Options

Nick Ferrari: "We are all jihadis"

pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't have access to the LBC 'podcasts' so maybe I imagined this earlier today.

A woman caller with an Asian name said her 5 year old son would never be fighting overseas for IS because she would bring him up correctly. (Note that Ferrari has a habit of quietly offering sometimes affirmative, sometimes not comments that most callers don't seem to hear in the course of their rants.) She said her son may have his struggles with money or other things but that this was jihad i.e. a personal struggle. Ferrari said something quietly like "Yes, we are all jihadis".

I know Islam means peace. (Well, 'submission' actually'.)
I know Islam is the religion of peace. (Cameron said so.)
I know jihad means personal struggle. (It has for about a year - for the previous 1381 years it meant 'holy war to enslave the World under Islam'.)

But are we all jihadis now?

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,893
    Forum Member
    pcawthron wrote: »
    I don't have access to the LBC 'podcasts' so maybe I imagined this earlier today.

A woman caller with an Asian name said her 5 year old son would never be fighting overseas for IS because she would bring him up correctly. (Note that Ferrari has a habit of quietly offering sometimes affirmative, sometimes not comments that most callers don't seem to hear in the course of their rants.) She said her son may have his struggles with money or other things but that this was jihad i.e. a personal struggle. Ferrari said something quietly like "Yes, we are all jihadis".

I know jihad means personal struggle. (It has for about a year - for the previous 1381 years it meant 'holy war to enslave the World under Islam'.)

Jihad is a generic term for a struggle or a challenge. A lot of things can be a struggle/challenges.

Islam only allows fighting/killing under self defence in times of war. It doesn't allow muslims to start attacks/trouble, so these A Hole terrorists who think they are allowed to kill anyone including muslims on a "first strike basis" are not acting in line with islam.

Also the prats are acting outside of islam when they do suicide attacks as errr suicide is not allowed in islam nor in any of the 3 abrahamic religions.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Jihad is a generic term for a struggle or a challenge. A lot of things can be a struggle/challenges.

Islam only allows fighting/killing under self defence in times of war. It doesn't allow muslims to start attacks/trouble, so these A Hole terrorists who think they are allowed to kill anyone including muslims on a "first strike basis" are not acting in line with islam.

Also the prats are acting outside of islam when they do suicide attacks as errr suicide is not allowed in islam nor in any of the 3 abrahamic religions.

Where does Islam state these rules in such clarity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »
    Where does Islam state these rules in such clarity?

On only killing in self defence and in times of war, the first section of the Qur'an.
    Jihad might be in that section too, and the suicide being a no no is a major no no just like on muslims not being allowed to drink alcohol.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On only killing in self defence and in times of war, the first section of the Qur'an.
    Jihad might be in that section too, and the suicide being a no no is a major no no just like on muslims not being allowed to drink alcohol.

The problem is you are also up against the Hadith which for many is part of Islam. I also understand that the world is divided into a House of Islam (where Islam rules) and a House of War (where Islam does not rule).So perhaps if Islam does not rule the world there is always a House of War.
    Suicide to no avail is a no no martyrdom is something else.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    The problem is you are also up against the Hadith which for many is part of Islam. I also understand that the world is divided into a House of Islam (where Islam rules) and a House of War (where Islam does not rule).So perhaps if Islam does not rule the world there is always a House of War.

The world is divided into the House of Islam and the House of War, the Dar al-Islam and the Dar al-harb. The Dar al-Islam is all those lands in which a Muslim government rules and the Holy Law of Islam prevails.

The aim of Islam at the command of Muhammad was to conquer the world until there is only the religion of Allah.

So to IS they can kill who they like until the word is Dar al-Islam they are at war with all none Islamic countries. The same applies to Islamists in other countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The hadiths are clarifications from Mohammed about what god has instructed.

In the chaper of the Qur'an called The Women, there is a couple of sentences that says do not kill each other and I can't remember word for word how it goes but it goes onto forbid killing people in an injust way and or in a hostile way. I'm sure I read that hell awaits those who do kill people in that way.

The Qur'an switches it topics/instuctions often in the chapters thoug,h so its hard to remember everything unless one goes back and read or checks things.
  • Options
    Forum Member

In the chaper of the Qur'an called The Women, there is a couple of sentences that says do not kill each other and I can't remember word for word how it goes but it goes onto forbid killing people in an injust way and or in a hostile way. I'm sure I read that hell awaits those who do kill people in that way.

The Qur'an switches it topics/instuctions often in the chapters thoug,h so its hard to remember everything unless one goes back and read or checks things.

The problem with that is the Qur'an is not in chronological order, unlike the Bible whiff has an obvious timeline and order of events. I guess Allah had no sense of time.

Later verses in the Qur'an also abrogate earlier ones, so if an early verse says not to kill it is later abrogated/superseded by verses which instruct to kill.
    The was verses removed because Muhammad was deceived by Satan to enter to them and so the theory goes that the entire Qur'an is not God's work, hence why it wages wars all other Abrhamic faiths. In the Bible Jesus was tempted and resisted because he knew it was Satan and theology shows he wa divine where Muhammad was just mortal and therefore unable to tell what was Allah's word and what was Satan's. Any one can read about the 'Satanic Verses' and make their own mind up. Whether or not it is true is debatable but Islam has been waging on Judahism and Christianth for the last 1,200 years and continues to do due its Prophet.

Islam just collapses under own it's flaws and apologists don't have much of defence.

The Hadith is the biography of Mumammad as recorded by various followers and shows many reasons why Islam suffers from extremeism because Muhammad was a warlord.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem with that is the Qur'an is not not chronological order, unlike the Bible whiff has an obvious timeline and order of events.

Later verses in the Qur'an also abrogate earlier ones, so if an early verse says not to kill it later abrogated/supersede by verses which instruct to kill.

Islam just collapses under own it's flaws and apologists don't have much of defence.

The haditb the biography of Mumammad as recorded by various followers and show many reasons Islam suffers from extremeism because Muhammad was a warlord.

The Qur'an isn't in chronological order but I doubt very much that the orders forbiding killing innocent people is superceded. I often find people who say the Qur'an says someone can do something really out of order has taken it out of context.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »

In the sense that NF said it yes, as he was using it in it's term for struggle and how we could all be called Jihadists , he was basically saying it can mean so many things yet it is claimed by those acting out terrorst atrocities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/beliefs/jihad_1.shtml

Jihad

The literal meaning of Jihad is struggle or effort, and it means much more than holy war.

Muslims use the word Jihad to describe three different kinds of struggle:

A believer's internal struggle to live out the Muslim faith as well as possible
    The struggle to build a good Muslim society
    Holy war: the struggle to defend Islam, with force if necessary
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically this is a lot of fuss about nothing but dodgy 'Western' interpretations on what the word 'Jihad' means?

Do you ever get the feeling some people are just trying to rattle the sabre?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    My name isn't John so leave me out pls.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

Seems strange that an all powerful God needs to employ a PR man to get his message across :D
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    The Qur'an isn't in chronological order but I doubt very much that the orders forbiding killing innocent people is superceded. I often find people who say the Qur'an says someone can do something really out of order has taken it out of context.

You like most people who discuss this miss the get out clause ....who defines what and who an "innocent" person is ?
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Ferrari is not a jihadist he would not get out of his chair quick enough,just watch him on call Clegg.:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    You like most people who discuss this miss the get out clause ....who defines what and who an "innocent" person is ?

He is viewed as infidel in Islamic State lands so was never innocent.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello darling have you had a nice day. No I had a real jihad staying awake driving home, I thought turning on the radio would help but I ended up hitting a tree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Hello darling have you had a nice day. No I had a real jihad staying awake driving home, I thought turning on the radio would help but I ended up hitting a tree.

The word jihad derives from arabic no doubt so why would someone mix up arabic and english for in that way?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The word jihad derives from arabic no doubt so why would someone mix up arabic and english for in that way?

Err listening to LBC perhaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Err listening to LBC perhaps.

The caller was pointing out what jihad meant, not that it should be mixed up within english sentences in the way you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jihad means struggle or strive against. There is 164 Jihad verses in Koran and most of them entail fight the enemy. chopping or heads or subjecting people.

It might be a personal struggle in Arabic but in terms of Islamists it is a struggle or fight against the infidels to spread Islam.
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You appear to have a bit of experience in this area. :)

Could you please cite the specific Quranic verse/s forbidding the killing of innocents, and also the definition of who qualifies as " innocent " according to the Quran itself, and/or orthodox Islamic scholars, and/or Islamic jurisprudence. I agree with your comment that we must understand Quranic imperatives in context, which is why the the definition is so important. Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You appear to have a bit of experience in this area. :)

Could you please cite the specific Quranic verse/s forbidding the killing of innocents, and also the definition of who qualifies as " innocent " according to the Quran itself, and/or orthodox Islamic scholars, and/or Islamic jurisprudence. I agree with your comment that we must understand Quranic imperatives in context, which is why the the definition is so important. Cheers.

I've got an english translated version. In the "version" I'm reading, under the chapter called The Women, it is in that section not to kill people in an injust way and out of hostility. It only allows killing under self defence when muslims are being attacked in war and or going to the help of others but there seems to be a lot of restrictions/prohibitions on that too. The subjects change quickly in the Qur'an within sections and pages. The version I have bought has a pretty good introduction to it explaining these kind of things too.
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an english translated version. In the "version" I'm reading, under the chapter called The Women, it is in that section not to kill people in an injust way and out of hostility. It only allows killing under self defence when muslims are being attacked in war and or going to the help of others but there seems to be a lot of restrictions/prohibitions on that too. The subjects change quickly in the Qur'an within sections and pages. The version I have bought has a pretty good introduction to it explaining these kind of things too.

Yes, you mentioned this before. It's all terribly vague and meaningless I'm afraid without the actual citations. Perhaps the command "not to kill innocents" doesn't exist ? Yet earlier you claimed to doubt that it had been superceded by other verses. So it must exist, right ?

How is it possible to examine the context of a verse when you won't even provide it, much less define who falls under the Quranic definition of innocent ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, you mentioned this before. It's all terribly vague and meaningless I'm afraid without the actual citations. Perhaps the command "not to kill innocents" doesn't exist ? Yet earlier you claimed to doubt that it had been superceded by other verses. So it must exist, right ?

How is it possible to examine the context of a verse when you won't even provide it, much less define who falls under the Quranic definition of innocent ?

The Woman is early on the Qur'an and is made obsolete by later verses which include killing.

How the Qur'an works in that early verses are abrogated by later :

"None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things? "

So a verse about being kind can be subtitled by another verse about killing people.

It's all very convenient if you want to use The Qur'an to become a terrorist because you can substitute peace with violence.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It is there, I already told you that. Only about 2 sentences but there is more and the Qur'an repeats lots of things over and over again as it was revealed to Mohammed over 20 years.