• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here he is with Jeff beck on guitar. Brilliant. http://youtu.be/Pu69rDqVuvY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    He consistently sits there and actually does what they are meant to do - listen. Some of the others, JJ in particular, have hit the button on the first note, kind of makes the whole premise of the show moot.
    He listens to virtually the end before making up his mind - which is what the others should really be doing.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic Man wrote: »
    He consistently sits there and actually does what they are meant to do - listen. Some of the others, JJ in particular, have hit the button on the first note, kind of makes the whole premise of the show moot.
    He listens to virtually the end before making up his mind - which is what the others should really be doing.

Think he learned from last year, when he may have made one or two hasty choices.

Difficulty is getting the balance between looking keen to have a particular singer (turning early), and listening for long enough to make a reasoned decision.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he looks bored stiff at times. He's obviously serious about his trade and kinda looks irritated by JJ, Will and Danny's antics at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so important to have a panel that the whole TV audience will identify with, not just one section, and Tom Jones' audience are lovers of classic pop and traditional pop vocalists. Remarks like 'he should retire' are typically ageist from people that think only younger people matter or know anything about music.

Having said that, I remember the arguments I had with my folks over my love of David Bowie and Kate Bush and theirs over Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole. It goes in circles.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom's there basically to be the voice of the viewers, particularly the older ones, or who buy into the lie that the show is "all about the voice". Whilst Jessie whines about how girls don't like her and William talks bollocks and Danny does duck-face air-guitar like a nob, Tom just sits there, listens to the music and "talks sense". He doesn't even namedrop any more.

I mean, lots of the viewers like big personalities and comedy antics and the other judges have their fans as well, but it's no surprise that Tom won last year just by sitting still and behaving himself, despite having the dullest act in the final with a bland voice (outside of the dog-whistles), who'd found herself in the Bottom 2 before. It'll probably work in his favour this year as well.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes wrote: »
    As nice as the guy is, and as good as his voice is, I think next year might require a change.

He doesn't really have much relevance in modern music and doesn't have much insightful comments to say.

There was one point tonight where he actually said the exact same reason for picking him twice in succession.

He as very little offer and seems to just go with the fllow. Exit left Mr Jones
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do we need singers who have deserted this country and gone to live abroad to avoid paying tax to the UK. he should stay in the states. we do not need him or his lousy money in tax payments.