Not saying thankyou for presents sent - particularly children

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I never have written thank you letters - even as a kid. My parents never forced me to do that.

What I did, and still do, is to ensure that whenever I've opened my gift I say thank you at that point. Most of the time I never got gifts by post, they were always opened with family & friends there.

I really don't see the point in writing a thank you letter!
    Thank you letters were more common when letters were the main method of communicating with other people if you couldn't do it in person. Even when I was a child, not everyone had a phone at home - I can remember neighbours coming in to use ours, which had the old dial front on it. Mobile phones were unheard of, as were home computers. Today, people have e-mail, text, Skype, social networking sites, messenger services. mobile phones as well as landlines. Many people make far fewer calls from home than they used to, as there are so many other options available. Letters are less necessary than they were, but to me a thank you is just as important as it always was, perhaps even more so as people are more likely to have family & friends living a long distance away from them. As long as you show your appreciation one way or another, that's what matters. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I used to love getting books as a child, so much so that I probably got more presents from people because everyone knew I loved to read. I started reading at a very young age & our Sundays would find Mum & Dad reading their papers, with my younger brother & I reading books before we went on to newspapers. Even now, it's hard to beat a day with my feet up, a good book in one hand & a glass of wine in the other, & it's really annoying if someone rings just as you've got engrossed in a particular bit of the storyline. :D

I was the same, I could read before I started school and the school didn't like it :(
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I never have written thank you letters - even as a kid. My parents never forced me to do that.

What I did, and still do, is to ensure that whenever I've opened my gift I say thank you at that point. Most of the time I never got gifts by post, they were always opened with family & friends there.

I really don't see the point in writing a thank you letter!
    If you open the gift in front of the giver then an enthusiastic 'thank you' is enough - but although you say 'Most of the time family and friends were there' most does not equate to all. How did you thank those who were not present at the gift opening?
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here. The Book People website is brilliant for cheap books - they do box sets too, & it's really nice to give a child the complete set of a particular author. My nephew & my godchildren have had loads of books from me over the years, & they all love reading.

For my 21st Birthday my godfather bought me the complete and unabridged, leather bound works of Shakespeare.

I almost wept with joy and yes I did say thank you!

Perhaps I have strayed OT and books as gifts is another thread altogether.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    For my 21st Birthday my godfather bought me the complete and unabridged, leather bound works of Shakespeare.

That's a great thing to get as a pressie, I would have loved it too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't give a thankyou if someone sent me children as a Christmas present. I can't stand the little bleepers.:cool:
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't give a thankyou if someone sent me children as a Christmas present. I can't stand the little bleepers.:cool:

Even if they were really good at hoovering?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the same, I could read before I started school and the school didn't like it :(

I was the best reader in my class at primary school. :D No doubt because my mum took me to libraries since I was a toddler and read to me in bed from pretty much the very beginning, and I was quickly reading along with her. I could also write my name and count to fifty before school.

I love getting books as presents. I got a couple this Christmas for myself, mainly because I can't afford to buy books nearly as often as I'd like so Christmas was a good excuse for a treat. Have been too ill to read them yet, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it appauling when people don't say thankyou for a gift. Even a phone call or text message would suffice.
    It is equally rude that people don't answer an invitation but still turn up at the occasion they were invited to.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »

Actually, rather than being off topic, I'm wondering if the kids who don't say thank you are kids who don't read.

Maybe there's a link here?

The three children who prompted me to start this thread don't like to read. I gave them books when they were a lot younger, but it was obvious they weren't interested.

And I wasn't there with them at present opening time which is why I would have liked a quick text saying thank you for the present.
    [Presents which I got because I asked their parents -my cousins- what their children would like for Christmas to ensure I get them what they want.]