bt vision no linear channels on offer

Comments

• VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Are we talking about two different things here? There's IP channels on Vision boxes, and IP channels on Youview from BT boxes, right? The situation in each case is likely to be different.

I can't see any problem with existing Vision box users signing up for IP channels as long as they have a box that can handle them and they don't get locked into a new contract of more than a month. Youview from BT is a different matter altogether - and I certainly wouldn't sign up to BT Vision with a Vision box for the first time, now. I'll be waiting to see the Youview from BT offering later in the year.

Do we know the long-term plans for BT Vision via Vision boxes?

There are two important distinctions here d@ve - IP channels offering VOD only and live IP channels. YouView from BT is VOD only at the moment. But when they become Multicast live IP channel enabled in the summer, BT will stop the provision of Vision boxes and completely switch to YouView. Though the black legacy boxes will still be maintained.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I will ironically enjoy having BT Broadband and YouView from BT but having to subscribe via SKY to receive BT's own sports channel.

The problem, as far as I can see, is that YouView isn't fully prepared, the Infinity/multicast rollout isn't complete enough, but the Premier League contract expiring when it did forced BT to act before it was ready.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    syko29793 wrote: »
    They are available now to order over the phone and also on bt.com. To order online just follow the manage my bt vision link on bt.com. click this link

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=34210

Click on order vision essential or tv unlimited (the existing packages) choose the btvision option from the pop up and it will start an order which will give the option to add the new channels with essential extra and unlimited extra. It will ask if you want a new 10m ethernet cable which is free.and also to add sky sports or espn. You also have to add HD channels on as a separate option.

At the moment, there are no HD channels, syko29793. There will be, but not yet.

And the new Multicast channels are still only available by invite only. Will that situation change tomorrow? Or next week? Who knows? But your jumping the gun a little bit with that declaration.
  • syko29793syko29793 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    At the moment, there are no HD channels, syko29793. There will be, but not yet.

And the new Multicast channels are still only available by invite only. Will that situation change tomorrow? Or next week? Who knows? But your jumping the gun a little bit with that declaration.

They are available to order now both over the phone and online. I ordered them on bt.com today. (23/02/13). But you can order over the phone on 0800 800 030 option 1.
    There are four FTA HD channels BBC1HD,BBC HD,ITVHD and channel 4 HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are available to order now both over the phone and online. I ordered them on bt.com today. (23/02/13). But you can order over the phone on 0800 800 030 option 1.
    There are four FTA HD channels BBC1HD,BBC HD,ITVHD and channel 4 HD.

I didn't mean the FTA HD channels, syko29793, so apologies for not being clearer. I meant the Premium HD channels. And you may have ordered them, but thats not exactly confirmation your going to get them. And you know what I'm talking about. And sorry for being so objectionable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I have just followed the link on the BT.com site given by Syko and yes you can order the linear channels (which are all in SD).
    You have the choice of getting an engineer to set the thing up (£35) or they will send you a free 10 metre ethernet cable. The whole process however seems more for new customers rather than existing ones (may be wrong in this). Immaterial for myself at present as I will await confirmation that BT will carry the Sky Sports channels before commiting to any new contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why syko29793,

I owe you and give you an apology. They are indeed now taking orders for the new channels. And, surprise surprise, Sky Sports and ESPN now appear to be Multicast too, for those that order.
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why syko29793,

I owe you and give you an apology. They are indeed now taking orders for the new channels. And, surprise surprise, Sky Sports and ESPN now appear to be Multicast too, for those that order.

Am I going blind? I cant find any reference to linear iptv channels or multicast versions of the sports channels. Please throw some more links.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Am I going blind? I cant find any reference to linear iptv channels or multicast versions of the sports channels. Please throw some more links.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/Signed-up-to-BT-Vision-Essential-Extra/td-p/743846/page/10

From post #12. And if you keep on reading the thread, it explains the process for BTVision users to follow and a user has also uploaded a picture of Sky Sports showing it now listed as bTV.
  • souldriftersouldrifter Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    How do you order them online? I keep getting error messages when I try to order,
  • syko29793syko29793 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    How do you order them online? I keep getting error messages when I try to order,

use this link

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/orderproduct?productId=CON-27455&productKey=CON-TAVISION_ONLY
    Forum Member

Thanks, but still doesn't work for some reason I keep getting Sorry, a technical error has occurred.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but still doesn't work for some reason I keep getting Sorry, a technical error has occurred.

By any chance do you change your DNS settings to watch the football or geoblocked stuff by 'other means'?
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    By any chance do you change your DNS settings to watch the football or geoblocked stuff by 'other means'?

I do yes, so that could be the problem then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, my exchange details have changed and it says I'm no longer fibre Multicast -

WBC FTTC Up to 57 Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Available
    ADSL Max Up to 5 Available
    WBC Fixed Rate 2 Available
    Fixed Rate 2 Available

Other Offerings
    Fibre Multicast 01-Apr-13
    Copper Multicast Available

How bizarre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you checked your actually eligible to recieve them? As you need to jump through quite a few hoops atm.

You need - a black BTV box thats also on the BTVision 2.0 platform. A hard wired connection to your hub (though powerlines may work). BT Infinity fibre. And a Multicast enabled exchange.

You can check your exchange details here -

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do yes, so that could be the problem then?

Possibly yes. Loads of people who change theirs (I'm one of them too!) have problems with certain forms on websites like Sky etc.

To rule it out, if you've only changed the DNS settings on your computer and not the router, try using the form on a mobile or tablet and see if that works. It worked for me when I needed to do something similar. Kept getting an error message on laptop but worked straight away on my phone.

Might not be that but it's worth a go.
    Forum Member
    Have you checked your actually eligible to recieve them? As you need to jump through quite a few hoops atm.

You need - a black BTV box thats also on the BTVision 2.0 platform. A hard wired connection to your hub (though powerlines may work). BT Infinity fibre. And a Multicast enabled exchange.

You can check your exchange details here -

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html

Yeah I have the black box but i am still on the classic version at the moment. But these are the results of the ADSL checker

WBC FTTC Up to 75.4 Up to 20--Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
    ADSL Max Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
    WBC Fixed Rate 2 ----Available
    Fixed Rate 2 ----Available
    Other Offerings
    Fibre Multicast
    Available
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have the black box but i am still on the classic version at the moment. But these are the results of the ADSL checker

WBC FTTC Up to 75.4 Up to 20--Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
    ADSL Max Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
    WBC Fixed Rate 2 ----Available
    Fixed Rate 2 ----Available
    Other Offerings
    Fibre Multicast
    Available

Fibre Multicast. Nice one. Then you just need to be upgraded to the new look platform to be able to order them.

But be aware you may also need a hard wire connection to your hub for reliability.
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    Possibly yes. Loads of people who change theirs (I'm one of them too!) have problems with certain forms on websites like Sky etc.

To rule it out, if you've only changed the DNS settings on your computer and not the router, try using the form on a mobile or tablet and see if that works. It worked for me when I needed to do something similar. Kept getting an error message on laptop but worked straight away on my phone.

Might not be that but it's worth a go.

hmm, i just tried on my mobile using 3G and it comes up with the same error, so i guess it's not my DNS settings. I ordered Sky Sports using bt.com only 2 months ago and it worked fine very strange. Looks like i will have to go through the dreaded phone call route lol.
    Forum Member
    Fibre Multicast. Nice one. Then you just need to be upgraded to the new look platform to be able to order them.

But be aware you may also need a hard wire connection to your hub for reliability.

That's ok i already use the Ethernet cable directly to the hub so no problem there. Still doesn't explain why i can't use the order form though, oh well thanks for your help :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm, i just tried on my mobile using 3G and it comes up with the same error, so i guess it's not my DNS settings. I ordered Sky Sports using bt.com only 2 months ago and it worked fine very strange. Looks like i will have to go through the dreaded phone call route lol.

Strange. Sorry that wasn't the solution but was worth a go. Hope you sort it soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As above. You need to be on the BTVision 2.0 platform to order and recieve the new channels.

Oh, and whats your fibre speed?
    Forum Member

As above. You need to be on the BTVision 2.0 platform to order and recieve the new channels.

Oh, and whats your fibre speed?

75mb mate. I'm guessing bt are still rolling out the 2.0 platform?

Can they not just update you to the multicast version anyway. Seems silly I would have to wait when I'm pretty much ready to receive them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    75mb mate. I'm guessing bt are still rolling out the 2.0 platform?

Can they not just update you to the multicast version anyway. Seems silly I would have to wait when I'm pretty much ready to receive them?

I agree with what you've said. But the update seems to be random, to us users. The BT Mods tried explaining the roll-out process once, where the BBC iPlayer was concerned, but they ended up just causing more confusion than sense. And yes, they're still rolling it out. But I expect/suspect this will be for only be for a few more months.