Options

how has a multi culture society benefited britain?

crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We here of alot of people saying how good multiculturalism is for Britain. I personally think the government just wanted more people to increase our workforce but then spin us lies of how cuddly multiculturalism is. I see a Britain that has pockets of different cultures changing areas of Britain to one more similar to the original country.
So my question is other than take away shops what have multiple different communities brought to Britain that makes us better vs worse !

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    It's very popular with wealthy Labour voting luvvies in places like Hampstead and Primrose Hill who claim to love multi culturalism but chose to live in wealthy white enclaves. The plebs should just suck it up - low wages, lack of jobs for young people, lack of affordable housing, lack of school places, two weeks to see your GP - it's all good!:D
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And many different languages being spoken.

And some of these new people coming here what change Britain to suit their needs.

Some muslims want Britain to become islamic that'll be one of the worst thing ever to happen to Britain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    There's been lots of benefits. Mainly dished out by the dole office.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Culture development requires isolation.

Multi-culturism and culturism are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Imagine Britain had not allowed any immigration from 1900 onwards.

None of the people from different ethnic backgrounds who have made positive contributions to life in Britain would exist. This would include people like Harry Kroto, the Nobel prize winner, to Salmon Rushdie - just to pluck two names out of the air. Thousands of high profile people like these would not be here, neither would millions of ordinary people who have led and continue to lead useful and positive lives.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »

None of the people from different ethnic backgrounds who have made positive contributions to life in Britain would exist. This would include people like Harry Kroto, the Nobel prize winner, to Salmon Rushdie - just to pluck two names out of the air. Thousands of high profile people like these would not be here, neither would millions of ordinary people who have led and continue to lead useful and positive lives.

Your point is what exactly?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »
    We here of alot of people saying how good multiculturalism is for Britain. I personally think the government just wanted more people to increase our workforce but then spin us lies of how cuddly multiculturalism is. I see a Britain that has pockets of different cultures changing areas of Britain to one more similar to the original country.
    So my question is other than take away shops what have multiple different communities brought to Britain that makes us better vs worse !

The biggest benefit multi culturism has brought to this country is as role models for values that have deserted the British working classes.

Focus on educating children - children of immigrants are performing very well at school outperforming native working class children.

Family values - especially in the treatment of the elderly and shared responsibility of caring reducing the burden for all including the state.

Work ethic - immigrants seemingly work harder, longer and do the sh!ty jobs this is why employers like the EU.

Prudance - immigrants tend to squirrel it away as they have ambitions to buy and own property
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your point is what exactly?
    That if people weren't here they wouldn't have made the positive contributions they have made to Britain.

Inevitably there will be negative aspects too. That's the trouble with people. You get the good and the bad.

It depends whether you're a glass half full or half empty person. Anti-immigration, anti-multicultural people tend to be glass half empty people. They only see or want to see the negative.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    It's very popular with wealthy Labour voting luvvies in places like Hampstead and Primrose Hill who claim to love multi culturalism but chose to live in wealthy white enclaves. The plebs should just suck it up - low wages, lack of jobs for young people, lack of affordable housing, lack of school places, two weeks to see your GP - it's all good!:D

These are things that may have something to do with immigration. They don't seem to have anything to do with multiculturalism though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's been lots of benefits. Mainly dished out by the dole office.

What has the non-existent "dole office" got to do with multiculturalism? :confused:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it really does depend upon who you are.

If you are an employer then it means cheap multilingual labour

If you are a middle class professional then it means more ethnic restaurants and markets to explore, cheap cleaner/au pair and you can boast about how cosmopolitan your area is (although you never invite any of them around for dinner)

If you are a manual worker then the benefits are harder to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Define multiculturalism. We all understand the term differently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, it really does depend upon who you are.

If you are an employer then it means cheap multilingual labour

If you are a middle class professional then it means more ethnic restaurants and markets to explore, cheap cleaner/au pair and you can boast about how cosmopolitan your area is (although you never invite any of them around for dinner)

If you are a manual worker then the benefits are harder to see.

This thread seems to be turning into arguments about immigration rather than multiculturalism!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Immigration and an agenda to create a multi-cultural society are not the same thing.

Kroto's parents were Polish refugees from the Nazis in the 1930s, Rushdie was born in what was then British India and was educated at Rugby and Cambridge. Neither live here any more they both reside in the USA.

Imo the answer to the OP's question is no.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    This thread seems to be turning into arguments about immigration rather than multiculturalism!

Surprised?
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could live without Salmon Rushdie. And how much has the security cost?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »

Isn't there a link - and aren't there consequences for the cost and provision of local services if you regard people as different rather than us all being one community?

I am merely highlighting the hypocrisy of wealthy lefties who love multi culturalism but decide by the choice of where they live not to truly experience it.
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be far more negatives than positives.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's the 'tikka masala' argument, that outside cultures have added to our own.

Another is that multiculturalism has given us a more international outlook that has helped us to become a center of world business and trade.

The increase in population has increased the countries total GDP, meaning a stronger UK in general.

I don't know if any of the above are particularly substantial. I prefer to look at immigration/multiculturalism from a more liberal view point. That even if it had no 'benefits' that trying to restrict it would have caused more damage than letting it happen. Maybe a better question would be 'what harm has multiculturalism caused'?

I probably have a different perspective though as I grew up in West Reading which saw every wave of immigration possible, from Irish to Caribbean to Pakistani and Indian to Polish. And yes, the town changed a lot over that time - pubs have closed down, mosques have opened, the Kwik Save was replaced by the 'Exotic Superstore', an English shop became a Pakistani shop which then became a Polish shop. But none of this effects me or the way I live my life. I'm not forced to become a Muslim because there's a mosque, I'm not forced to stop drinking alcohol because 1 shop out of 10 doesn't sell it, the death of Kwik save hasn't ruined my dietary choices ;-)
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This a lot like the monty python when they ask what have the Romans ever done for us. Well for a start we would not exist today. Anglo Saxons are not native we came to these shores then over the years you have to factor in Romans, Vikings, Normans. Unless you want a full history on what they brought to our shores.

The British empire was founded on culturism located across the world. For example tea does not grow in this country along with many other products we imported and accepted into our culture. What you assume to be British culture is not quite often the case take fish and chips. Potato are not native they came from a different culture.

If you consider our country and wealth of idea's expanding across the global it was only possible by our nature to include elements in our culture. We have borrowed from around the world and added to our own.

It is because of this we became the nation we are today. People wrongly focus on immigration as a bad thing in part forgetting many people from our country also go and live abroad. People come to this country if they wok hard pay their taxes they are all doing their bit to add to the countries wealth. They often do the jobs that people in our country cannot fill we have large number of doctors, nurses, whom all do fine jobs in our NHS.

You need to look beyond colour and race and treat people as fellow humans. Dont let just a hand full of people who do wrong to cloud you judgement on a mass of people who have done great things for our country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Immigration and an agenda to create a multi-cultural society are not the same thing.

Kroto's parents were Polish refugees from the Nazis in the 1930s, Rushdie was born in what was then British India and was educated at Rugby and Cambridge. Neither live here any more they both reside in the USA.

Imo the answer to the OP's question is no.

But it wasn't a "yes or no" question!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Multi-culturalism' is a terrible concept. It encourages isolation and division. It puts no onus on cultures integrating with each other and has spectacularly failed in this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't there a link - and aren't there consequences for the cost and provision of local services if you regard people as different rather than us all being one community?
    There's obviously a link, as one has led to the other, but surely it costs the same to provide services for people, whether they are of different cultures or the same culture?
    I am merely highlighting the hypocrisy of wealthy lefties who love multi culturalism but decide by the choice of where they live not to truly experience it.

But that's not hypocrisy. It would only be hypocrisy if they declared that everyone must live in a multicultural area. As far as I know no "wealthy lefty" has said that.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »

The most immediate advantage I can see is the range of foods now available in the UK - which is why (much to the chagrain of the French) the cuisine in the UK is more diverse and interesting than in France
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most immediate advantage I can see is the range of foods now available in the UK - which is why (much to the chagrain of the French) the cuisine in the UK is more diverse and interesting than in France

That has absolutely nothing to do with multi-culturalism.