The Royle Family - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite scenes is this

Barbara Royle: 'Ey Jim, Jim, d'ya fancy an early night?

Jim Royle: There must be bloody something on, mustn't there!

It's not so much what is said but it is the facial expression that Barbara makes. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Barb: What did you have for tea Denise?
    Denise: Spaghetti
    Barb: bolognese
    Denise: Hoops

simple and perfect
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yes, he was great as Twiggy (love Onslow as well).

I liked him and Jim in the episode where they were apparently decorating for baby David's Christening. Mambo no 5.

Brilliant piece of writing, nobody says a word for four minutes and it still has me laughing all the way through. That's great comedy, where none of the characters says anything and it's still funny.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Suit You Sir Do you want it' scene when Anthony got a ring for his birthday was brill too.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year they should get back to basics and have it set in the Royle's house where it works best. IMO
  • SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nana: Oh is it tonight that thing with a man in it dressed as a chicken
    Barb: I dunno Mum
    Nana: You know Denise that man he's a chicken, oh it is funny I do like that programme
    Denise: I dont know what your on about Nana
    Nana: David will you look in the paper id hate to miss it
    Dave: You know what its called Norma?
    Nana: No
    Dave: I cant see anything it might be Norma
    Denise: It might be the chicken tonight advert.
    Nana: No its not that but I like that, Is that on tonight David?
    Dave: Well I dont know the adverts aren't gonna be in here
    Nana: Oh Barbara do you know what its called, that thing with that man in it dressed as a chicken?
    Jim: Right that's it get your coat on Dave.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I paid a quid for these pants and I've got 60p stuck up my arse!"

Alongside "Mambo No5" (which you see coming a mile off but is so well done) my favourite scene is in the episode when someone has brought something in on their shoe. At the end Joe sings a lovely Irish lament with the others joining in the chorus. He finishes, and all is silent for a few seconds. Then Darren announces You can still smell the shit in here!"

And Dave's got a dodgy gut after a poor pint at a pub other than The Feathers, .

Anthony: "Yeah, gotta watch the lager in there, they don't clean their pipes."

Jim: "What do YOU know about it?" (implying he's too young)

Anthiny: "I know!"

Jim: "Well I don't want to hear about you drinking in The Feathers,............ You don't shit on you own doorstep!"

Dave (ruefully): "I nearly did last night......"
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise and Dave drunk, fighting about Beverly Macca. Barbara's high pitched screaming for Jim to get out of bed, I love it when she does that manic Jim.Jim! J-I-M!!
    Denise's,"..that's what they are, they're two shovels of shit." and Beverly's" ...too fat to be the fly.."

I keep thinking of new bits, there are just too many, I really should be working, but everyone else's bits are too good.....that came out wrong, but you know what I mean.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    "I paid a quid for these pants and I've got 60p stuck up my arse!"

Alongside "Mambo No5" (which you see coming a mile off but is so well done) my favourite scene is in the episode when someone has brought something in on their shoe. At the end Joe sings a lovely Irish lament with the others joining in the chorus. He finishes, and all is silent for a few seconds. Then Darren announces You can still smell the shit in here!"

And Dave's got a dodgy gut after a poor pint at a pub other than The Feathers, .

Anthony: "Yeah, gotta watch the lager in there, they don't clean their pipes."

Jim: "What do YOU know about it?" (implying he's too young)

Anthiny: "I know!"

Jim: "Well I don't want to hear about you drinking in The Feathers,............ You don't shit on you own doorstep!"

Dave (ruefully): "I nearly did last night......"

Is that when Barbara cleans it off into the sink with all the dishes in?....We were screaming 'noooooo' at the tv!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    When Cheryl empties Nana's wee bag into the sink and wipes it with a tea towel !!!
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally Lindsay's character had some great one liners in the christening episode
    ''Talk about a burning ring of fire, talking of which I need the shithouse now''

(Talking about Cheryl's dodgy physic) ''Gemini Astrid for five quid, she talks absolute bolloaks she does love, I wouldnt take any notice
    Barbara: Oh Cheryl you found love and then you lost it
    Mary: Better to of loved than to never have loved at all
    cue arkward silence
    Barbara: Cheryl, do you want a sasuage roll?
    Cheryl: Yes please
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    My ex sister in law was just like her .. a lazy cow and her mum always had her children and pleaded she was tired .... of doing NOTHING it seemed ...:mad:

Caroline Aherne played that part so well.

Yeah, Denise for me is the laziest character in the show. Jim's definately up there as being lazy, but she's the worst I reckon! Love how one episode when Barbara stormed out after an argument with Jim and..

Dave: Why is it we never go to my mum and dad's?
    Denise: I tell you why Dave, all they do is sit on there fat arses and watch telly all day, it's boring!

And your mum and dad and yourself don't I suppose Denise?! :rolleyes:
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Cannot remember the exact wording but ..

Denise. We will get the baby's ears pierced.

Jim. Why not get it tattooed at the same time ...lol

Jim: Why don't you get the baby adopted? There's nothing like a mother's love is there?

Jim: Why don't you leave the bugger here and visit it once a week?!

:D
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Series 1-3 & Queen of Sheba-Fantastic, 10/10
    The New Sofa & The Golden Egg Cup-Average 6/10
    Joe Crackers-A return to form, very funny 8/10

I agree, I thought Joe's Crackers was very funny, I know we were rolling around in the living that evening, everyone from my nan to my niece in stiches, and it was bittersweet too-Perfect Christmas viewing so I'm glad its back this year :D
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    The New Sofa currently being shown on GOLD.
    Forum Member
    Dave: Alright Ant
    Antony: Hiya Dave
    Dave: How's the band?
    Antony: Oh err, we've split up
    Dave: Bloody hell..

And then when Jim laughs twice, so funny! :p

Barbara: Are you staying over for Millenium night Mam?
    Norma: Is that alright? Only I wouldn't want to miss it
    Jim: Why, what was the last one like Norma?

• Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that when Barbara cleans it off into the sink with all the dishes in?....We were screaming 'noooooo' at the tv!

Yep, when Mary sticks her nose right into it to deduce that it really is dog poo. :D

Another one is Barbara and Denise discussing a finger buffet.

Jim responds "Finger my arse!", before realising and laughing his head off.
  • BohochicBohochic Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Nana, on learning that Anthony's gf is a veggie:

"Can she eat wafer thin ham Barbara?"

Comedy gold:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I remember the one where Jim comes on over the baby monitor, not sure why but it really tickled my funnybone and i was in tears of laughter
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Sally Lindsay's character had some great one liners in the christening episode
    ''Talk about a burning ring of fire, talking of which I need the shithouse now''

(Talking about Cheryl's dodgy physic) ''Gemini Astrid for five quid, she talks absolute bolloaks she does love, I wouldnt take any notice
    Barbara: Oh Cheryl you found love and then you lost it
    Mary: Better to of loved than to never have loved at all
    cue arkward silence
    Barbara: Cheryl, do you want a sasuage roll?
    Cheryl: Yes please

This one makes me die laughing every time:

Michelle says her kids were taken away by social services

Michelle: Social took away, said I were an unfit mother
    Barbara: Oh Michelle that's terrible
    Michelle: Well to be honest Barb, I were an unfit mother. I was very heavily on the piss at the time. But they got on well with the foster parents so it worked out well in both ends

Classic!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    This one makes me die laughing every time:

Michelle says her kids were taken away by social services

Michelle: Social took away, said I were an unfit mother
    Barbara: Oh Michelle that's terrible
    Michelle: Well to be honest Barb, I were an unfit mother. I was very heavily on the piss at the time. But they got on well with the foster parents so it worked out well in both ends

Classic!

That whole episode is brilliant.Michelle is really funny and Nanna's classic.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nana getting shampoo as a Christmas present whispers to Babera;

"Barbera - it says 'not tested on animals'. What if I spill some on a dog!!:eek:".

I marke the main series 9/10 - outstanding
    The Queen of Sheba 6/10 - played for tears too obviously, twee
    The Golden Egg Cup 3/10 - poor throughout
    The New Sofa 7/10 - Dave Snr quite superb
    Joe's Crackers - back to the proper 'feel' to the programme.

Jim is pretty unpleasant but Denise is a horrid person.

Ant'ny is brilliant.
    Forum Member
    leemuir wrote: »
    I remember the one where Jim comes on over the baby monitor, not sure why but it really tickled my funnybone and i was in tears of laughter

Yeah that was funny! :D

That was when Nana's best friend Elsie died, love how Nana apparently wasn't trying to move in with the Royles but it was blatently obvious she was. :p
    Frood wrote: »
    Nana getting shampoo as a Christmas present whispers to Babera;

"Barbera - it says 'not tested on animals'. What if I spill some on a dog!!:eek:".

I marke the main series 9/10 - outstanding
    The Queen of Sheba 6/10 - played for tears too obviously, twee
    The Golden Egg Cup 3/10 - poor throughout
    The New Sofa 7/10 - Dave Snr quite superb
    Joe's Crackers - back to the proper 'feel' to the programme.

Jim is pretty unpleasant but Denise is a horrid person.

Ant'ny is brilliant.

Agreed there.

Denise is the worst horrible character in the show, love how she suddenly falls pregnant and can't do anything but stay on the sofa.. "I'm pregnant, I've got to take it easy now" you did anyway Denise. :yawn:
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim wanting a cuppa:

Me throat's as dry as Ghandi's flip flop.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching it now. How come we never see Jim smoke? He's always asking Anthony to pick him some up and he always references being a smoker but we never see him smoke.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm feeling down abit I'll lock myself up in my room and watch all three series back to back and then suddenly everything's okay again! I cry my eyes out EVERY SINGLE TIME when Nana dies :( (welling up at the thought lol)

Nana: I never drink me, just a sherry at Christmas, whiskey at new year and a bottle of stout.

Barbara: Well, I don't care what anybody is - I don't care whether they're gay, straight or Australian. It's what they're like as a person that matters.

Nana: May God forgive you Jim Royle for talking ill of the dead like that (not what she says but the way she says it!!)

Barbara: You don't have to bring shit into it, love.

Denise: I'm only not smoking in front of Baby David until he's old enough to get up and walk out of the room, then it's his choice.

Nana: She married a joiner, moved to Leeds, he knocked her about a bit, but her home was lovely

Nana: Ey, I tell you who is in hospital, Gwen's husband.
    Barbara : Ooh, what's he having done?
    Nana: He's having something fitted.
    Jim: What - a wardrobe?

Jim: Your bloody Nana's bloody more interested in bloody Coronation bloody Street than the baby!
    Barbara: Jim, how many bloodies is that?

There's a million more I just can't think of them at the moment!