Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. It's a very poor figure for EastEnders, as well as the other two soaps on ITV. EastEnders had a big week this week, but it's scraping by with a 30% share on Friday. It should have at least 1.5 million more viewers.

Coronation Street is performing under expectations as well - those shares aren't very good for it at all. I'm glad ITV have noticed and will hopefully do something about it soon.

It's a shame for Emmerdale as it's been absolutely brilliant recently and deserves lots of praise and recognition. Next week also looking like an absolute corker, but the quality is not showing in the ratings. It's a shame it hasn't managed to creep back up to Killer Cameron levels as it deserves to be right up there at the moment.
    Whilst the Ross / Donna storyline was great - what have we had since then?

The further adventures of Marlon & Laurel
    Jimmy King wearing a wig
    Vanessa, the ex lesbian who's now shagging a 17 year old who looks like he's 24
    The return of Aaron, the gay character who doesn't do "gay" on-screen
    The return of Doug who used to be on dinnerladies & acts like he still is
    Jai shagging Leyla in toffee towers and her falling in love with him

It's been far from brilliant.

And whilst next week has the potential to be good, I fear the outcome will prove to be an anti-climax for many.

Don't wonder about the ratings - the evidence for them is there!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought you were all being unfair to him until I squinted very hard and saw he was typing a capital I and not a small one.

Still doesn't alter the fact that ITV is wrong too now. That's marketing departments for you.:D;-)

The company is called ITV plc. The dog is irrelevant.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more details of the referendum coverage:

BBC One
    Scotland Decides
    Average 2-6am - 696,000 (42.1%)
    Average 6-9am - 1.995m (40.5%)
    Peak - 2.679m (39.0%) at 8.00am
    Share peak - 814,000 (52.9%) at 5.10am

BBC News Special
    Average 9-10am - 1.225m (24.4%)

Average 6-9.15am - 1.954m (39.6%) (Breakfast last Friday - 1.470m (35.9%))

ITV
    Scotland Decides
    Average 2-6am - 143,000 (8.5%)
    Peak - 206,000 (10.5%) at 5.55am
    Share peak - 195,000 (11.1%) at 5.40am

Good Morning Britain
    Average 6-10am - 717,000 (14.1%)
    Average 6-8.30am - 686,000 (13.9%) (Last Friday - 570,000 (14.8%))
    Average 8.30-9.25am - 818,000 (15.0%) (Lorraine last Friday - 710,000 (14.7%))
    Peak - 921,000 (14.5%) at 7.25am

BBC News (simulcast with BBC1 until 10am)
    Average 2-6am - 79,000 (4.6%)
    Average 6-9am - 150,000 (3.2%)
    Average 9-10am - 235,000 (4.7%)
    Average 10am-1pm - 181,000 (3.7%)
    Friday peak - 356,000 (3.3%) at 5.05pm.

Sky News
    Average 2-6am - 73,000 (4.3%)
    Average 6-9am - 131,000 (2.8%)
    Average 9-10am - 72,000 (1.4%)
    Average 10am-1pm - 60,000 (1.3%)
    Friday peak - 194,000 (3.2%) at 7.25am.

Obviously those numbers include the various Scottish opt-outs.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC seems to think the ratings fall for EastEnders was mainly due to budget cuts, which is why they decided to reinvest in EastEnders:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/29141566

Sad in that article to see Saj Javid having to parrot the same old Murdoch/Cameron/Hunt/Miller line about cuts.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    It's not "ITV", it's "itv".

That's how itv write it and they should know. Check out the DOG in the top left corner of any itv channel.

Heeeeere we go again! :p:D

Why and how exactly is ITV in a textual context wrong? It's completely correct and I doubt anyone at ITV (or indeed most others) would say otherwise. By that logic this should be how we write the BBC channel names:

BBC one
    BBC TWO
    BBC three
    BBC FOUR

A lot of brands have lowercase logo designs but that does not mean their company or brand name itself should be written in lowercase text.

Example being high street shop Next, or the ill-fated HMV. Both have lowercase logos, but since Next is a word, it is written like a noun and since HMV is/was an acronym, it is capitalised completely despite the brand logo being lowercase.

ITV is an acronym for Independent TeleVision and [highlight]just as you wouldn't write Tv, Bbc, Kfc, Ibm, Lg or any of the many other famous brand acronyms, you don't in any reality (but Samuel's) write Itv.[/highlight]

Yes this is tedious but if it gets people to understand why Itv is neither ITV or itv - the latter of which is just about acceptable despite being incorrect in a textual context - then so be it. Doubt it though.

Finally, ITV hasn't had an uppercase logo for over 15 years. The fact that every single source under the sun, be it ITV themselves, Wikipedia, magazines, papers, and other media ALL write it as ITV, should signify to people that it is ITV. That is, I repeat, ITV, not itv unless you write bbc as well, and never Itv.

Seeing Itv and BBC in the same sentence typed by the same individual when they are both acronyms, baffles me. :confused:

No doubt this post will either be ignored or I'll be told I'm taking it too seriously (i.e. my valid point will be ignored and I will be lightly ridiculed)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    They actually haven't. Strictly's highest rating series was actually the 2010 series, which generally started around 6/6.15pm (closer to 6.30 later in the series when the episodes were shorter). The ratings haven't actually increased at all since they shifted it later.

Strictly and X Factor had their best rated series in 2010 due to the snow boost everything got. Go back to 2010 and look at when the ratings crossed 12m before the final. That was when it moved to around 6.30pm and it hit 13m for the first time before a final in 2010 with a mixture of snow and a 6.40pm start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC seems to think the ratings fall for EastEnders was mainly due to budget cuts, which is why they decided to reinvest in EastEnders:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/29141566

Sad in that article to see Saj Javid having to parrot the same old Murdoch/Cameron/Hunt/Miller line about cuts.

It was more creativity cuts than budget cuts. Even with budget cuts you can come up with a good storyline. They couldn't do that under Newman.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the ITV/itv debate... in written form, it should probably be ITV. If you look at their press releases, at ITV Media, at articles in Broadcast, it remains ITV.

"itv" is the graphic, not the name. But it's fair enough to use I think. Itv is always wrong. Which is why he does it of course!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day they're acronyms. Everyone knows what ITV, itv, Itv means and everyone knows what Corrie, Coro, Coro St means. If we're going to get wound up over it then this thread is going to become very chil... oh, scrap that - too late. :D

EDIT: Sorry, James, I think I went for the lightly ridicule route. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    On the ITV/itv debate... in written form, it should probably be ITV. If you look at their press releases, at ITV Media, at articles in Broadcast, it remains ITV.

"itv" is the graphic, not the name. But it's fair enough to use I think. Itv is always wrong. Which is why he does it of course!

Thanks for chiming in, if a few posters who are more respected than me agreed perhaps he would stop doing it. :) It is not written as itv anywhere other than in the logo design.
    Fudd wrote: »
    At the end of the day they're acronyms. Everyone knows what ITV, itv, Itv means and everyone knows what Corrie, Coro, Coro St means. If we're going to get wound up over it then this thread is going to become very chil... oh, scrap that - too late. :D

But Itv looks utterly ridiculous... (as C14E says, that's the whole point). It affects my eyes when skim reading and as I said before, it's an attempt at brand-weakening. And quite effective, actually. Sort of screams (to random people) "unlike the BBC, this brand is not worth the hassle of writing properly/it's not as established as BBC, so I forget." etc blah blah.

Got my new computer it's an Ibm!

Gonna go down to get a mini fillet from Kfc!

I love that new show made by the Bbc!

The BBC is so much better than Itv! :confused:
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Thanks for chiming in, if a few posters who are more respected than me agreed perhaps he would stop doing it. :) It is not written as itv anywhere other than in the logo design.

But Itv looks utterly ridiculous...

Got my new computer it's an Ibm!

Gonna go down to get a mini fillet from Kfc!

I love that new show made by the Bbc!

The BBC is so much better than Itv! :confused:

Quite a bit of what is written on here is completely ridiculous - including what I type. It's a ridiculous thread where a bunch of people come together to get very irate about a bunch of numbers which we probably care more about than the broadcasters themselves. I'd say let the little tics wash over you and embrace the insanity. :D
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it that the company is "ITV" but the channel is "itv" (previously "itv1")?

K
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »

Well thats all I was trying to say when I suppose I started it earlier today. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Isn't it that the company is "ITV" but the channel is "itv" (previously "itv1")?

K
    No.

http://itv.com/itv2

See title of page: ITV2 - Digital Channel of The Year

Also lower down: "More from ITV2"

Find me an instance "itv1" was EVER written in text form by any source that's not a human being on a message board?

As I said above, logos can and often are all lowercase for aesthetic reasons; company/ brand / channel names do not change capitalisation because of a logo, and ACRONYMS ARE ALWAYS UPPERCASE.

Or are you just trying to feign ignorance as a wind-up as well? :confused::(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Well thats all I was trying to say when I suppose I started it earlier today. :D
    If you started seeing Bbc all through the thread, I think it'd get on your nerves after a while actually. Deny it as much as you want.

I'd start writing Bbc through the thread to make a point, only I cant bring myself to defecate all over my sentences like that. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    A few more details of the referendum coverage:

BBC One
    Scotland Decides
    Average 2-6am - 696,000 (42.1%)
    Average 6-9am - 1.995m (40.5%)
    Peak - 2.679m (39.0%) at 8.00am
    Share peak - 814,000 (52.9%) at 5.10am

BBC News Special
    Average 9-10am - 1.225m (24.4%)

Average 6-9.15am - 1.954m (39.6%) (Breakfast last Friday - 1.470m (35.9%))

ITV
    Scotland Decides
    Average 2-6am - 143,000 (8.5%)
    Peak - 206,000 (10.5%) at 5.55am
    Share peak - 195,000 (11.1%) at 5.40am

Good Morning Britain
    Average 6-10am - 717,000 (14.1%)
    Average 6-8.30am - 686,000 (13.9%) (Last Friday - 570,000 (14.8%))
    Average 8.30-9.25am - 818,000 (15.0%) (Lorraine last Friday - 710,000 (14.7%))
    Peak - 921,000 (14.5%) at 7.25am

BBC News (simulcast with BBC1 until 10am)
    Average 2-6am - 79,000 (4.6%)
    Average 6-9am - 150,000 (3.2%)
    Average 9-10am - 235,000 (4.7%)
    Average 10am-1pm - 181,000 (3.7%)
    Friday peak - 356,000 (3.3%) at 5.05pm.

Sky News
    Average 2-6am - 73,000 (4.3%)
    Average 6-9am - 131,000 (2.8%)
    Average 9-10am - 72,000 (1.4%)
    Average 10am-1pm - 60,000 (1.3%)
    Friday peak - 194,000 (3.2%) at 7.25am.

Obviously those numbers include the various Scottish opt-outs.

Fascinating stuff Ronant. Thanks for this. Will be interesting to see what the breakfast/election ratings were like without Scotland viewers. Was there increased interest with people outside Scotland or did Scotland cause the main boost?

Did BBC1 keep a lot of the increased breakfast audience for the rest of the morning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

http://itv.com/itv2

See title of page: ITV2 - Digital Channel of The Year

Also lower down: "More from ITV2"

Find me an instance "itv1" was EVER written in text form by any source that's not a human being on a message board?

The logo is not the name. Logos can and often are all lowercase for aesthetic reasons; company/ brand / channel names do not change capitalisation because of a logo, and ACRONYMS ARE ALWAYS UPPERCASE.

Or are you just trying to feign ignorance as a wind-up as well?
    When I discuss the ITV family, I hope I remember to use uppercase. If I mention what channel is Coronation Street is on, I used to say ITV1 (because it was clearly different from ITV) but I now tend to use "itv" to differentiate the channel name from the company. (it's also easier to type for me because i have Parkinson's so i've lost the accurate use of one of my hands...)

K
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Strictly and X Factor had their best rated series in 2010 due to the snow boost everything got. Go back to 2010 and look at when the ratings crossed 12m before the final. That was when it moved to around 6.30pm and it hit 13m for the first time before a final in 2010 with a mixture of snow and a 6.40pm start.

Strictly was rating incredibly well that year from very early on though. Even before the snow came it was rating better than subsequent series have even in slightly earlier slots. I agree starting before 6pm is damaging but by October whether its 6.15 or 6.30 or 6.45 doesn't make a great deal of difference.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Just seen the Stars In Their Eyes promo teaser from itv. I can already tell this is going to appeal to the working class grannies. BBC must not give it a free run by airing Atlantis early next year. They'll need to move the Voice against it or even Pointless Celebrities.

Where did you see it? (I'm so excited about it coming back!) And never mind working class grannies, I'm certaintly not one and I'm so excited, basically was the TV of my childhood! (Between SITE, gladiators and Blind Date, (and Saturday Night Fever on 5) I couldn't wait for Saturday's)
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,647
    Forum Member
    When I discuss the ITV family, I hope I remember to use uppercase. If I mention what channel is Coronation Street is on, I used to say ITV1 (because it was clearly different from ITV) but I now tend to use "itv" to differentiate the channel name from the company. (it's also easier to type for me because i have Parkinson's so i've lost the accurate use of one of my hands...)

K

Hopefully this adds some perspective to such trivialities of company names and how they are typed. Keep well Kenny, and who cares how you type it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

K

That's absolutely fine Kenny, and I sympathise; but people have said already including myself that itv is acceptable (though I still kind of don't see how writing BBC is easy as pie but yet ITV is just so difficult it's easier to be lowercase.)

Itv is not acceptable. Do you understand the difference between itv and Itv? :)
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Hopefully this adds some perspective to such trivialities of company names and how they are typed. Keep well Kenny, and who cares how you type it.

Kenny writes itv, never Itv. No one would criticise someone for writing itv.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,647
    Forum Member
    That's absolutely fine Kenny, and I sympathise; but people have said already including myself that itv is acceptable (though I still kind of don't see how writing BBC is easy as pie but yet ITV is just so difficult it's easier to be lowercase.)

Itv is not acceptable. Do you understand the difference between itv and Itv?

Kenny writes itv, never Itv. No one would criticise someone for writing itv.

Just stop complaining about something that isn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things and you should have apologised to Kenny BTW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Itv is not acceptable. Do you understand the difference between itv and Itv?
    i agree that "Itv" is wrong and if you just ignored it, perhaps it would go away! I don't know what device "sam" uses but perhaps he's got it as an "auto-un-correct" option!

bib, BBC is easier to type one handed than ITV (COS SOMETIMES I LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON BY MISTAKE!)

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree that "Itv" is wrong and if you just ignored it, perhaps it would go away! I don't know what device "sam" uses but perhaps he's got it as an "auto-un-correct" option!

K

Ignoring it doesn't make it go away though, hence why we have had this topic dredged up over years now.

Auto-correct on a computer? :confused: I don't think so. Or are we to believe he types every single one of his thousands of posts on an iPhone? itv wouldn't autocorrect to Itv anyway - it's not a noun.

bib, BBC is easier to type one handed than ITV (COS SOMETIMES I LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON BY MISTAKE!)

K
    Kenny, the fact that I have never noticed your spelling or capitalisation and always considered your posts completely sound, should signify you are not in any way guilty of the offence. Sorry to hear about your condition but I've never read a single one of your posts and even batted an eyelid about how/why you wrote it.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Just stop complaining about something that isn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things and you should have apologised to Kenny BTW.
    I don't see why I should apologise, I have no problem with Kenny as a poster, or any of his posts he's ever written, nor have I insulted him or said anything rude, so why should I apologise?

I wasn't even talking about him when I asked why is BBC easy but not ITV - I was referring to Samuel! I get that BBC is easier one handed so itv would be the logical output without capitalisation.

We're talking about the use of Itv here, not itv, and no one is talking about anyone else's posts but Samuel's, so shouldn't take offence or think it's directed at them.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the days when BBC Television was always referred to as BBCtv.

Even the Radio Times cover used to say "COMPLETE 7-DAY GUIDE TO BBCtv and Radio".
This discussion has been closed.