Options

Title of First episode of new series

DavidusDavidus Posts: 201
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Asylum-of-the-Daleks

Just some new info for those of you who hadn't yet heard of it.

Asylum of the Daleks.

I'm just trying to fathom out how the story will interpret ALL daleks throughout history.

Should be fun finding out :)

Comments

• Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Davidus wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Asylum-of-the-Daleks

Just some new info for those of you who hadn't yet heard of it.

Asylum of the Daleks.

I'm just trying to fathom out how the story will interpret ALL daleks throughout history.

Should be fun finding out :)

Not ALL Daleks. Individuals of all different types. My guess is that this 'asylum' houses Daleks who don't share the general Dalek outlook on life. Much like the prison ship in Doomsday, they would have been kept out of the Time War.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Love the title.

Hope the episode is a classic.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ALL Daleks. Individuals of all different types. My guess is that this 'asylum' houses Daleks who don't share the general Dalek outlook on life. Much like the prison ship in Doomsday, they would have been kept out of the Time War.

Of course, it could just as easilly mean 'asylum' as in 'seeking asylum'; after all, the Daleks are without a homeworld nowadays and could certainly do with a new one. And we've seen how crafty they can be in Power of the Daleks (and it's lame imitation 'Victory of the Daleks'); there could well be some foolish planet who will have them... it's about time we saw the Daleks in a real position of strength again and devastating worlds.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Of course, it could just as easilly mean 'asylum' as in 'seeking asylum'; after all, the Daleks are without a homeworld nowadays and could certainly do with a new one.

Knowing Moffat, it will probably have both meanings. :)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just hoping we don't go from one extreme to another.

Victory of the Daleks featured, IMO, the Daleks getting one over on The Doctor and actually getting away with it. Hopefully we won't be straight back to "lots and lots of Daleks, most evil plan ever, getting destroyed by the end of the episode."

But, in Moffat I trust. The title suggests a Dalek story with... "more to it" if you get my meaning. The single episode Dalek stories have been my favorite so far..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    But, in Moffat I trust. The title suggests a Dalek story with... "more to it" if you get my meaning. The single episode Dalek stories have been my favorite so far..

It sounds like we may be getting another story about what it means to be Dalek, much like the Series 1 standalone episode - not a bad thing in my book.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like we may be getting another story about what it means to be Dalek, much like the Series 1 standalone episode - not a bad thing in my book.

Not a bad thing at all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, you need to have a lot of action in a Dalek story (and i'm not usually big on action) because scenes of the Daleks standing around talking are incredibly boring, as they have no expression, either physically or in their voices. There's no point in trying to nuance the Daleks either because it just waters down the core concept of them as space Nazis. And if you lose that then you're left with the famous pepper pot with an egg whisk and sink plunger stuck to it; not terribly interesting, really. I think the most interesting thing about the Daleks is that they are totally uncompromising and totally of their nature. They don't have the scope to be anything else but they are ruthelessly brilliant at that one thing: mass extermination. They are very pure.

I think emotional Daleks or overly pyschological Daleks is a wrong turn. This is a race that has evolved to be the ultimate killers. I don't think they'd even be capable of introspection. Evolution would have removed that from them.

I think we'll get lots of explosions and a lot of slam bang action, and for once in Doctor Who, I don't think that's a bad thing.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm, all types of Daleks eh? I very much doubt they'll have 'The Human Dalek' cos it's deaded :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait for this....love the title, very bold and brilliant!

Definitely an episode "with more than meets the naked eye" definitely!

Cannot wait to see it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the most interesting thing about the Daleks is that they are totally uncompromising and totally of their nature. They don't have the scope to be anything else but they are ruthelessly brilliant at that one thing: mass extermination. They are very pure.

I think emotional Daleks or overly pyschological Daleks is a wrong turn. This is a race that has evolved to be the ultimate killers. I don't think they'd even be capable of introspection. Evolution would have removed that from them.
    Ah, but you don't need to complicate the Daleks in order to explore the nature of the Daleks.

Nazis or not, the best monsters in sci-fi exist because they reflect human psychology and give us an opportunity to examine, loathe or fear those parts of us.

Similarly, if this episode is about psychologically damaged Daleks, it would provide the opportunity to explore what it is that makes one not-Dalek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm interested to see how they have all the different types of Daleks in one go without them all turning on each other. Even in Victory of the Daleks, we saw that the Paradigm Daleks really aren't fond of the Time-War era Daleks, for example.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, all types of Daleks eh? I very much doubt they'll have 'The Human Dalek' cos it's deaded :D
    No, they won't have it because it was crap. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fire Host wrote: »
    I'm interested to see how they have all the different types of Daleks in one go without them all turning on each other. Even in Victory of the Daleks, we saw that the Paradigm Daleks really aren't fond of the Time-War era Daleks, for example.

Maybe that's why they've been put into an asylum. A building full of Daleks that only want to help, and make daisy-chains, and discuss poetry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe that's why they've been put into an asylum. A building full of Daleks that only want to help, and make daisy-chains, and discuss poetry.
    Kill eachother and/or escape, more like. And the Doctor will be in an asylum by the time they've finished with their diabolical plan >:-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, but you don't need to complicate the Daleks in order to explore the nature of the Daleks.

Nazis or not, the best monsters in sci-fi exist because they reflect human psychology and give us an opportunity to examine, loathe or fear those parts of us.

Agreed. But those parts of us that the Daleks represent is the unreasoning totalitariansm of fascism. You can't be introspective alongside that.

Evil of the Daleks was a story that manged to examine 'the Dalek factor' without having to order in counsellors for them.

I just don't think there's much to examine about them. Why does a fox kill chickens? Why does a spider spin it's web? They are what they are in ther nature to be. The Daleks are killing machines. I just don't think there's much mileage in over-analysing them.

But, that siad, i'm not fundamentaly opposed to such a story if its handled well. My instinct is jsut that it is better to go with action with the daleks, especially for a season opener.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing a Moffat Dalek episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As wonderful as that sounds, it would be strange for such Daleks to be put in an asylum, as opposed to just shot on the spot by their colleagues.

Well, this title is certainly full of intrigue, if nothing else. ;)
  • Options
    col bcol b Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I thought the title simply suggested that the Daleks had asylum from the time war much like in an embassy or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping the Doctor gets transported there and Silent Hill style has to work his wait out of this nightmare as he slowly realises that he is trapped with the craziest of the Dalek species. And that it only features a few actual Daleks and instead references the different types (thereby showing the master plan (hehe) of the multi-coloured ones we saw two years ago).

Basically, make it a horror story!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping the Doctor gets transported there and Silent Hill style has to work his wait out of this nightmare as he slowly realises that he is trapped with the craziest of the Dalek species. And that it only features a few actual Daleks and instead references the different types (thereby showing the master plan (hehe) of the multi-coloured ones we saw two years ago).

Basically, make it a horror story!
    That'd be good and hopefully involves them giving him visions of burning Time Lords as well... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evil of the Daleks was a story that manged to examine 'the Dalek factor' without having to order in counsellors for them.
    But it doesn't have to be introspective - the Daleks themselves don't need to think about why they do what they do for it to be an interesting story for us. Which should keep us both happy.
    I just don't think there's much to examine about them. Why does a fox kill chickens? Why does a spider spin it's web?
    And yet, some of the most classic stories come from exactly that angle - from Robert the Bruce to Charlotte's Web, Chicken Licken to Aesop's Fables. There's still interesting stuff to say about how the fox gets the chicken, or what the construction of the web entails.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any ideas as to whether the "Asylum" means a lunatic asylum or whether it refers to a place Daleks can go to find protection or shelter?
    Or both?

My money is on the former, but it would be just like Moffat to throw in some word teasing.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Any ideas as to whether the "Asylum" means a lunatic asylum or whether it refers to a place Daleks can go to find protection or shelter?
    Or both?

My money is on the former, but it would be just like Moffat to throw in some word teasing.

As someone else mentioned, I suspect it will mean both.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always had this idea of, a Dalek and Doctor story where..to really give the Doctor massive angst as to what to believe in..he ends up having to team up with a Dalek to help get out of a place and thus saving the said Dalek and they both get out. What if this is a story like that? Done right, I think it would be awesome