Options

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatStew wrote: »
    Admittedly, I only played it for an hour or so last night so haven't gotten very far, but so far I'm enjoying it. Kind of reminds me of AC Revelations in a way with a few features from AC3 thrown in such as eavesdropping and the naval battles. I'm not ever so keen on the modern day abstergo stuff so far, but interested to see how/if it pans out.

Was in two minds about getting it after the failure that was AC3, but so far not regretting it.

Been playing for afair few hours and so far, like the pirate stuff but not loving it and it still doesnt feel at all like a proper AC.

Gaining a violent hatred for the "present day" stuff!

The stupid in jokes are winding me up, "game devs in Montreal", the discussion about where the next "game" should take place.
    Having to hunt in peoples desks for passwords to snoop in their computers...
    Why would this multi national evil Templar controlled company (who is supposed to be super powerful and more power and cash than it knows what t odo with) waste their time having a "computer game company" so that random players could hunt through a certain someones "cloud memories"

Also why call this Assassins Creed 4 when it clearly isnt!
    At best its more of a "spin off" game from AC3 in my opinion.
  • Options
    Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like the Edward parts. Lets just say he is much more interesting than dour faced conner from AC III
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like the Edward parts. Lets just say he is much more interesting than dour faced conner from AC III

Couldnt agree more,I have said in previous posts that AC3 should have all been from Edward's POV and not bothered with Conner at all.

Always thought that a game from the Templars POV would be a nice change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Been playing for afair few hours and so far, like the pirate stuff but not loving it and it still doesnt feel at all like a proper AC.

The stupid in jokes are winding me up, "game devs in Montreal", the discussion about where the next "game" should take place.
    Why would this multi national evil Templar controlled company (who is supposed to be super powerful and more power and cash than it knows what t odo with) waste their time having a "computer game company" so that random players could hunt through a certain someones "cloud memories"

BIB - I've still got this to look forward to.. sounds great! :yawn: :o
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yup, I agree with this. Connor was just boring and dull. Haytham was ok I suppose. It'll be interesting to see if Haytham is featured in Edwards story somehow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I now haven't played (and won't until i get the PS4) but my initial thought is, look how long it took desmond through a series of games (or in game months) to find two or three artifacts

Now imagine you make part of abstergo be a games company where members of the public can search through different memories of desmonds live to find where all the artifacts are, it would be a hell of a lot quicker to have 100 people searching through 100 ancestors at the time

Plus the people they have used in previous games have been Assassin's or Templars, they have know the stakes, so they may have had a crisis of conscience or just decided not to help, if people think they are just playing a videogame about history they would be more willing help,

just my thoughts again i won't be playing for a while so please don't spoil it for me if i'm wrong :(:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I now haven't played (and won't until i get the PS4) but my initial thought is, look how long it took desmond through a series of games (or in game months) to find two or three artifacts

Now imagine you make part of abstergo be a games company where members of the public can search through different memories of desmonds live to find where all the artifacts are, it would be a hell of a lot quicker to have 100 people searching through 100 ancestors at the time

Plus the people they have used in previous games have been Assassin's or Templars, they have know the stakes, so they may have had a crisis of conscience or just decided not to help, if people think they are just playing a videogame about history they would be more willing help,

just my thoughts again i won't be playing for a while so please don't spoil it for me if i'm wrong :(:o

From that perspective I suppose it would make a certain amount of sense except that the ending of AC3 made it clear that Abstergo were not the big bad anymore or at hte very least we would be having a new threat which may have linked up with Abstergo to further both their plans.

This game to me at least feels like a huge injoke on behalf of the devs by portraying Abstergo as Ubisoft with lots of in game reference to the AC game series as well as a "watch dogs" easter egg that gives the impression that ac & watch dogs share the same world.

Edward is a much more interesting character than Conner (then again who isnt)

AC4 doesnt seem to be following (at least so far) the previous game which essentially left us on a sort of cliff hanger ending.

There is nothing wrong with the pirate stuff and there is plenty to explore (despite the very long loading screens) which will look amazing on next gen but thats all this game is at the end of the day. "pirates featuring the game mechanics of assassins creed"

I am about to show my age but...this game is essentially in the same vein as the first episode of South Park Season 2 where at the end of the first season they left us on a cliff hanger and then when the show came back they showed an episode of Terrence and Philip which had nothing to do with the cliff hanger and only ended up annoying everyone involved.
  • Options
    Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mainly buy the Assassins games for the MP, but after 4-5 hours of it they have really messed this up. Removing the 'chase' feature from the Wanted game mode is ridiculous, it means people are just running around getting low point kills because they know that they can chase you all over the place. Completely removes a big dynamic from the game.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree, Connor was a wasted chance to create a new character in the style of Ezio but based in the US but they screwed him up by making him have all the personality of a tree stump.

Haytham on the other hand would have been such an interesting way to explore how the templars always managed to bring down the assassin order and also to show what their motivations are to do what they do.
    Maybe its just me but how much better would it have been to see an assassins creed type of story play out through the eyes of an "ex-assassin" or at the very least someone who had the potential to be an assassin but the templars got their first?

The first part of AC3 was one of the most interesting parts of the series to date when played knowing that Haytham is a templar.

Would you enjoy playing as "the bad guy" taking down the assassin order after spendind so many games building them back up! while learning at the same time what makes the templars tick.

Not loving the trailers, just seems anything but an assassins creed game, may as well be called "pirates of the creed" as it looks to have naf all to do with the established AC history nor can I see how it would fit together with the ending of AC3 and that "cliffhanger"

I am not saying the locations/timeframe are not interesting nor is it devoid of new ideas but then neither was AC3 in that respect.
    I have said it before, this game is nothing more than a "cash grab" from Ubisoft pimping out the AC name to sell a game that will ahve little to no bearing on the overall AC storyline but will make them money while they are putting together a "proper" AC4 for next gen.

I think I would like playing as a Templar, I certainly would have preferred to play as Haythem in 3, the game was so much better whenever he was in it.

I never viewed the Templar's as 'evil' as such, I think it's just two organisations with very different opinions on what is best for the world. It would be really interesting to explore that side of things, what thier real goals are, Haythem would have been a good choice to do that, him being an ex Assassin.

I'm suprised they have never covered the story of Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Templars. The real Templars became so rich and powerful that King's were going to them for loans. The King of France had them all tortured and burned at Montfaucon on Friday 13th I think. They claimed the Templar's were heretics and worshipped a 3 headed demon called Baphomet. It's so interesting, i'm amazed they haven't covered this yet. (I'm no expert, I learnt most of this from Broken Sword, which also included an Assassin) Yet here we are with an extension of AC3......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, I agree with this. Connor was just boring and dull. Haytham was ok I suppose. It'll be interesting to see if Haytham is featured in Edwards story somehow.

I was thinking the same thing too! Also the way this game has started has had me thinking about how Haytham became a Templar a bit more.

I'd happlily play a game with Haytham as the lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I think I would like playing as a Templar, I certainly would have preferred to play as Haythem in 3, the game was so much better whenever he was in it.

I never viewed the Templar's as 'evil' as such, I think it's just two organisations with very different opinions on what is best for the world. It would be really interesting to explore that side of things, what thier real goals are, Haythem would have been a good choice to do that, him being an ex Assassin.

I'm suprised they have never covered the story of Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Templars. The real Templars became so rich and powerful that King's were going to them for loans. The King of France had them all tortured and burned at Montfaucon on Friday 13th I think. They claimed the Templar's were heretics and worshipped a 3 headed demon called Baphomet. It's so interesting, i'm amazed they haven't covered this yet. (I'm no expert, I learnt most of this from Broken Sword, which also included an Assassin) Yet here we are with an extension of AC3......

So far, I'm liking ACIV. I think it rather novel how they have introdcued Edward to the whole Assasin v Templar war. Is it an extension of AC3? Maybe, but Edward is a much more interesting character...
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes it not an AC game? I'm a couple of hours in and it seems like one to me. Is it story continuity ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What makes it not an AC game? I'm a couple of hours in and it seems like one to me. Is it story continuity ?

I have to say, contrary to my previous post, I'm starting to feel a bit disappointed with the game as an Assassins Creed game now that I've played it a bit longer. It is a good pirate game, but it is somehow lacking the same substance as Ezio's games - but maybe that's just because we know what to 'expect' from an assassin more now that the story and history have progressed.

I don't know, it's hard to explain, I'm more interested in Edward than I was Connor, but still miss Ezio!!

I do wonder if Achilles will feature in AC4 though? Would be interested to learn more about his character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say, contrary to my previous post, I'm starting to feel a bit disappointed with the game as an Assassins Creed game now that I've played it a bit longer. It is a good pirate game, but it is somehow lacking the same substance as Ezio's games - but maybe that's just because we know what to 'expect' from an assassin more now that the story and history have progressed.

I don't know, it's hard to explain, I'm more interested in Edward than I was Connor, but still miss Ezio!!

I do wonder if Achilles will feature in AC4 though? Would be interested to learn more about his character.

If Achilles is featured in AC4, I suspect he may only be a child or a teenager
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »

Wow, Broken Sword, now that takes me back!
    Fanatsic game, always liked it better on pc/ps1 than on mobile's but thats just my opinion.

I dont think that the Templars think that they themselves are evil but are actually fighting for world peace and what they think is best for humanity.

The Templars want to stop all wars by controlling all of humanity and taking away free will so that this small group of people control the rest of the 99%.(sound familier?)

They do this (in the world of AC) by being in control of the media and true knowledge.
    By being in control of these "facts" they control how we think and perceive the world around us.

Take the word assassin for instance, its linked to performing an evil act but the game shows that assassins fight against evil people but with a fair amount of media spin any righteous kill is now the murder of an innocent person by a lunitic.

You have to think that templars would have been scared of the power that Ezio had and that his legacy had built up around Europe through the brotherhood would have stopped any further templar interference so what do you do when even the name of your group is now linked to the evil deads that the templars have done through history?

Was it really the templars who became rich and powerful and considered a threat to kings?
    I think that if you read between the lines of (ac)history then its not a big jump to think that it wasnt the templars who were attacked and murdered on Friday 13th but it was the assassin guilds which were built up by Ezio.

From this point you can see that it allowed the templars to vanish from history to become "the world shadow government" fronted as abstergo while the assassins were mostly wiped out.

Well thats my opinion on it in any case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Achilles is featured in AC4, I suspect he may only be a child or a teenager

Edward's only 17 years older than Achilles, so it is possible, I think that it would be interesting to find out more about him and his involvement in the Assassin Order
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well without giving away too many spoilers for those who have not played the game.

Edward is interesting as he isnt from the AC order (spoilers) and so isnt really down with the cause unlike Ezio/ Altiar (not Conner!, will be a cold day in hell before I count that self serving one dimensional "£$$" as one!)

I like Edward as it shows in reality (well AC reality) that Desmond had links to both templar and assassins in his past with Edward representing perhaps the other side of Desmonds family tree (maybe his mothers side?) who could have been a templar/adstergo herself. (not based on fact, just my own opinion)

Each story in AC is about finding something and uncovering a mystery that is linked to present day but with all that occured in AC3, there isnt a mystery nor do we have a link to the present day (apart from the Abstergo/Ubisoft stuff that you can do)

The game is not really linked to the AC3 at all so without that link, your doing nothing more than playing as a pirate while dressed as an assassin.

I have said before that this game shouldnt have been called AC4 but rather just AC:BF and treat it as spin off game from AC3.

If this was treated as a spin off game then I would be on board (sorry couldnt resist) with this game and I could forgive that so far in my play though at least there is no reference to what was unleashed at the end of AC3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing too! Also the way this game has started has had me thinking about how Haytham became a Templar a bit more.

I'd happlily play a game with Haytham as the lead.

Totally agree, Haytham was the most interesting character in AC3 up until the final battle where he seemed partly drunk and did nothing but whine to Conner but I put that down to the Ubisoft trying to make us want to hate Haytham rather than actually agreeing with him (in parts)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree, Haytham was the most interesting character in AC3 up until the final battle where he seemed partly drunk and did nothing but whine to Conner but I put that down to the Ubisoft trying to make us want to hate Haytham rather than actually agreeing with him (in parts)

Glad I wasn't the only one who was siding with Haytham in AC3. Conner was not a good character at all. Even Achillies who spent most of his time in the Homestead was much more interesting.

Ok, I'd play a game with Achillies as the main character. I want to know what happened to his family!
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been loving this game.

Not sure about the tranny though James Kidd! Terrible northern accent actor.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Broken Sword, now that takes me back!
    Fanatsic game, always liked it better on pc/ps1 than on mobile's but thats just my opinion.

I dont think that the Templars think that they themselves are evil but are actually fighting for world peace and what they think is best for humanity.

The Templars want to stop all wars by controlling all of humanity and taking away free will so that this small group of people control the rest of the 99%.(sound familier?)

They do this (in the world of AC) by being in control of the media and true knowledge.
    By being in control of these "facts" they control how we think and perceive the world around us.

Take the word assassin for instance, its linked to performing an evil act but the game shows that assassins fight against evil people but with a fair amount of media spin any righteous kill is now the murder of an innocent person by a lunitic.

You have to think that templars would have been scared of the power that Ezio had and that his legacy had built up around Europe through the brotherhood would have stopped any further templar interference so what do you do when even the name of your group is now linked to the evil deads that the templars have done through history?

Was it really the templars who became rich and powerful and considered a threat to kings?
    I think that if you read between the lines of (ac)history then its not a big jump to think that it wasnt the templars who were attacked and murdered on Friday 13th but it was the assassin guilds which were built up by Ezio.

From this point you can see that it allowed the templars to vanish from history to become "the world shadow government" fronted as abstergo while the assassins were mostly wiped out.

Well thats my opinion on it in any case.

Yeah, I have played Broken Sword on every platform it's been released on, I think I first played the PS1 version, and then bought it for PC, it does work much better with a mouse I have to say. Touch screen is ok, but I prefer it on a big screen, I'm very excited about Broken Sword 5 this year!

You make an interesting point about Friday 13th, that could work really well to join history and the AC universe, it could be part of a larger conspiracy to wipe out the Assassins. I hope they do cover this one day, it would make a great game.

I don't know if they will though as they seem to be moving forward in time, unless they had an assassin uncovering the truth about it all. I still have hopes for that Victorian London setting, with Jack the Ripper as a Templar. There are so many theories about why he did what he did, it could easily be incorperated into a larger story.

I like the idea of the French Revolution also, but I think they said they wouldn't do that as it's too obvious, or something like that. I'm imagining a Scarlet Pimpernel type character, a total idiot in public, but secretly an assassin, that's a classic tale seen in Zorro or The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm just rambling now lol, there are just so many possibilities!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While playing ACIV: Black Flag, I can't help thinking Edward looks a bit like Chris Hemsworth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While playing ACIV: Black Flag, I can't help thinking Edward looks a bit like Chris Hemsworth

I would think that is on purpose as he certainly fits the bill in who you would cast as an assassin / pirate.

I would think that any time period would be a great setting for an AC game but the issue you have is that the more modern you get the more dated the game mechanics become.

Why use a hidden blade when a sniper rifle would do the job?

Why jump over buildings when you can drive?

There are easy solutions for all this of course,

The target may be inside and wary of being in the open.

Assassin may not be able to drive or people may be on the look out for assassins (lets be fair its got to be a pain and very dangerous to drive with your hood up)

I think in my own little opinion that its the story set in the future/current time period that should drive the main story in the past.

Altair was used as an introduction to the series and well as a way to find the apple.

Ezio was used to chart the rise of the order as well as locate other ancient items and give back story to the ancients / their purpose.

Connor was used to bore the "£$% out of me but also to locate the needed piece of eden as well as a solution to the earth ending, not to mention introduce the Kenway side of the family.

The current Absergo (Ubisoft) game company isnt really driving anything other than as a way to play as a pirate.

I would vote for the french revolution but only if there is no singing and Hugh Jackman gets a cameo being badass LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think that is on purpose as he certainly fits the bill in who you would cast as an assassin / pirate.

I would think that any time period would be a great setting for an AC game but the issue you have is that the more modern you get the more dated the game mechanics become.

Why use a hidden blade when a sniper rifle would do the job?

Why jump over buildings when you can drive?

There are easy solutions for all this of course,

The target may be inside and wary of being in the open.

Assassin may not be able to drive or people may be on the look out for assassins (lets be fair its got to be a pain and very dangerous to drive with your hood up)

I think in my own little opinion that its the story set in the future/current time period that should drive the main story in the past.

Altair was used as an introduction to the series and well as a way to find the apple.

Ezio was used to chart the rise of the order as well as locate other ancient items and give back story to the ancients / their purpose.

Connor was used to bore the "£$% out of me but also to locate the needed piece of eden as well as a solution to the earth ending, not to mention introduce the Kenway side of the family.

The current Absergo (Ubisoft) game company isnt really driving anything other than as a way to play as a pirate.

I would vote for the french revolution but only if there is no singing and Hugh Jackman gets a cameo being badass LOL

How far through the game are you? I've just finished the first "present day" challange. I'm starting to see how this links with AC 3. It still throws up a heck of a lot of questions that I hope get answered at the end of the game.

I'd actually like to see a game set during the gunpowder plot. Maybe it could tie in with the death of Elizabeth I and James I taking the throne of England....

I am enjoying AC: Black Flag alot more than 3. Though that isn't hard when I was finiding inventive ways of having Conner die!!
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Played a PS4 demo version of this today at work. Not impressed. Lots of screen tears and underwhelmed by the graphics.

Controller felt really good though!