Chocolate roulade

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just made a delicious chocolate roulade from Merry Berry's GBBO recipe.

I tastes amazing, but I had a bit of a problem rolling it up. It just didnt seem flexile enough; the sponge cracked through rather than rolling.

Did i let it cool for too long? The recipe just says to cool it in the tin, it doesn't say whether you have to let it go completely cold or not before attempting the roll up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sprinkle it with icing sugar and devour :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sprinkle it with icing sugar and devour :D

Already done that, hubbie had two slices! We will never eat the whole thing between us (it was a trial run for friends coming to lunch next weekend), so I gave away a couple of slices to our neighbours. I told him that with no flour or butter in it, it's practically a health food!

Would still like to be able to roll a proper round one though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Health food LOL

I think you can let it cool too much and also you can try rolling to fast. It needs to be coaxed.

It's rare I can get a Swiss Roll to roll without cracking. I just put whipped cream over the cracks and adorn with fruit - rasps or strawbs. I'd do the same with a chocolate roulade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Health food LOL

I think you can let it cool too much and also you can try rolling to fast. It needs to be coaxed.

It's rare I can get a Swiss Roll to roll without cracking. I just put whipped cream over the cracks and adorn with fruit - rasps or strawbs. I'd do the same with a chocolate roulade.

It cracked so much it is more square than round! I don't mind small cracks, but it almost broke in to two when I tried to get it to roll. Actually when you cut it into slices it looks OK.

I think I rolled too fast, I was so nervous, LOL

Cream is a good idea, or I could sprinkle on extra icing sugar. My stuff always looks homemade, but tastes delicious!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and thanks for the tips :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People appreciate the effort of things done from scratch.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be that the roulade was too thick or was too dry so it folded and cracked instead of rolling. I've made many roulades in my time and have encountered lots of problems from them which is generally down to over baking so the the cake is too dry:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be that the roulade was too thick or was too dry so it folded and cracked instead of rolling. I've made many roulades in my time and have encountered lots of problems from them which is generally down to over baking so the the cake is too dry:)

Ah right, maybe I did cook it for a minute too long. But it was the perfect consistency, just melted in the mouth :). So it couldn't have been that overcooked.

Practice makes perfect!
  • AngiekavAngiekav Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I always take it out of the tin whilst still fairly warm, leave the lining paper on and put it onto a clean tea towel, then about half an inch from the edge score a line where you are going to start to roll (this gives a nice tight roll) roll it in the tea towel whilst still warm and leave to cool rolled up. Roll away from you not towards you.
    When it has cooled you can un-roll it, take off the lining paper, fill it and re roll. You will still get small cracks but it shouldn't completely break.
    You are right when you say practice! Good luck. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angiekav wrote: »
    I always take it out of the tin whilst still fairly warm, leave the lining paper on and put it onto a clean tea towel, then about half an inch from the edge score a line where you are going to start to roll (this gives a nice tight roll) roll it in the tea towel whilst still warm and leave to cool rolled up. Roll away from you not towards you.
    When it has cooled you can un-roll it, take off the lining paper, fill it and re roll. You will still get small cracks but it shouldn't completely break.
    You are right when you say practice! Good luck. :)

Oh that sounds like a great tip, thank you. Is this with a flour-less and fat-less roulade?

Might try that on Sunday when our friends come over.
  • AngiekavAngiekav Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    It is a recipe without any fat, and has cocoa powder and either ground hazelnuts or almonds....
    Do you blend your cocoa with hot water or use it straight from the tin? I find you get a more chocolatey taste if you blend it first and leave it to cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angiekav wrote: »
    It is a recipe without any fat, and has cocoa powder and either ground hazelnuts or almonds....
    Do you blend your cocoa with hot water or use it straight from the tin? I find you get a more chocolatey taste if you blend it first and leave it to cool.

The recipe uses melted plain chocolate, eggs, sugar nd a couple of spoons of cooa mixed in at the end.

I've found a recipe for lemon roulade with lemon curd, cream and raspberries in the middle :)