Options

Hdmi

Hi

I'd appreciate some advise for my father in law. Does anyone know of any compatability problems re HDMI? He has a SKY HD connected to Beosytem 3 connected to Samsung 55" LED TV, not sure of model number but a few years old, one of the first with the really thin bezel.

Anyway last weekend he lost picture and sound, TV has been taken away for repair even though I connected Skybox directly to TV and worked fine. He was saying though that HDMI changed at some point so that some (older?) equipment doesn't work properly. I know that there are different versions of HDMI giving more bandwidth, features etc...depending on what equipment you have, but I thought that no matter what equipment you have or what HDMI cables you use you should AT LEAST have full sound and a full HD picture. He seems to think the problem arises from how devices sort of 'shake hands' with each other to be recognised if that makes sense. Seems convinced he needs to update the Beosystem, or buy entirely new stuff. Personally I think the B&O is overly complicated, not friendly with other brands and for what he has connected the amount of wires on it defies belief.

Hope that I have explained OK, any advise is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit confused. As you say, there is nothing wrong with the TV if the Sky box works when corrected correctly, so it seems to be the Beosystem 3 or a cable at fault.
  • Options
    JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I to think it is either the B&O or a cable caused the problem last weekend.

I'd still like to hear what peoples opinions on this HDMI compatability thing as it just does not sound right to me IMO.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDBaby wrote: »
    Hi

I'd appreciate some advise for my father in law. Does anyone know of any compatability problems re HDMI? He has a SKY HD connected to Beosytem 3 connected to Samsung 55" LED TV, not sure of model number but a few years old, one of the first with the really thin bezel.

Anyway last weekend he lost picture and sound, TV has been taken away for repair even though I connected Skybox directly to TV and worked fine. He was saying though that HDMI changed at some point so that some (older?) equipment doesn't work properly. I know that there are different versions of HDMI giving more bandwidth, features etc...depending on what equipment you have, but I thought that no matter what equipment you have or what HDMI cables you use you should AT LEAST have full sound and a full HD picture. He seems to think the problem arises from how devices sort of 'shake hands' with each other to be recognised if that makes sense. Seems convinced he needs to update the Beosystem, or buy entirely new stuff. Personally I think the B&O is overly complicated, not friendly with other brands and for what he has connected the amount of wires on it defies belief.

Hope that I have explained OK, any advise is appreciated.
    There are indeed various flavours of HDMI. However it is extremely unlikely that anything has changed with his equipment as a result of any introduction of new versions of HDMI.

The new versions don't just magically appear on bits of kit. In many cases it would actually require hardware changes to implement the newer features such as Audio Return Channel and Ethernet over HDMI. Plus any kit that supports newer flavours of HDMI is fully backwards compatible with older kit that only supports an earlier version.

So it is about as likely that a change in any HDMI spec has caused his problem as it is that you can win the lottery jackpot without buying a ticket. Far more likely is an equipment fault. Either a broken HDMI lead or the Beosystem 3. I would say it is actually very unlikely the TV is at fault so it was probably a waste of time sending it off for repair!

It would not surprise me in the least that whatever TV you plugged the Beosystem into it would produce no sound or picture. Which likely means when his TV comes back it still won't work because the wrong bit of kit has been declared faulty! It should have been obvious when you plugged the Sky box directly into it and it worked that the TV was OK so I am a total loss as to why he thought it was faulty?
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    JDBaby wrote: »
    Thanks. I to think it is either the B&O or a cable caused the problem last weekend.

I'd still like to hear what peoples opinions on this HDMI compatability thing as it just does not sound right to me IMO.

You can occasionally get handshake issues with HDMI, normally switching off one, both or all connected devices corrects the problem.

If you have connection problems right from the start then that could indicate that there is a compatibility problem, but as all your equipment has worked in the past it sounds like a handshake issue to me.
  • Options
    JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    You can occasionally get handshake issues with HDMI, normally switching off one, both or all connected devices corrects the problem.

If you have connection problems right from the start then that could indicate that there is a compatibility problem, but as all your equipment has worked in the past it sounds like a handshake issue to me.

Thanks. i think you are right. Any system will have occasional glitches from time to time, the tried and tested switch off/switch on should resolve it.

Trying to explain this to him will be another matter though. If something does not do what he wants first time, first thing he says is "it's broke".
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are two different issues.

If a system was working and then it wasn't, that's a fault. (assuming it wasn't changed in any way). The problem would be to find which device is faulty.

The issue of HDMI compatibility is a separate thing, not relevant here. That's assuming the system was working and then it wasn't.