Options

Alternative to a computer

I'd appreciate some advise please.

I only really use my PC for for storing and sharing (Facebook) my photos taken on a DSLR camera. I have a WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive as backup and also an IPAD3. I store CD music to transfer to Android phone, but I THINK I can use XBOX ONE for that??

The PC is not very good, recently keeps crashing. Is there a way for me to store and share my pics without having to buy a new computer OR pay to repair the existing PC which I know will break down again sometime in the future?

I do know there is an SD card reader I can get for the IPAD for new photos, but my existing hard drive will not work with IPAD for pics I already have. I'd have to get a wireless one compatible with the IPAD. I suppose I could get a wireless drive, ask someone to transfer pics from drive to drive.

Anyway, apart from using the IPAD/SD CARD READER/WIRELESS HARD DRIVE combo, is there anything else I can get that will do the job of storing and sharing pics and if possible compatible with my existing external hard drive?

Sorry if I've waffled on a bit, hope I've been fairly clear.

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about a chromebook. Cheap and hardly anything to go wrong.
  • Options
    JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    how about a chromebook. Cheap and hardly anything to go wrong.

Yes, was just looking at the HP Chromebox as small and easy to connect to the TV as my PC is at the moment.

I don't think any of the Chromebooks take CDs so would have to check out what to do re CD music storage and transfer to phone, but this does look like a good idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDBaby wrote: »
    Yes, was just looking at the HP Chromebox as small and easy to connect to the TV as my PC is at the moment.

I don't think any of the Chromebooks take CDs so would have to check out what to do re CD music storage and transfer to phone, but this does look like a good idea.

Replace a computer with a Chromebook....computer? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    Replace a computer with a Chromebook....computer? :rolleyes:

Realise it is another computer, but from what little I know Chromebooks with SSD are more reliable, and not sure what other options are available to me.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wouldn't buy a chromebook, it's a just a pc that has a greatly restricted OS and isn't that cheap. if you look on ebuyer or tesco there are sub £150 laptops and desktops running windows 8.1 that will do much more. you could consider selling your old laptop or ask a friend to look at it as it could be easily fixed by reinstalling windows for example. i have computers that are years old and run fine, but over time there have been problems which have been fixed. you could also get a windows tablet, the linx7 has been available for £60 on and off for example. you can plug it into a tv or monitor and use a keyboard and mouse and it operates like a desktop or laptop, or use like your ipad which is also a computer
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above, doing any kind of file management with a tablet, especially an iPad, is a pain. The only exception to the rule would be a Windows tablet, as they are basically notebook PCs without a keyboard.

The cheapest option is to fix your PC. It's probably a simple software problem, and the worst case it you reinstall Windows which is usually automated from a recovery partition.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

External CD/DVD drive. I'm assuming the Chromebook has USB ports?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is lots that can be done for minimal or no cost.

But if the OP is unsure how to 'copy files from drive to drive', even simple solutions may just induce panic mode and bafflement.

I would try to fix the PC first. But a Factory Recovery could go wrong or not be possible and a clean install or Repair Install/In-place Upgrade from a Windows DVD might be needed.

An idea of what model PC, which version Windows is running and the nature of the crashes would be helpful,
    Windows version can be found on the License key label and is the key readable? (do not post key in Public here)

Presumably the OP knows their Wifi key since regular devices are being regularly connected.
    How about the router/hub logon details? (just in case any tinkering loses PC internet access)

What backup/restore DVDs were made (if any) when first got the PC?

I'm just trying to think belt and braces.

- -- -

Various USB SD microsSD adapters and cables are available at low cost which may be suitable for direct copying.
    (What Android phone is it?)

I don't know what Xbox One can do with its USB ports. Is it restricted in what can be connected to it?

For a working or new PC or laptop, Cloud storage might be a good way to share the Photos at least.
    Depends how many there are and how much space the total file size comes to.

Many thousands would be impractical if the ISP Internet connection is slow and capped at 10GB per month, not Unlimited.
    It could do some though.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/internet/3506734/best-cloud-storage-dropbox-google-drive-onedrive-icloud/
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could upload all of your music to a cloud based client. My entire music library is uploaded to google play music and it was free. Now I don't have to worry about keeping a physical copy on a computer.

My windows laptop is on it's deathbed and I'm not even going to attempt to use it anymore. I've been contemplating over the past few weeks what to do.

I considered getting a new laptop. Then I conisdered a MacBook as I have iPads and an iPhone, so wouldn't mind the continuity between devices.

I also considered a windows laptop as windows is what I know and what I've always used. However if I'm honest I don't need a laptop. Over the past 2 years I used my laptop less and less. I can go several months without using it. All I do is web browse, email, online banking, online shopping, stream Netflix etc. All of which I can do with my iPad. However at the same time I like the idea of having a physical keyboard if I want to do any typing (rare). I don't see the point in shelling out £500-£1,000 for something that I don't have much use for.

So I've decided that a chrome book is the way to go. I've had a chrome book in the past and I loved it. I banned my OH from using it for nearly two years and then I let him use it and after 3 weeks he managed to break the screen>:( He is also very messy. On the rare occasion that I used the laptop I'd find the screen covered in food and dirt >:( And I'd have to decontaminate it before I could use it.

So I've decided a chrome book for me and either a chrome book or a HP stream for him, whichever one he would prefer. That way he can do whatever he likes to his device and I can keep mine functioning and clean:D

His usage is pretty much the same as mine so he doesn't need anything too powerful.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    External CD/DVD drive. I'm assuming the Chromebook has USB ports?

Forgot that the CD/DVD external drive might not be compatible with a Chromebook.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they support USB CD-ROM for reading data but they can't play back music or rip music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    As above, doing any kind of file management with a tablet, especially an iPad, is a pain. The only exception to the rule would be a Windows tablet, as they are basically notebook PCs without a keyboard.

The cheapest option is to fix your PC. It's probably a simple software problem, and the worst case it you reinstall Windows which is usually automated from a recovery partition.

Many thanks for all your suggestions. As it turns out I was able to fix my PC with a few hints from work IT dept.

For the future, if a Windows SSD version of something like the HP Chromebox comes out I'll get that WHEN my PC breaks down again. Seems like it will be more reliable & work with existing external hard drive so should have no memory problems. Not really that bothered about specs as only gonna be used to store and share. Of course there's no CD drive, but hopefully I'll find a workaround for my CD music. Maybe using XB1 though I know at present it doesn't do that sort of this.