Samsung Galaxy S2 Signal Boost App

Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The latest Samsung Galaxy S2 (Orange) includes a "Signal Boost" app, which boasts to improve indoors mobile phone reception by using the WiFi network in some way.

I can't yet confirm that it makes a difference; maybe it does. I am very curious to learn how this is supposed to work; would anyone know?

[Edit] Found this: http://androidphone-tips.blogspot.com/2011/06/orange-ramps-up-signal-boost-wi-fi.html. Not sure if this is an accurate description.
[/Edit]

Comments

• unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest Samsung Galaxy S2 (Orange) includes a "Signal Boost" app, which boasts to improve indoors mobile phone reception by using the WiFi network in some way.

I can't yet confirm that it makes a difference; maybe it does. I am very curious to learn how this is supposed to work; would anyone know?

[Edit] Found this: http://androidphone-tips.blogspot.com/2011/06/orange-ramps-up-signal-boost-wi-fi.html. Not sure if this is an accurate description.
    [/Edit]

Its a fantastic app, How it works is it uses your WiFi signal to make and receive calls and texts, so if you have poor signal at home you are now guaranteed excellent signal.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its VOIP then but I imagine with standard mobile charges if you make a call.
  • Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Vodafone do the same?

I know they have their Sure Signal but that involves another box & power suply, not the best option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Its VOIP then but I imagine with standard mobile charges if you make a call.

Thats correct, and even better is if you are abroad and use this service you are charged no roaming, it just comes of your standard mins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen93 wrote: »
    Do Vodafone do the same?

I know they have their Sure Signal but that involves another box & power suply, not the best option.

No, Only Orange, T-mo are starting to roll it out. Sure Signal is all Vodafone offer, still more than O2 who offer damn all
  • Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the Sure Signal box as it was free, don't use it because I've got a good "H" signal, the Sure Signal makes no difference.
  • Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unklesam wrote: »
    Thats correct, and even better is if you are abroad and use this service you are charged no roaming, it just comes of your standard mins

Oh, that's pretty nice to know. Thanks.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting. Any way to get the app if you're on an unbranded S2?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this an app just for the SG2, or just for Android, or is it available for other platforms? I'm on Orange and have a terrible signal at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    interesting. Any way to get the app if you're on an unbranded S2?

Go to XDA and get the Orange ROM and flash
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this an app just for the SG2, or just for Android, or is it available for other platforms? I'm on Orange and have a terrible signal at home.

Its available on a few android handsets, blackberrys, and Nokia N8, you have to flash the Orange branded ROM
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, flashing the Orange Rom means getting all the other crapware Orange includes on its phone.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    Ahh, flashing the Orange Rom means getting all the other crapware Orange includes on its phone.

yeah I'll pass.