Options

Kitchen white goods?

Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
Forum Member
Ours is,

Fridge: Beko, it's big enough for the two of us - the old and bigger Bosch which we have had for ages got ill and died a year or so ago. :(

Washer: Hotpoint Aquarius 1200 which we've had a long time.

Dryer: Zanussi, we've had it for ever, it was white at one time but is now yellowing with age but still keeps working and doing its job. :eek:

Cooker: Newhome ES550 in white, isn't used much now adays as there is only Dad and me, and the oven is only used when I cook the piece of beef for Sunday dinner.

Microwave: Sharp

Toaster: Russel Hobbs two slicer.

An Elgento little oven, which is brilliant at cooking pizza's for Saturday lunch/dinner if the ironing hasn't taken to long.

And a Phillips GC 148 dry iron, and I love it. :)

Oh and a Sebo X1.1 hoover.

Comments

• Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dishwasher - Bosch - 14 years old

Washing Machine - Bosch - 11 years old, 2 repairs, wll replace when next breaks down

Large fridge freezer - Hotpoint.

small freezer - Electrolux

gas cooker - Cannon

microwave - sharp
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung fridge freezer
    Bosch dishwasher
    Miele washing machine (in it's 13th year now, no repairs)
    Dualit classic chrome two slice toaster (in it's 15th year now, no repairs)
    Belling gas cooker
    Panasonic microwave
    Tassimo coffee machine
    Dyson DC08 cylinder vac

I love that some of my appliances are ancient (in electrical goods terms). It means it was well worth spending the extra.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Fridge - Bosch
    Dishwasher - Hotpoint
    Washer-Dryer - Hotpoint

All 5 years old, and the Washer-Dryer completely died on me this week, mid-wash. Tripped the main RCD for the house and does as soon as the door is closed and locks. And it's got rust spots on it. Rubbish quality to die after just 5 years. I suppose that's what you get for buying "Made in Britain".

My SIL is recommending an "ISE" washing machine. They're Swedish made, and are much higher quality, apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Fridge - Bosch
    Dishwasher - Hotpoint
    Washer-Dryer - Hotpoint

All 5 years old, and the Washer-Dryer completely died on me this week, mid-wash. Tripped the main RCD for the house and does as soon as the door is closed and locks. And it's got rust spots on it. Rubbish quality to die after just 5 years. I suppose that's what you get for buying "Made in Britain".

My SIL is recommending an "ISE" washing machine. They're Swedish made, and are much higher quality, apparently.

I recommend a Miele washing machine. German and should last 20 years.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I don't know what make it is, but my parents have had the same tumble dryer for what must be about 40+ years now, as they got it as a belated wedding gift. It still works just fine as long as you lean something against the door to stop it popping open.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly Kuppersbusch. Excepting the ovens which are Siemens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I recommend a Miele washing machine. German and should last 20 years.

Yeah, I hear they're pretty good. The ISE machines apparently come with a basic 10 year parts & labour guarantee, which you can extend to 20 years by registering the purchase.
    The cheaper makes have an average lifespan of 5-7 years according to some studies.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The washer and dryer are both Maytag.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fridge - Bosch
    Dishwasher - Hotpoint
    Washer-Dryer - Hotpoint

They're not though, they're made in China and have been for the last eight years or so. Hotpoint were bought out by Indesit and moved their production over there.

The ISE's are reccomended over and above Miele. They're a British based company though you're correct that they are made in Sweden. Miele's after service is a bit of a joke nowadays I'm afraid. Most independants no longer reccomend them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I hear they're pretty good. The ISE machines apparently come with a basic 10 year parts & labour guarantee, which you can extend to 20 years by registering the purchase.
    The cheaper makes have an average lifespan of 5-7 years according to some studies.

5-7 years if you're lucky! I've never heard of ISE but having had a Miele I would absolutely buy another one when this one goes. I paid £500 for it in 2000 which seemed like a lot of money but considering how long I've had it, it wasn't much at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not though, they're made in China and have been for the last eight years or so. Hotpoint were bought out by Indesit and moved their production over there.

The ISE's are reccomended over and above Miele. They're a British based company though you're correct that they are made in Sweden. Miele's after service is a bit of a joke nowadays I'm afraid. Most independants no longer reccomend them.

Who recommends ISE over Miele?

I've no complaints with Miele after service as I've never had to call them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not true. (bib).
    You get a Ten year parts and labour guarantee and that's it. There is no facility to extend this that I'm aware of.
    Having said that, ISE's statement of intent is that their parts markup will be minimal in order to provide cheaper servicing and repairs once the gurantee has expired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who recommends ISE over Miele?

I've no complaints with Miele after service as I've never had to call them out.

Most of the independant traders who know what they doing. ;)

Bib.. then you have no experience of them so not really in a position to judge?
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mother-in-laws is full of Smeg :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the independant traders who know what they doing. ;)

Bib.. then you have no experience of them so not really in a position to judge?

That's because nothing has ever gone wrong with my Miele washing machine, that's why I've never had to call them out :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't realise ISE were British, but you are right - it seems it was formed by independent service engineers (and indeed, stands for "Independent Service Engineering":

http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/index.php/aboutise/ise-history

As for Hotpoint, I thought they did manufacture stuff in the UK - there's an Indesit/Hotpoint factory up the road from me in Yate. No idea what they do there, though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because nothing has ever gone wrong with my Miele washing machine, that's why I've never had to call them out :rolleyes:

So therefore you still have no basis on which to judge them?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise ISE were British, but you are right - it seems it was formed by independent service engineers (and indeed, stands for "Independent Service Engineering":

http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/index.php/aboutise/ise-history

As for Hotpoint, I thought they did manufacture stuff in the UK - there's an Indesit/Hotpoint factory up the road from me in Yate. No idea what they do there, though!

None of their whitegoods are made here now unfortunately :(
    It's all cheap and nasty Chinese made rubbish... hence the proclivity for exploding washers
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fridge Freezer, Indisit, about 9 months old

Cooker Flavel, 5 years old, not used that often, got a slight problem with safety valve, in that it don't shut of the gas when the lid is closed, but not a big problem.

Washing machine Hotpoint Aqualtis 1600 or something like that, about 3 years old.

That is it for white goods, which means the larger units.

but

Toaster, Morphy Richards, 10 years old, more or less.

Induction hob Kenwood, about 4 years old.

Halogen oven, bake and crisp, not 12 months old yet

Espresso machine, Gaggia Classic Espresso, about 7 months old,

Dolce Gusto capsule coffee machine, Must be over 2 years old now.

Tassimo capsule drinks machine, got it late last year.

Kettle Sainsburys own make, about 4 years old.

Bread maker, Morphy richards, must be 8 years old.

Electrolux Vac cleaner. must be 12 years old.

Iron is? um, i can't remember, I have not used it for years.

so why are we doing this? :)
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    Sanyo microwave - 34/35 years old. Never broke down and is used daily.
    Morphy Richards Trio 3 slice toaster - about 15 years old. Works perfectly.
    ProAction washing machine - about 15 months old. Cheapest I could get but works perfectly.
    Asda smart price kettle - 18 months old. Works perfectly.
    Zanussi fridge freezer.- about 2 years old I think. Swapped with son because my Electrolux had a larger freezer and was frost free and he needed more freezer space. Preferred my Electrolux which was about 5 years old at the time.
    Russell Hobbs vacuum - About 15 months old. Really good vacuum.
    Moffat cooker - came with flat which is rented. Don't like it as grill and oven are in the same compartment so you can't use at the same time, just one or the other.
    Steamworks iron - 18 months old. Cheap but works perfectly.
    Panasonic bread maker - about 3 months old. Fantastic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    My Mother-in-laws is full of Smeg :o

You what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So therefore you still have no basis on which to judge them?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:

I'm not judging them, all I have ever said is that I have never had any need to call them out because my machine has never broken. I don't know how that can be interpreted as judging them?
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Washing machine - Bosch (just over 4 years old)
    Cooker - Belling (8 years old)
    Fridge-freezer and tumble drier - both Servis (10 years old, fell off the back of a lorry but landed wonderfully!)
    Kettle - Breville Spectra
    Microwave - Panasonic (came from my aunt's house, not sure hwo old)
    Vacuum - Dyson Animal upstairs (the 8 cyclone, not the ball one, 6 year old) and a £30 tesco cylinder downstairs.
    Iron - Bosch (a super duper 120gm steam one, my favourite christmas present!)
    Soda stream (for christmas 3 years ago as I'd always wanted one).

No toaster or coffee maker.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Washing machine - Indesit - came built in with the kitchen. Not the worst machine but not brilliant. About 4 years old.
    Cooker - Siemens hob and oven
    Fridge-freezer - Bosch, about 2 years old.
    Kettle - Prestige, About a year old and getting knackered because of London's rubbish tapwater. Normally need to replace after about 18 months - 2 years.
    Microwave - Sainsbury's own. 2 years old
    Toaster - M&S own. About 2 years old.
    Coffee Maker - Magimix M500 Nespresso machine.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You what?

Smeg appliances. A rather unfortunate name I think.