The Heat

rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone seen it? I went last night. I loved Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock and think they are talented actresses. I found it was a slow starter with a bit of a poor storyline but there were some great comedy moments!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night (it was sold out all night and Cineworld had to put another showing on which surprised me, I didn't think it'd be THAT popular), enjoyed it, although it did go on a bit too log and could have used some trimming, it was funny but it came dangerously close to outstaying it's welcome, and some of the improvised scenes went on a bit too long despite not being as funny as they thought it was. It was decent though, and the chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy keeps it bubbling along. McCarthy is getting typecast now though, there's only so many times an audience will pay to see her aggressive overcompensating OTT routine before it all gets a bit tired.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Saw it last night (it was sold out all night and Cineworld had to put another showing on which surprised me, I didn't think it'd be THAT popular), enjoyed it, although it did go on a bit too log and could have used some trimming, it was funny but it came dangerously close to outstay if it's welcome, and some of the improvised scenes went on a bit too long despite not being as funny as they thought it was. It was decent though, and the chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy keeps it bubbling along. McCarthy is getting typecast now though, there's only so many times an audience will pay to see her aggressive overcompensating OTT routine before it all gets a bit tired.

I agree. Hopefully she tries out a few different roles as she is a great comedy actress but I would love to see a different side of her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Melissa is going to end up annoying people if she doesn't change soon. People will start not caring and she will get on their nerves. Hopefully she'll be different in Tammy and St. Vincent de Van Nuys.

On-topic, I liked The Heat but it banked too much on the fact that two women were starring in a buddy cop movie, and a lot of the gags related to this just weren't funny.
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see this today and found it really enjoyable. Melissa McCarthy is just amazing and in all honesty I think she is the only reason the movie was enjoyable. Without her it would not have been the same.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it last week, I wasn't overly impressed. The plot was poor and the comedy, although it had its moments, was somewhat lacking for me.

It felt as if the actors were left to adlib a lot which for me felt like they (especially McCarthy)overcompensated just to force out something funny - so in the end it felt like 1 out of 10 moments were actually funny.

I am not saying I sat there stoney-faced there were a few laugh out loud moments but really not enough for a comedy.

So if the comedy was written then they need to higher better writers and if the comedy was mostly adlibbed then I personally feel they went with the wrong actress.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Funniest film I've seen in years, the best bits, with the Family.

Loved the Melon joke to.

No idea what the story was....but still - 8/10
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's surprising how little discussion there is about this film. It is too long, though the problem is more in the middle where the pace lags. Some of the humour goes way wide of the mark (the scene with guy choking on the pancake looks like it's been pasted in from a completely different film). But nonetheless it's great fun and there are plenty of laugh-out-loud gags.

Nice to see McCarthy's husband Ben Falcone getting another small-but-funny role in one of her films - maybe they should team up for an odd couple type film?
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the best bit was Sandra Bullocks foul mouthed tirade at McCarthys colleagues, and the tracheotomy and losing the grip on the guy hanging upside down was funny too. Definitely would have benefited from being shaved down to the standard 95-100 mins runtime though, felt very baggy.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with both the film needing shaving down and McCarthy on the verge of becoming typecast - that didn't stop me crying with laughter through the majority of this film!! Typecast or not, Melissa McCarthy really is just hilarious at what she is. Sandra Bullock was really good in it as well, really enjoyed this.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this last night & thought it was really funny.

Apart from being slightly too long, I thought it was great.