yet, but will try and get hold of one in the next few days to carry out a repair on it. Once he has done so, he should be able to offer a repair service, which would be fantastic for those not confident about soldering.

I know all the arguments about the Sale of Goods Act, but I suspect many will be looking for a quick and inexpensive fix.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it could be the LNB Failing...
    The Skyman
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, I'm a bit confused to be honest, the Sky box worked perfectly for a few minutes before going to No Signal, if the dish is mis-aligned surely it would not have worked at all?
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandleo, you could have a look at the internal workings of your Humax and make a diagnosis yourself. The Power Supply Unit (PSU) will be the board that has the mains cable coming out of it or the two pin mains input socket attached to it (I do not have a Foxsat so do not know the layout but it will be one of these). Take a look at the capacitors on the board (they look like litttle barrels), they should all have totally flat tops, any that are domed, bulging (no matter how slight) or worse have poped open and have gunk leaking out of them will have failed and need replacing. If you are not sure what to look for, follow the links on this post from the Sky HD forum for pictures of failed capacitors. If you are still unsure, take some clear digital pictures and upload them to a photo sharing site like flickr and one of us will have a look for you. Make sure you do all of this with the unit unplugged and don't go prodding around the internals with your fingers or a screwdriver as some capacitors can hold a large charge for quite a while after being unpluged).

If Humax used CapXon capacitors in the Foxsat PSU I am not surprised they have failed. CapXon is a cheap poor brand and premature failure is very common. Thomson used CapXons in the original Sky+ HD boxes and these have all pretty much either died or been repaired by now. The photos I linked to above are all of failed CapXon capacitors. They are a cheap rubbish brand and I am surprised Humax went down that route as they (Humax) have a good reputation for build quality. Thomson were well known as a bunch of cheapskates who would use any old cheap crap in their PSUs as long as most of them lasted 13 months.

Any decent repairer (such as the excellent Michael Dranfield mentioned above) would replace these with Panasonic capacitors (preferably FC grade) as these are far higher quality and should never fail again. Satcure supply a repair kit for the Foxsat which is £8.95 + VAT & P&P. I have not ordered one but I would be surprised if the kit did not feature Panasonic parts as Satcure do not sell cheap rubbish. Obviously there are cheaper sources of kits on eBay, but do you want to fit it and forget it or install a cheap kit and repair again in 12 months or so (there are even worse brands than CapXon out there so beware).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I have spoken to Mike Dranfield of Digifix Ltd, a well-respected repairer of digiboxes and known to members of this forum. Mike has not yet come across a failing Humax yet, but will try and get hold of one in the next few days to carry out a repair on it. Once he has done so, he should be able to offer a repair service, which would be fantastic for those not confident about soldering.

I know all the arguments about the Sale of Goods Act, but I suspect many will be looking for a quick and inexpensive fix.

PSU repair kits have been available for some time from Satcure. I have repaired two Humax boxes recently using these PSU kits. Both boxes were over two years old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Masteriser, i have been looking at the forums re this problem, and there are quite a lot of people posting this issue as a failure to boot up, and as you pointed out, i indeed replaced the two failed capacitors with panasonic ones, glad i got decent ones, thanks for the info
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi chandeleo, have had a look at my post re your no signal issue, are you getting the continuous looping green lights on front display on startup on the humax
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Masteriser wrote: »
    If Humax used CapXon capacitors in the Foxsat PSU I am not surprised they have failed. CapXon is a cheap poor brand and premature failure is very common.

Here's another thread about the Foxsat HD PSU failure:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=45898891
    Post #35 got pictures of a failing C12 - CapXon KF-series.

C12 (2200uF 10V) failure will cause boot issue.
    C23 (680uF 25V) is on the 12V supply and supplies the LNB, hence it could cause loss of signal, although I'm not convinced this is the case here.

£8.95 + VAT & P&P for the kit is quite expensive, if it's only replacement for C12 and C23.
    Key thing for replacement caps is ultra low ESR - I've now got one 2200uF with 21mOhm ESR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiach wrote: »
    £8.95 + VAT & P&P for the kit is quite expensive, if it's only replacement for C12 and C23.
    Key thing for replacement caps is ultra low ESR - I've now got one 2200uF with 21mOhm ESR.

Knowing Satcure, their prices are not the cheapest but very fair given the quality of the parts they supply, I would guess there are probably more than 2 Caps in this kit. Satcure generally supply Panasonic capacitors, which as I mentioned above, are fantastically reliable in Satellite receiver power supplies. They generally like repairs carried out with their kits to last and last. Provided you do not do anything stupid, you should expect to get at least 3 years from any Satcure kit (normally much more). Obviously any brand can be used Rubycon & Nichicon are also good (as long as you can ensure you have bought originals and not been supplied with Chinese fakes) but Panasonic usually have the edge in long term reliability IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone,

Will sit down with the box over the weekend and let you know what I find :-)

Thanks again, really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck,

Post back here with further questions and links to pictures if you need to.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The capacitors in the power supply problem is not the cause of this as you do not have the symptom, When one goes, you cannot load the main software but the "chasing snake" or circling on the display just continues. You simply do not get far enough into the boot process to get the "no signal" message.

I have had it several times in the past week and we have a communal dish. In my case it is obviously down to reception conditions. I have put it down to heavy showers interupting the signal but ir not actually raining here as the rain has been very patchy but intense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    The capacitors in the power supply problem is not the cause of this as you do not have the symptom, When one goes, you cannot load the main software but the "chasing snake" or circling on the display just continues. You simply do not get far enough into the boot process to get the "no signal" message.

I have had it several times in the past week and we have a communal dish. In my case it is obviously down to reception conditions. I have put it down to heavy showers interupting the signal but ir not actually raining here as the rain has been very patchy but intense.

A communal install that loses signal in all but the most extreme weather (I am talking the dish coated in wet snow) is totally inadequate. In nearly 4 yrs I lost the signal once and that was caused by a a 6 inch layer of wet snow on the dish face (shifted in a minute by Mk1 broom), that includes monsoon conditions. You need to contact your local services management. That is certainly not normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the humax fails to boot, then you will get a NO SIGNAL message on the display montor and this is symptomatic of the cap failure i described, it depends on when the NO SIGNAL is displayed, ie, during boot up, or if boot up is sucessful, and No signal is displayed, that is another issue, ie lnb problem, cable problem, or it can also be a failed cap, ie the C23 680 uf 25v which feeds the lnb
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »
    Thomson were well known as a bunch of cheapskates who would use any old cheap crap in their PSUs as long as most of them lasted 13 months.

Thomson actually bought in the PSUs ready made from Samsung. The rest of the build quality of the Thomsons is very good and very little esle causes problems except the HDD. The poor quality capacitor even occurs very frequently on at least one model of Technomate as well - the TM9100.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomson actually bought in the PSUs ready made from Samsung. The rest of the build quality of the Thomsons is very good and very little esle causes problems except the HDD. The poor quality capacitor even occurs very frequently on at least one model of Technomate as well - the TM9100.
    I couln't agree with you more Dave. I regularly state on here that PSU & HDD aside the Thomson Sky HD box is a good piece of kit. Mine has and continues to be excellent (albeit a bit slow compared to Today's boxes). The PSUs were built apparently by Samsung but to Thomson's spec and were rubbish. This is a pity for Thomson as it lead to their very poor reputation.

I have recently rebuilt the PSU in a Thomson DTi 6300 Top Up TV box to use as a FreeView PVR for my parents (I got it for £20.00 on eBay!). The PSU was loaded with CapXon capacitors, but as with the satellite boxes the rest of the build quality is very good for domestic kit. Since the repair (I changed all the caps for Panasonics) it has been rock solid reliable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Had the same - eternal boot cycle on our Humax Foxsat HD.
    Opened it up, and sure enough, both caps mentioned were bulging - with one actually leaking. So, 2 capacitors costing £2.25 - job done - fixed.

Joined the forum just to say thanks
  • Options
    stenellystenelly Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    stenelly wrote: »

from the other thread about this subject