"America is a big mistake, a giant mistake"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for who are we...we are people who go to work,come home, surf the net, watch a little TV, get up the next day to do it all over again. Nothing more, nothing less

You mean.........just like everyone else in the world! *shock horror!*
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »

I know..right?! Hard to believe :o;-):D
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a close friend from China and the weather entirely depends where you go. People forget just how big a country it is.

Yes I know I lived there.

I didn't see people drinking iced tea though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Yes I know I lived there.

I didn't see people drinking iced tea though.

So has my brother, and he sent me a parcel full of the stuff. Why, I really don't know, I think he had run out of other gift ideas
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an American living in the mid-west USA

I for one drink coffee. Never ever boil it!! I refuse to drink instant coffee(puke)

I will and do drink hot tea,but not often. Again I never boil it

I drink iced tea daily!! Love it with fresh lemon.

I have never owned an electric kettle...didn't even know hey existed :blush: I do own a couple of 'old fashioned?' kettles though

As for who are we...we are people who go to work,come home, surf the net, watch a little TV, get up the next day to do it all over again. Nothing more, nothing less

You dont boil the water for tea??:o You would be lynched over here, and rightly so! >:( whoever heard of such a thing :confused:

:D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not quite.. They dont boil the kettle for Tea.. Other than that yep just like everyone else:)
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    You dont boil the water for tea??:o You would be lynched over here, and rightly so! >:( whoever heard of such a thing :confused:

:D

LOL!! No I sure don't. I think of boiling the water,is the same as cooking it. I don't want to cook my tea :blush::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite.. They dont boil the kettle for Tea.. Other than that yep just like everyone else:)

barbarians! :o
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to love DS. Someone posts a question about America's role in the world and we end up talking about tea and coffee!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Got to love DS. Someone posts a question about America's role in the world and we end up talking about tea and coffee!

I work in a charity shop and I remember a few years back someone donated a facsimile copy of a booklet that was given to American troops stationed over here during WW2, about how to fit in, and what to say and not to say in order to foster friendship and avoid offence. It was VERY 1940s, as you'd expect; a lot of stuff about not dancing with another man's girlfriend and thinking he'll accept it just because you're a glamorous American soldier and the like. But my favourite bit was (I'm paraphrasing from memory) "don't criticise an Englishman because he can't make a proper cup of coffee. Chances are you can't make a proper cup of tea".

I wish I'd bought it now; it was both hilarious and charming, as well as fascinating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »

Breaking news. Boiling water for tea has caused an international incident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, I haven't seen you around for ages! Thought vos had you locked up in the basement without wifi or something.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi love good to see you back.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Wow, I haven't seen you around for ages! Thought vos had you locked up in the basement without wifi or something.
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Hi love good to see you back.:)

*waves like loon*

Good to see you two :):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *waves like loon*

Likewise! Should we... should we be checking your posts for coded messages to the authorities or anything?
  • Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I had never seen an electric kettle before moving here.

I have an electric kettle and have had one for years. I use it every morning to heat up some water for instant coffee. (I know. I know. But, I'm lazy.)
    The first time I visited my sister in America, they gave me Iced tea, my sister warned me it was disgusting and she was right.

I don't drink it often, but I really like ice tea, especially with sugar and lemon. However, I was in England some years ago and was served warm soda! Seriously! Warm coca cola! Ugh. I was also served warm beer, but since I was getting drunk, I didn't care.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hot watergate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Likewise! Should we... should we be checking your posts for coded messages to the authorities or anything?

Please save me, I have become cinderella to his ugly stepsister :cry:
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Yes, and that Errol Flynn won the Burma campaign single handed.:D

Judging by todays kids, they know nothing of British history.>:(

Not many British kids know about British history either.:(
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *waves like loon*

Aw thanks love. Hope you are well :)

Now then tea. Best made after the water has stood for precisely 60 seconds after boiling. LOL Just read that and tried it. Of course it makes no difference at all.:D
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an electric kettle and have had one for years. I use it every morning to heat up some water for instant coffee. (I know. I know. But, I'm lazy.)

What!

I am so sending you a Mr. Coffee.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coffee boiling, is Coffee spoiling, you pour boiling water on teabags/loose tea, to infuse the leaves.:)
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They think they are rulers of the world and that everyone should live like they do and they do not understand people who don't want to be like them, they believe their culture is the best and should be spread around the world.

In a crude example America sells it's movies and music to the world but if British try to sell them out things they get all "homegrown", radio stations have to play a certain percentage of US music, it is damn difficult to get our pop acts heard on US radio.

McDonalds, Microsoft etc everyone should use them because they are American.

They live in a bubble which was burst when 9/11 happened, someone I used to work with told me this he went on holiday to America and was asked by someone if the UK had electricity.

90 percent of my firm's products are exported to the US, so I'm not sure who is living in a bubble here?

I love America and the Americans. :)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    In a crude example America sells it's movies and music to the world but if British try to sell them out things they get all "homegrown",

If it were not for the US entertainment industry a lot of British actors would be out of work most of the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were not for the US entertainment industry a lot of British actors would be out of work most of the time.

And if it wasn't for our writers their comic industry would have died a death in the 80s... can't we all just get along?