Options

Are you a fan of British Cinema?

007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've personally never enjoyed British cinema, yet i'm fan of the actors we produce. I was just wondering why our industry never tries to be more innovative and create more original productions, beyond the Drama (Usually period) and crime (Usually gangsters).

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We make cheap-looking, parochial movies which are frequently not much more than moving waxworks, unless the US is paying.
    We have some great actors, directors and technicians but lack cash and ideas.
    If The Sweeney is the standard UK movies are aiming for then they're doomed.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no prejudice in any particular cultural/national direction! I like good films from wherever they come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The good ones are good, but the shit ones are shit.
    Danny Boyle does great films, but most of them receive co-funding for the US.

I think it says something that in my, admittedly small, blu ray collection I have only six films from British directors (The Dark Knight Triogy - Christopher Nolan, The Great White Silence, Herbert Ponting, Prometheus - Ridley Scott, Source Code - Duncan Jones) only one of which was entirely financed in Britain.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good ones are good, but the shit ones are shit.
    Danny Boyle does great films, but most of them receive co-funding for the US.

I think it says something that in my, admittedly small, blu ray collection I have only six films from British directors (The Dark Knight Triogy - Christopher Nolan, The Great White Silence, Herbert Ponting, Prometheus - Ridley Scott, Source Code - Duncan Jones) only one of which was entirely financed in Britain.

Exactly. I can't say that I'm a fan because I find that most British films which are hyped up to be great films I find to be very disappointing.

But I love British films when they do produce a great film.

I tend to dislike most costume dramas, films by Richard Curtis such as Love Actually and Two Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones Diary, anything with Hugh Grant in it, Colin Firth although he himself is good is a bad sign when he's in it, and I'm sick to death of the British film cliche of a group of working class people who get together as a group to do something like a striptease act/ calendar/brass band, or whatever, and 'overcome all odds' to save their local whatever. These triumph of spirit type films, which I suppose you could add Billy Elliot to, just seem to be so cookie cutter for me.
    I acknowledge that many of these these films I mention are very popular and loved by many in the UK, but I can't stand them.

We've had some truly great films come out of the UK though.
    Get Carter, The Wicker Man, 28 Days Later, Dead Man's Shoes, Shaun of the Dead, to name just a very tiny selection from a long list, and if you count British directors who make films in general wherever they were financed from the British influence is overwhelmingly positive.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the film.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why we don't have a British studio that will fund the big budget movies , after all we've got plenty of talent , we make loads of them , but they're funded by Hollywood .

Harry Potter for instance - couldn't be more British , but Warners reap all the profits .
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up until about the 90s, yes, when since which time it seems it's been virtually impossible to make a truly British film unless it's about race tension/underclass woes/the plight of immigrants at our uncaring hands etc. :yawn:
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I've personally never enjoyed British cinema, yet i'm fan of the actors we produce. I was just wondering why our industry never tries to be more innovative and create more original productions, beyond the Drama (Usually period) and crime (Usually gangsters).

I think that a lot of people do try. But I think their hands are tied somewhat by both financial issues and by being restricted to making certain types of films by people who wield the power to get films made.

We have a lot of talent, but it feels as though it's held back and restrained.
    Because once you see British talent working on American films you can see the potential and what we're capable of.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »

Not sure that's entirely fair 10-15 years ago maybe, when it seemed that only 4 types of film were being made (Hugh Grant Rom Coms, British-Asian 'culture clash comedies, Costume Dramas, Gangster/football hooligan films) but in the past couple of years we've had

Slumdog Millionaire

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

Inbetweeners Movie

The Woman In Black

Seven Psychopaths

Attack The Block

Four Lions

Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy

Nativity

Moon

Pirates In an Adventure With Scientists

....and More

So there's quite a bit of variety there. I do take your point though that yes there's always been a kind of 'bread and butter' feel to UK cinema and costume dramas. The simple answer I guess though is that it's because we're good at them and they make money.

I'm not sure why people in the UK criticise it though. Hong Kong has been making the same kung-fu/action movies for decades, Bollywood has been using the same template for years with little evolution.They do them because they're good at them and they make money, so it makes sense to carry on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    Not sure that's entirely fair 10-15 years ago maybe, when it seemed that only 4 types of film were being made (Hugh Grant Rom Coms, British-Asian 'culture clash comedies, Costume Dramas, Gangster/football hooligan films) but in the past couple of years we've had

Slumdog Millionaire

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

Inbetweeners Movie

The Woman In Black

Seven Psychopaths

Attack The Block

Four Lions

Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy

Nativity

Moon

Pirates In an Adventure With Scientists

....and More

So there's quite a bit of variety there. I do take your point though that yes there's always been a kind of 'bread and butter' feel to UK cinema and costume dramas. The simple answer I guess though is that it's because we're good at them and they make money.

I'm not sure why people in the UK criticise it though. Hong Kong has been making the same kung-fu/action movies for decades, Bollywood has been using the same template for years with little evolution.
    Interesting to see that most of the titles on your list were financed by the same people...

Film 4 - Slumdog Millionaire, Inbetweeners, Attack The Block, Four Lions, Seven Psychopaths
    BBC Films - Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, Nativity
    StudioCanal - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Sony Pictures - Moon, Pirates in An Adventure with Scientists

I guess there's just not a lot of money to go round, so most go to the US...