Nick Grimshaw does my head in!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icanboogie wrote: »
    as a gay male they will try and shoe horn him into every thing they can ala graham norton and john barrowman.

Remember Graham was on everything before they found a format that worked for him.

Be prepared for Nik Grimshaw to become BBC's Mr Saturday Night!

I must admit, he is a smug looking idiot though.

They wouldn't allow that ugly mug on prime time TV, would they? :eek:

He's the very definition of 'face for radio', all his features are decidedly odd, like they're on upside down or summat and his gob could rival Denise Welch for its obscene gapingness.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,490
    Forum Member
    I want Nick Grimshaw as a best friend.

I'm in the (tiny) minority that think he's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want Nick Grimshaw has a best friend.

I'm in the (tiny) minority that think he's great.

I like him too. In fact now Moyles has departed I have returned to listening to Radio 1 Breakfast Show again. Nick has a great mix of music and guests. David Attenborough being my all time favourite.

I also can't see what problem people have with who he is friends with. He's been friends with many of them for several years so seems like a loyal friend to me.
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Whenever I see Nick Grimshaw I'm always reminded of this parody song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Zm6C6oXEw
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He might not drink. He did look very scruffy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Him and his cronies look like the type of people who can't cope with spending a night in alone.They have to be out being "cool" ,probably have a nervous breakdown if they phone stopped beeping for five minutes at time!
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    Is it only me who finds him completely and utterly insufferable? He so far up his own behind I'm surprised he knows what day of the week it is.

Does he have any ordinary friends? And by ordinary I mean non celebrities. People who do normal jobs? He just loves parading him famous "buddies" about doesn't he?
    Der....you could say this about most celebs! I would think that being famous panders to an inflated ego. It's all about status so why would a celeb be buddies with people who are not famous?
    Of course there are the rare exceptions, Bill Murray (the famous actor) being one - kudos to him, huh!?
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the md 90's Radio 1 used to be a family station. Parents listened and so did their kids, there was something for everyone. It was a bit like Heart but with more variety in the playlist :D Nowadays if your over 25 the station deems you ancient.

R1's loss are is some other stations gain.

Didn't they refuse to put Robbie Williams' song Candy on their playlist, even though it got to Number 1, because Robbie it too old? IIRC Nick Grimshaw said that Robbie was no longer relevant. Charming. It's a shame Radio 1 have gone this way.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Didn't they refuse to put Robbie Williams' song Candy on their playlist, even though it got to Number 1, because Robbie it too old? IIRC Nick Grimshaw said that Robbie was no longer relevant. Charming. It's a shame Radio 1 have gone this way.

I'm not sure if it was the whole of R1, but Grimshaw definitely refused to play it because he thinks that Robbie is no longer relevant. It's no wonder that there are so few artists enjoying long term careers these days when stations like R1 are refusing to play anyone who's been around longer than about two years.

The fact that Candy still got to #1 without their full support just proves how out of touch R1 has become. There are so many songs that become huge top ten hits that Radio 1 never touch, but commercial stations play them ad nauseum. Another example is "Drive By" by Train. Never off Heart etc, I don't think I heard it on R1 once.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it was the whole of R1, but Grimshaw definitely refused to play it because he thinks that Robbie is no longer relevant. It's no wonder that there are so few artists enjoying long term careers these days when stations like R1 are refusing to play anyone who's been around longer than about two years.

The fact that Candy still got to #1 without their full support just proves how out of touch R1 has become. There are so many songs that become huge top ten hits that Radio 1 never touch, but commercial stations play them ad nauseum. Another example is "Drive By" by Train. Never off Heart etc, I don't think I heard it on R1 once.

I know - I was really pleased about that! I love the song too, though as I am over 12 Radio 1 probably don't care about me! Radio 1 should provide a better mix, especially in the daytime, but most of the DJ's are far too pretentious to play anything popular
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    His gang remind me of the really "cool" kids you get at six form colleges, who think they are far better than anyone else because they wear edgy clothing, listen to cool indie bands and do "hilarious" zany things.

I think that's the demographic they are trying to engage. Anyone beyond that age or mindset is going to find it irritating as hell by default.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Him and his cronies look like the type of people who can't cope with spending a night in alone.They have to be out being "cool" ,probably have a nervous breakdown if they phone stopped beeping for five minutes at time!

Some people are just extrovert.
    amyawake wrote: »
    Der....you could say this about most celebs! I would think that being famous panders to an inflated ego. It's all about status so why would a celeb be buddies with people who are not famous?
    Of course there are the rare exceptions, Bill Murray (the famous actor) being one - kudos to him, huh!?

People who value celebrity status are always going to annoy those who don't care, and vice versa.
  • kimberleycatkimberleycat Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick said on yesterday's show that when he met Robbie he explained to him that what he actually said was not what had been printed. Although Robbie said himself he shouldn't be on radio1 nowadays.

Also people have said Nick is a lovely blokedand has no ego.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    Maybe he and his chums should be called "Clique-R-Us" :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misspolly wrote: »
    I like him too. In fact now Moyles has departed I have returned to listening to Radio 1 Breakfast Show again. Nick has a great mix of music and guests. David Attenborough being my all time favourite.

I also can't see what problem people have with who he is friends with. He's been friends with many of them for several years so seems like a loyal friend to me.

When Moyles was on he got just as many people slagging him off on here. I didn't think I'd like Nick but I do, although when I saw him on the Brits I realised I'd pictured him as a different person. I don't really care what he looks like, though.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Jeremy Kyle has that "honour" surely

I got slated for saying i had no sympathy for him when he was ill, as for Grimshaw i could happily punch his smug face.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will in end in tears a bit like arsene wenger LOL.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,944
    Forum Member
    He sounds like Keith Lemon
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »

I don't understand that. I'm not a fan of Robbie Williams or his music, but if his single got to number 1 in the charts then why isn't he relevant?
    Is Nick Grimshaw the self-appointed judge of what is cool or something?

Sounds more like Radio 1 aren't relevant if they don't play an act whose music has got to the top of the charts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at him in the photos linked to in this thread, he seems to think that he's a really funny guy doesn't he?

In one of them he even does that 'rabbit ears' with his fingers thing behind somebody's head as the photo is taken.
    "I'm so wacky, zany, madcap and irreverent I am".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick said on yesterday's show that when he met Robbie he explained to him that what he actually said was not what had been printed. Although Robbie said himself he shouldn't be on radio1 nowadays.

Also people have said Nick is a lovely blokedand has no ego.

The photos suggest otherwise.
    He appears to be a walking definition of over-sized ego.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    They get rid of one arse doing the breakfast show, then employ another one. What is it with the BBC that they have to employ unattractive narcissists for Radio 1?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I saw some pictures of him with Emma Watson in some context recently, didn't I?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

Nick Grimshaw doesn't get to choose what's played on his show and he did play Candy (go back and check the song lists if you want). He's also commented several times on the 'made up feud' between him and Robbie and how once again the papers had taken his words out of context (they've done it again today by reporting he blames Harry Styles for being a 'bad influence' on him, when actually it was a Showquizness question and not in any way serious). The made up crap that gets turned into 'fact' about Nick Grimshaw is ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    The photos suggest otherwise.
    He appears to be a walking definition of over-sized ego.

Actually the person you're replying to is right - in so far as we know from people who ACTUALLY know Nick Grimshaw, as opposed to tabloid hack jobs and People On The Internet. Matt Fincham (his producer) has commented twice on his lack of ego, the first time they'd just moved studio and Nick jokingly asked if he'd wrangled it by saying Nick was demanding they changed. To paraphrase Matt, that wouldn't work because "everyone knows you're not like that, you're a nice guy". Add that to all the Call or Deletes when Nick tries to get celebrities to say getting the Breakfast Show's 'changed him' and turned him into a diva and so far not a single person has believed them. In fact they usually protest quite strongly that he wouldn't act that way (I particularly liked Caroline Flack's "Grimmy woudn't do that, he's everyone's friend" to Olly Murs). I have yet to hear anything bad about the man from the people who know him and spend time with him (of which there are a lot - perhaps because he's fun and a good friend? Just a crazy thought!)