When did you stop believing in Father Christmas?

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
And how did you discover the truth?

I think I was 8 when I realised there was no jolly old St Nick. I'm not sure what prompted it exactly, I guess it was hearing it from all my classmates.

Comments

• topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    what are you talking about. Of course there is a father christmas!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in my first year in infants - called reception at the time, dunno if its still called that now - a bunch of kids went around the whole class informing us all that santa wasnt real. ruined my xmas....
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    topcat2 wrote: »
    what are you talking about. Of course there is a father christmas!!

Someone had to say it. :D
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably about 9 or 10, I can't really remember, it was probably just a gradual realisation rahter than a shock discovery.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I just gradually realised by the time I was 9 or 10.

I remember when I was 6 or 7 in the early hours of Christmas morning, going into my parent's bedroom and telling them that I could hear Santa Claus downstairs. I couldn't understand why my parents looked alarmed. :p

Luckily there wasn't anyone downstairs, it was just the imagination of a small child.
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I read this thread!! Thanks a lot, you've just ruined Christmas!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think I was 8 when I realised there was no jolly old St Nick. I'm not sure what prompted it exactly, I guess it was hearing it from all my classmates.

La la la la liar liar pants on fire la la la not listening la la la la la la la la.
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Someone had to say it. :D

Just because you don't get any presents doesn't mean he doesn't exist. You are clearly too naughty :o:o
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    As a mum..I kept Father Christmas going all through Primary school ..when the kids said there is n such thing its you "Ben" or whoever told me..I would say well if you dont beleive you wont get anything..most of their friends mums did the same so we didnt make them look daft..but I was really peed off when a teaching assistant at primary school told my middle son when he was 8/9 that there wasnt a father christmas it was your mum and dad..I thought that was out of order and not her place to choose when my sn was told that..listening to other kids say it is one thing..but an adult (and one you trust at that) telling you he doesnt exist makes it true..have never forgiven her for that..

My two eldest are 14 and 16 now but we also have a 3 year old..s christmas has been magic again for us all with a little one around..
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What Truth. :(
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aged 35.

It was a great let down to learn I'd been told lies all those years.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I never believed he was anything but a story.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not stopped believing yet.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um.... can't remember how old I was. Just woke up to find my dad reaching up to the top of my wardrobe to get my brother's new tv down :p

The excuse was, "dad was helping father christmas" and I said, "but I thought he was magic?" :D

I stopped believing after that. No huge loss though tbh lol.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Father Christmas is real :confused:
  • SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it was the time I came wandering out of "Santa's" Grotto with my underpants round my ankles.

I knew something was amiss then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    many many years ago when I heard my mum one christmas eve swearing because the bar her clothes were hanging from in her wardrobe broke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 7 and it is one of my most vivid memories as a child.

I had a cousin that was 3 years younger than me so when she went to bed my aunt and mum started wrapping her presents from santa right in front of me, I was completely devistated!! I am 35 now and I still remember how I felt. :cry:

Hopefully my children will believe for a long time yet, we try our best to keep the magic alive for them. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother told me when I was very young, I wasn't having any of it though, Ofcourse Father Christams was real!!!

I think when I was about 8 I knew the truth but I still went along with the lie because Christmas was more fun if I did, it still is. :) My son is 9 and doesn't believe anymore but I refuse to tell him the truth, I've told him he can think what he likes but I know he's real!:D

I 've just read that back and can see why I'm such an embaressment to him, poor kid. :o
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never got the chance to believe, when I was about 5 and old enough to understand what Father Christmas was one or other of my older brothers told me there was no such thing and it was mam and dad who bought/gave us our presents.

My mother denied that story for years on grounds that she never told them to tell me there was no such person as Father Christmas

Yeah like that was going to stop an 8 to 12 year old* boy telling his baby sister

(*I can't remember which one told me)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    When I was 6 - 7 when my father told me to grow up
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember ever believing.

I visited a friend today and she was recounting her Christmas day with her grandchildren, it involved tales of the big guy. I sat and smiled my way through the conversation whilst thinking there is no such person as FC. I did however feel a bitch for my thoughts and have come to the conclusion that I could be emotionally detached from reality. I think I blame my parents for not giving me a childhood full of fairies, elves and all things fuzzingly warm.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I think I was about 8. Kids at school had told me but I still believed. As my birthday is 10 days before Christmas I always used to look for my presents. This year I found one, a game for my Atari, Horror Zombies From The Crypt. I didn't get it for my birthday, but I did get it for Christmas, and on the label, it said 'From Father Christmas'. I then realised it was also written in my Dad's handwriting! I was upset for like 10 mins then forgot about it.

My folks still write 'From Father Christmas' on most of their Xmas presents to me now. I am 28 :D
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I woke up one Christmas Eve when I was about 7 and saw someone bumbling about at the bottom of my bed and said is that you dad and he said Bloody hell fire.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't remember at all, either something happend so traumatic i blanked it out or it really wasn't that much of a big deal