Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 2nd January - talkSPORT

Georgie Bingham presented Kick Off Exclusive with Stan Collymore at Stamford Bridge

Premier League
    Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (7.45pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside and James Dodd producing
    Liverpool v Sunderland - Graham Beecroft
    Newcastle United v Everton - Graham Courtney

Sam mentioned during commentary that Tony Incenzo was at Stamford Bridge this evening, but I think he was there either to do something for the written media or simply as a supporter.

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers - Phil Blacker and Paul McVeigh (featured 7.45pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Liverpool v Sunderland - Kevin Hatchard
    Newcastle United v Everton - Toby Gilles

The list of commentaries on talkSPORT.com has been updated to include the FA Cup Third Round ties kicking off at 3pm on Saturday that talkSPORT Live are planning to cover. These games are Macclesfield Town v Cardiff City, Peterborough United v Norwich City and Southampton v Chelsea, although I expect a few more matches may be added later in the week.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information, I hadn't seen that posted to Jim's Twitter. Given that most of the European football leagues Jim covers for ESPN are in the midst of their winter breaks until mid-January (in any case, ESPN are likely to prioritise their live coverage of the darts over as-live continental football), then surely the day he'll be missing is the Saturday of the semi-finals in order to commentate for Absolute - unless he's working on FA Cup Third Round Saturday/Sunday in order to commentate for ITV1 and ESPN's highlights. The former scenario is probably the more likely though.

I didn't know Jim prioritised Rock 'N' Roll Football Live ahead of the PDC European Championship last year, but he wouldn't be the first commentator to prioritise radio football coverage ahead of darts. I remember Nigel Pearson putting his talkSPORT Football First duties ahead of weekend coverage of the Grand Slam of Darts during that tournament's inaugural year (2007) when he was involved in the ITV4 coverage. And even these days, Nigel still gets in plenty of football reporting work for talkSPORT around his Sky Sports tournament darts commentaries - just the other day he reported on West Bromwich Albion v Fulham before commentating on the first half of the PDC World Championship Final for Sky 3D.

if Absolute radio's 12th Jan commentary is within easy traveling distance of the lakeside, might he be able to travel back to cover the second (evening) semi final. if the BDO schedule is as last year, bbc covered the afternoon semi with the espn semi starting around half 7-8PM. only guessing as my geography isn't good enough to know if there are any premier league grounds he could get back from in time. with his espn work, i'd guess JP has done more than 1 commentary in a day off/tube before.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if Absolute radio's 12th Jan commentary is within easy traveling distance of the lakeside, might he be able to travel back to cover the second (evening) semi final. if the BDO schedule is as last year, bbc covered the afternoon semi with the espn semi starting around half 7-8PM. only guessing as my geography isn't good enough to know if there are any premier league grounds he could get back from in time. with his espn work, i'd guess JP has done more than 1 commentary in a day off/tube before.

West Ham is nearest premier league ground 11 miles away
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dzfootball wrote: »
    West Ham is nearest premier league ground 11 miles away

Interesting theory Steve, but in any event Absolute Radio have subsequently announced their live commentary for Saturday 12th January since I last posted in this thread. They'll be covering Aston Villa v Southampton (which in my opinion is the best pick of that Saturday's 3pm games aside from the Today FM and probable Radio 5 Live choice of Stoke City v Chelsea).

For the record, West Ham aren't playing at home a week on Saturday. Of the Premier League teams that are, the closest to the Lakeside Country Club are Fulham and Reading, with both Craven Cottage and the Madejski Stadium being within an hour of it. Villa Park is over two hours away from the Lakeside, possibly more depending on the traffic, so if JP is able to get away from the ground at 5.30pm (I don't believe he does post-match interviews for Absolute, but typically he sticks around until 5.15/20pm to discuss the day's action on the round-table style opener to Ian Wright's phone-in) at best he would be cutting it fine to make the second BDO World Championship semi-final even if it were to start at the later time of 8pm.

As such it would seem likely that he'll be missing semi-final Saturday at the darts, unless there's a reason why he needs one of the other eight days of the tournament off and Absolute Radio have agreed to bring someone in to fill in for him at Villa Park next Saturday. Assuming he is to miss the semi-finals, will Tony Green and Vassos Alexander be doing both matches in full or might BBC One/ESPN draft in a few current/ex-pros to lighten the load on co-commentary duty? Probably the wrong thread for this tangent but there you go!
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,557
    Forum Member
    Does anybody have details of last night's Five live reporters?
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ian,

Last night Mark Chapman hosted with David Pleat + Robbie Savage

Chelsea v QPR - Alistair Bruce-Ball + Nigel Spackman
    Liverpool v Sunderland - Ian Brown + Jan Molby
    Newcastle v Everton - Conor McNamara + Danny Mills

Tonight

Hearts v Hibs - Roddy Forsyth, Pat Nevin + Conor McNamara
    Forum Member
    Thanks Shan_d. Impressively quick
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to hear Roddy on commentary, one of my 5Live favourites and a voice I've heard all the years I've listened to 5Live since the mid 90's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    Seasons greetings everyone.

Does anyone have details for Sports Extra yesterday? They had commentary of Hull v Leeds and Forest v Palace I believe, be interested to know if they used their own teams or just took local coverage.
    Hull City V Leeds United used BBC 'umberside commentary.

Just getting back to you on this Shaun as, Ian C apart, nobody had replied to your message.

Of the two commentaries, only the latter has been uploaded to the Radio 5 Live Sports Extra iPlayer website. However, from Twitter I have discovered that BBC Radio Humberside's commentary team on Hull City v Leeds United was David Burns and Peter Swan.

For Nottingham Forest v Crystal Palace, they simulcast BBC Radio Nottingham. Robin Chipperfield presented Matchday from the City Ground, with Colin Fray and John McGovern commentating on the game for all RN frequencies as both Notts County and Mansfield Town's games on the 29th were postponed. Matchday also took half-time and full-time reports on Premier League and selected Championship games from Radio 5 Live.

I see Ian F updated Boxing Day's 5LSE commentary while Ian C covered New Year's Day. All three commentaries came from BBC Local Radio, which is pleasing to hear. I really think doing this is the way forward for the channel both in terms of maximising their Football League rights in a cost-effective way and in providing listeners with real variety in the coverage they are broadcasting.

Yesterday, Radio 5 Live Sports Extra broadcast Celtic v Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League and I presume they will have simulcast BBC Radio Scotland's commentary, however their coverage has not been uploaded to the iPlayer so I cannot check. Is anyone in the position to confirm that this is what they did and provide their commentary details?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting theory Steve, but in any event Absolute Radio have subsequently announced their live commentary for Saturday 12th January since I last posted in this thread. They'll be covering Aston Villa v Southampton (which in my opinion is the best pick of that Saturday's 3pm games aside from the Today FM and probable Radio 5 Live choice of Stoke City v Chelsea).

For the record, West Ham aren't playing at home a week on Saturday. Of the Premier League teams that are, the closest to the Lakeside Country Club are Fulham and Reading, with both Craven Cottage and the Madejski Stadium being within an hour of it. Villa Park is over two hours away from the Lakeside, possibly more depending on the traffic, so if JP is able to get away from the ground at 5.30pm (I don't believe he does post-match interviews for Absolute, but typically he sticks around until 5.15/20pm to discuss the day's action on the round-table style opener to Ian Wright's phone-in) at best he would be cutting it fine to make the second BDO World Championship semi-final even if it were to start at the later time of 8pm.

As such it would seem likely that he'll be missing semi-final Saturday at the darts, unless there's a reason why he needs one of the other eight days of the tournament off and Absolute Radio have agreed to bring someone in to fill in for him at Villa Park next Saturday. Assuming he is to miss the semi-finals, will Tony Green and Vassos Alexander be doing both matches in full or might BBC One/ESPN draft in a few current/ex-pros to lighten the load on co-commentary duty? Probably the wrong thread for this tangent but there you go!

thanks Difference, yes, that would seem to exclude JP from a darts semi final commentary. shame to miss the second biggest day of the tournament for him but there you go. I'll be interested to hear how he goes, i'm a huge fan of his radio football work but thought he was poor on the two previous darts events he's done for ESPN. he's new to the sport though and better than Vassos Alexander.
    i suspect Green and Alexander will cover the BBC semi in the afternoon and green/alexander with probably current player in the evening for ESPN. ESPN seem to like doing this so it would make sense as 2 long matches in one day might be a bit heavy going for Tony Green these days.

back to the football (apologies for also going o/t) really pleased to hear Ian Brown back on 5live-- i know it has been said already, just wanted to add my voice to the mix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just getting back to you on this Shaun as, Ian C apart, nobody had replied to your message.

Of the two commentaries, only the latter has been uploaded to the Radio 5 Live Sports Extra iPlayer website. However, from Twitter I have discovered that BBC Radio Humberside's commentary team on Hull City v Leeds United was David Burns and Peter Swan.

For Nottingham Forest v Crystal Palace, they simulcast BBC Radio Nottingham. Robin Chipperfield presented Matchday from the City Ground, with Colin Fray and John McGovern commentating on the game for all RN frequencies as both Notts County and Mansfield Town's games on the 29th were postponed. Matchday also took half-time and full-time reports on Premier League and selected Championship games from Radio 5 Live.

I see Ian F updated Boxing Day's 5LSE commentary while Ian C covered New Year's Day. All three commentaries came from BBC Local Radio, which is pleasing to hear. I really think doing this is the way forward for the channel both in terms of maximising their Football League rights in a cost-effective way and in providing listeners with real variety in the coverage they are broadcasting.

Yesterday, Radio 5 Live Sports Extra broadcast Celtic v Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League and I presume they will have simulcast BBC Radio Scotland's commentary, however the game has not been uploaded so I cannot check. Is anyone in the position to confirm that this is what they did and provide their commentary details?

I really enjoy the Fray/McGovern partnership, they work well with each other and bring real insight to the game. I believe they've been working together some years now and I think Fray is an excellent commentator.
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Nottingham seems to have persevered with (not in a negative sense) Colin Fray for Nottingham Forest, Colin Slater for Notts County and David Jackson for Mansfield Town for a fair length of time. Robin Chipperfield (ex-BBC Essex) is probably the "new boy" and he's been there for many a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks Difference, yes, that would seem to exclude JP from a darts semi final commentary. shame to miss the second biggest day of the tournament for him but there you go. I'll be interested to hear how he goes, i'm a huge fan of his radio football work but thought he was poor on the two previous darts events he's done for ESPN. he's new to the sport though and better than Vassos Alexander.
    i suspect Green and Alexander will cover the BBC semi in the afternoon and green/alexander with probably current player in the evening for ESPN. ESPN seem to like doing this so it would make sense as 2 long matches in one day might be a bit heavy going for Tony Green these days.

I've heard mostly positive reviews about Jim Proudfoot's darts commentary work. That said, I'm not in a position to judge yet so it would not surprise me if he struggled to adapt to the sport when coming at it as a newcomer. I felt John Rawling and Peter Drury struggled initially when they were introduced to it on ITV4's Grand Slam of Darts coverage but over time they have both improved markedly. JP is my favourite football commentator on either (both) mediums, so I am looking forward to hearing him next week as I have not had the chance to catch any of ESPN's darts coverage thus far.

As for the semi-finals, I suppose ESPN might use the Dutch player Niels de Ruiter, who was a pundit on their coverage of the Lakeside last year and has co-commentated on the PDC event for Dutch TV, with Vassos should he be there in a media capacity. Of course it be the BBC who choose to rest Tony Green for their semi-final and use either Bobby George or an eliminated player (the likes of Martin Adams or Darryl Fitton have done co-commentary before) with Vassos.

On the subject of the darts, Dan Dawson reported on the PDC World Championship for talkSPORT and seemingly every local radio station in the country but did Radio 5 Live have anyone at Alexandra Palace this year? It has been a few years since they last had a reporter there but I'd be interested to know if this changed this year.
    IanFergus wrote: »
    BBC Radio Nottingham seems to have persevered with (not in a negative sense) Colin Fray for Nottingham Forest, Colin Slater for Notts County and David Jackson for Mansfield Town for a fair length of time. Robin Chipperfield (ex-BBC Essex) is probably the "new boy" and he's been there for many a year.

Robin Chipperfield has been BBC Radio Nottingham's Matchday host for almost 15 years - ever since Martin Fisher went freelance in 1999 - but anyone would seem like a "new boy" when compared to Colin Slater, who has been covering Notts County for them since the station launched in 1968. I don't think they've had much change in their summarisers (John McGovern, Dean Yates and Martin Shaw) either.

Although from Googling this I read that Andrew James - once one of Radio Nottingham's Forest commentators in the days when they used two per match, now a BBC Final Score and UEFA.com regular - commentated in place of Slater on the Preston v Notts County match on Tuesday 20th November, which was the first game he'd missed for around ten years. According to this page, the last match he missed was County's 2003 League Cup tie at Chelsea, a game I remember as Tony Barras (one of my all-time favourite Walsall players) equalised for the Magpies in a valiant losing effort. Also, Martin Fisher sat in for Colin Fray on the Blackpool v Nottingham Forest game on Tuesday 23rd October. But I guess that's as much change as Matchday has seen for many a year!
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT's commentary team for West Ham v Manchester United appears to be Nigel Pearson and Ray Parlour, while for Mansfield v Liverpool, it'll be Nigel Adderley and Alvin Martin. I'd imagine John Roder and Sam Matterface will/may be involved on either Brighton v Newcastle, Swansea v Arsenal and Cheltenham v Everton.
  • elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Any news of the IRN reporters please?
    BBC Lancashire? BBC Merseyside?

Here are the BBC Lancashire reporters that i know.

Wednesday 26 Dec Boxing Day
    Sport 2pm to 6pm presented by Phil Cunliffe

Championship
    Middlesboro v Blackburn Rovers - Andy Beyes & Shebby Singh (Rovers Global Advisor)
    Burnley v Derby - Scott Reid
    Huddersfield v Blackpool - Ian Chisnall
    League 2
    Bradford v Accrington - Dan Jewell

Saturday 29 Dec
    Sport 2pm to 6pm presented by Gary Hickson

Championship
    Barnsley v Blackburn - Andy Beyes & Kevin Gallagher
    Burnley v Derby - Scott Reid
    Middlesboro V Blackpool - Ian Chisnall & reporter from Blackpool Gazette
    League 1
    Preston v Doncaster - Adrian Ward
    League 2
    Chesterfield v Morecambe - Derek Quinn
    Fleetwood v York - Gary Hunt
    Rotherham v Accrington - Dan Jewell

Tue 1 Jan 2013 New Years Day
    Sport 2pm to 6pm presented by Andy Beyes

Championship
    Blackburn v Notts Forest - Ian Chisnall
    Sheff Wed v Burnley - Phil Cunliffe
    League 1
    Hartlepool v Preston - Scott Reid
    League 2
    Accrington v Chesterfield - Dan Jewell
    Morecambe v Bradford - Derek Quinn
    Port Vale v Fleetwood - Gary Hunt
    Forum Member
    Thanks elcraig and welcome.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Radio Leeds lost the rights to Leeds United's league matches, the strongest argument against the decision was that most Leeds United fans didn't have digital radios, so they wouldn't be able to listen to the matches.

I was surprised this morning, to discover that the only analogue frequency being used to broadcast Leeds United's FA Cup match tomorrow is 103.9, the frequency which covers the narrowest area. The match will also be on DAB, but most Leeds United fans probably still don't have digital radios. Considering Leeds United matches can rarely be broadcast on Radio Leeds, I expected that the station would try to target the widest possible audience, by using all FM frequencies to broadcast the Leeds United match.

Huddersfield Town are on their usual FM frequencies, and Bradford City are on AM.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Friday 4th January 2013

BBC WM 95.6

League One
    Mike Taylor and Mark Regan: Walsall v Portsmouth

It will most likely be Mark Regan who will present the show
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be John Hardy and Waynne Phillips for the 'Welsh' derby and Newport County and Wrexham for BBC Radio Cymru tonight. Rob Phillips is down to do Cardiff City's (1899-2012 RIP) FA Cup match at Macclesfield tomorrow, so I'll guess, as commentators sometimes stay overnight beforehand at games, Mark Poyser will do the match for Radio Wales.

I'll be at the match, so will post details afterwards.

Commentators beware (Part 2):- A challenge from BBC Solent's Andrew Hawes:-
    A friendly warning. I will clock anyone who mentions Ronnie Radford this #FACup weekend. It's more than 40 years ago you cliche laden bums
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Cundy just revealed the commentary teams for the FA Cup on Talksport and here they are

Brighton v Newcastle - John Roder & Alvin Martin
    West Ham v Man United - Nigel Pearson & Ray Parlour
    Swansea v Arsenal - Sam Matterface & Ray Houghton
    Mansfield v Liverpool - Nigel Adderley & Alvin Martin
    Cheltenham v Everton - Nigel Adderley & Ray Parlour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    When Radio Leeds lost the rights to Leeds United's league matches, the strongest argument against the decision was that most Leeds United fans didn't have digital radios, so they wouldn't be able to listen to the matches.

I was surprised this morning, to discover that the only analogue frequency being used to broadcast Leeds United's FA Cup match tomorrow is 103.9, the frequency which covers the narrowest area. The match will also be on DAB, but most Leeds United fans probably still don't have digital radios. Considering Leeds United matches can rarely be broadcast on Radio Leeds, I expected that the station would try to target the widest possible audience, by using all FM frequencies to broadcast the Leeds United match.

Huddersfield Town are on their usual FM frequencies, and Bradford City are on AM.

perhaps they felt that as this was a rare event (not many cup games for leeds) it wasn't worth shifting long-established commentary frequencies around. Bradford and Huddisfield and Bradford fans are, as i understood your earlier post, used to hearing their club on those frequencies so why mess loyal listeners around?
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Pearce and Craig Burley will be on BBC Radio 5 Live for commentary of Brighton v Newcastle, while it'll be Mike Ingham and Graham Taylor for West Ham v Manchester United.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that will be Jonathan Pearce's first radio commentary for about 7 years I reckon-- will be great to hear him on the medium he's best at in my view. i guess something like 3rd round FA cup weekend stretches 5live's reporting/commentary resources quite thin so with Pearce not having MOTD commitment, makes sense to use him, particularly as he lives near to Brighton I believe. hopefully we'll hear something from Simon Brotherton also.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of 5L and Talksport broadcasting the same game?
  • elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Darren Fletcher was due to cover Brighton v Newcastle, but is ill. Jonathan Pearce has stepped in at short notice, mentioned on 5live drive today.