Will Nicholas Mcdonald

Comments

• HMOHMO Posts: 42,146
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I don't get all this 'Scottish/Irish/Welsh' nationalist BS, the idea someone would vote for a contestant based purely on nationality is ridiculous.

People get that perception because Leon won even though many people didn't think he was that good. Same goes for Jai McDowall in BGT 2011.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I do favour his voice, but what kind of album would he release?

P.S, you can join us on the appreciation thread. ;)

Oh I know, that's a tricky one. But it's tricky for whoever wins because it's so easy to get it wrong. Syco have proved that several times in the past, with their general lack of imagination. That's where his youth could count against him.

But, *if* he gets through to the lives, which I hope he does, it will be interesting to see how he progresses, and whether he can change it up. We'll get an idea than, I guess, and that could either be the making or the undoing of him.

One of the things I really like about him already though is that he has surprised me twice already. In his first audition I thought he was good, but doing You Raise Me Up really didn't do him any favours.

At the Arena audition he managed to deliver a song (that I didn't particularly like originally) and give it a real tenderness far beyond his age. Now I can't stop singing the bloody thing.

Then, at the boot camp stage, he really let rip with *another* song I'm not overly keen on. And it gave me goosebumps. It was a completely different kind of performance from the previous one. Most importantly it was convincing.

So yeah, I've rambled a bit, but I really rate him, and hope that he just hasn't entered the competition a year or two early, because he's only going to get better and better.
    Forum Member
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Oh I know, that's a tricky one. But it's tricky for whoever wins because it's so easy to get it wrong. Syco have proved that several times in the past, with their general lack of imagination. That's where his youth could count against him.

But, *if* he gets through to the lives, which I hope he does, it will be interesting to see how he progresses, and whether he can change it up. We'll get an idea than, I guess, and that could either be the making or the undoing of him.

One of the things I really like about him already though is that he has surprised me twice already. In his first audition I thought he was good, but doing You Raise Me Up really didn't do him any favours.

At the Arena audition he managed to deliver a song (that I didn't particularly like originally) and give it a real tenderness far beyond his age. Now I can't stop singing the bloody thing.

Then, at the boot camp stage, he really let rip with *another* song I'm not overly keen on. And it gave me goosebumps. It was a completely different kind of performance from the previous one. Most importantly it was convincing.

So yeah, I've rambled a bit, but I really rate him, and hope that he just hasn't entered the competition a year or two early, because he's only going to get better and better.

I suppose we'll have to wait a fair bit until we find out what he is best at. Could be the soul genre, the jazz genre, pop, rock, whatever. We obviously haven't heard enough yet, but vocally there's nothing really to fault yet.

Whenever a young male comes along, 'next Leon Jackson' always comes about. But, Nicholas despite being younger, already seems a lot more confident.
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    You still annoyed about Ale...what was his name again???? ;)

His name is Alejandro and yes, I'm still annoyed
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    monrose wrote: »
    His name is Alejandro and yes, I'm still annoyed

Oh he was the pretty boy with the average voice? M'eh, had forgotten about him already. Anyway, was it not LOUIE that dumped him? Not as if it was Nicholas fault that he was last singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the nationalist voting thing is just nonsense. It's equally applicable to cities (ie Liverpool) and can just as much count against them.

Besides, Scotland has a population of 5 million versus 60 plus million for the UK as a whole. If there's a slight bump in voting from home-area pride, it might get a contestant through an extra week, but they're not going to win an entire series off the back of it.

I imagine Leon's doughy eyes, a fairly unlikeable co-finalist, and a generally poor field of fellow contestants helped him win as much as anything else.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    People get that perception because Leon won even though many people didn't think he was that good. Same goes for Jai McDowall in BGT 2011.

I dunno, I thought Jai was good. Know what you mean about Leon though (but he was good sometimes).
    Same thing you mentioned happened with Eoghan topping the votes for 6 weeks etc :eek::confused:
    But why dont we get threads about English people voting for an act because they're English? It doesnt seem to happen.
    Although there does seem to be 'everyone in Liverpool/Newcastle/South Shields/Birmingham should back me' sort of thing, or where-ever the contestant is from :confused:
    Forum Member
    The clichés are really coming through this year, in every way. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno, I thought Jai was good. Know what you mean about Leon though (but he was good sometimes).
    Same thing you mentioned happened with Eoghan topping the votes for 6 weeks etc :eek::confused:
    But why dont we get threads about English people voting for an act because they're English? It doesnt seem to happen.
    Although there does seem to be 'everyone in Liverpool/Newcastle/South Shields/Birmingham should back me' sort of thing, or where-ever the contestant is from :confused:

I honestly think when people talk about regionalist voting it's just a stick to beat against a contestant they don't like. They think the people voting for them are 'wrong' so there can only be one explanation to their mind, people voting on nationality. It's nonsense as far as I'm concerned.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regional voting is no longer as big in Scotland.

It may have only 5 million population but it's very multi cultural now and there are a lot of non scots live in Scotland as well.

However Nicholas and his heart attack when 8 story will get a lot of votes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll do a Ella and go in Week 6 - no one expects him too he'll be up against the other favourite Tamara IMO
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I think the girls, and Sam from the overs are much more better then him, but Scotland will vote for him whatever, he is another Leon Jackson.

We are not all Sheep please don't generalise.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So after tonight people think he'll still win?
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    You still annoyed about Ale...what was his name again???? ;)

Alejandro? ;) Not that difficult - you were halfway there.

And Nick is so ordinary - can't believe Louis chose him over Paul! That JH performance was REALLY pitchy.
  • RacheletteRachelette Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm almost certain Tamera will win, to the point where I said to my hubby tonight that if I were a betting woman I'd go put a fiver on her, although I'd far rather see Nicholas win!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's unbelievably ordinary. If he was in a boyband, he would be regarded as the least interesting member,....if that's Syco's version of an international superstar, God help us.
  • abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So after tonight people think he'll still win?

Yep even more so
  • cherricherri Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I think he has a great voice and I think he's been good all the way through but I just can't see him as a pop star. He's got no charisma at all and is a bit like an old man cut down. (By the way I'm Scottish, so we won't all be voting for him xTonix)
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is bland safe not very interesting so will do well.

I am sure Louis has the west life/boy zone back catalogue ready
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully Nicholas gets further than last years' Scottish contestant Melanie McCabe, who got eliminated at the second week of the live shows.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vash1221 wrote: »
    Hopefully Nicholas gets further than last years' Scottish contestant Melanie McCabe, who got eliminated at the second week of the live shows.

Melanie Masson in fact.....Melanie McCabe is this year's girl from Dublin :)
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh he was the pretty boy with the average voice? M'eh, had forgotten about him already. Anyway, was it not LOUIE that dumped him? Not as if it was Nicholas fault that he was last singing.

His voice was more than average. I think his vocals were wicked awesome
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I don't get all this 'Scottish/Irish/Welsh' nationalist BS, the idea someone would vote for a contestant based purely on nationality is ridiculous.

Exactly. I'm Scottish and didn't want Leon to win.

So how come when some crap English person wins we don't get this excuse trotted out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Melanie Masson in fact.....Melanie McCabe is this year's girl from Dublin :)

LOL oops...am a bit scatter-brained tonight :confused:

Sorry :D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    Exactly. I'm Scottish and didn't want Leon to win.

So how come when some crap English person wins we don't get this excuse trotted out?

Exactly :D
    To use the example, I'm English and wanted Rhydian to win, not Same Difference who were English :D