Firefox 39 released

Comments

• TrueCardTrueCard Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to run as administrator to get the update to work.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    39.0.3 is out.
    A fix for a critical issue in the Firefox PDF viewer

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/07/update_firefox_to_foil_russian_filestealing_vuln_exploit/
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understnd Firefox numbering of versions.
    We had version 39 & that jumped to 39.03.
    Where are numbers .01 & .02
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrueCard wrote: »
    Had to run as administrator to get the update to work.

That shouldn't have been necessary. Must be a glitch. Mine just updated to 39.0.3 and I'm running as standard user (Win 8.1). But there was a period on Win 7 at least where I had to run as admin to apply an update, after they'd introduced the silent update policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understnd Firefox numbering of versions.
    We had version 39 & that jumped to 39.03.
    Where are numbers .01 & .02

I've long given up interpreting version numbers from software vendors. Just apply one rule. The higher the numbers or the greater the year number the later the version. :)

Maybe .01 and .02 were internal builds that never got released?
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    v40.0 is now available.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, just came through auto-update :)
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's changed from v30?

Nothing.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the Close Tab button is slightly larger. That's all I've found so far.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Is that 'Forget' button new or did I just ignore it before?
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Firefox, but then it got all weird and stuttery on youtube and then chome came along. It's hard to go back.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    I used to love Firefox, but then it got all weird and stuttery on youtube and then chome came along. It's hard to go back.

Firefox started to lose the plot as far back as version 4.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    I just wish they would sort out the addon compatibility. Mozilla tried to reassure us it wouldn't be an issue that they were changing version numbers so rapidly, but the reality is about half of my addons have been broken for a while now. :(
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    I just wish they would sort out the addon compatibility. Mozilla tried to reassure us it wouldn't be an issue that they were changing version numbers so rapidly, but the reality is about half of my addons have been broken for a while now. :(

I have add-on compatibility checking disabled, so they all work still. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've rarely had problems with add-ons since version 4 tbh. I do have the compatibility checking thing though, so maybe I'm cheating. In one or two cases an add-on has not been updated to suit but so far I've always been able to find an alternative.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I have add-on compatibility checking disabled, so they all work still. ;-)
    This doesn't seem to work for me. To clarify, the actual addons load but no longer function correctly. Even ones that are supposedly verified by Mozilla. I think it was version 34 or something that killed them.

I know in the early days you had to add a line to the about:config to trick older addons into running on an unsupported version but this appears to be a different issue.
    Forum Member
    This doesn't seem to work for me. To clarify, the actual addons load but no longer function correctly. Even ones that are supposedly verified by Mozilla. I think it was version 34 or something that killed them.

I know in the early days you had to add a line to the about:config to trick older addons into running on an unsupported version but this appears to be a different issue.

You used to be able to do it with a simple change as you say. However now each add-on has to be changed......Try THIS add-on that does the work.....
    Forum Member
    You used to be able to do it with a simple change as you say. However now each add-on has to be changed......Try THIS add-on that does the work.....
    No difference unfortunately. Like I said the addons are loaded but many just don't work correctly anymore following recent version changes. I think the authors may have abandoned them.
    Forum Member
    No difference unfortunately. Like I said the addons are loaded but many just don't work correctly anymore following recent version changes. I think the authors may have abandoned them.

Do you have a couple of examples?
    Forum Member
    Do you have a couple of examples?
    I do but sadly most of them require a website login. These were all working fine up until a few releases ago.

Yahoo Mail Notifier - Wont login
    NicoFox - Detects content but downloads never start
    Zen Broadband Usage Viewer - Wont login
    4Chan - Drop-down menu of text and imageboards doesn't display any content nor does the extra navigation menu show up on the site [nsfw]
    4ChanGrab - Doesn't detect images [nsfw]
    YouTube Tooltip - Doesn't seem to do anything
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I don't use any of those. Thought there might be something that could be compared.
    Forum Member
    I don't use many add-ons, but one I've found to generate a "compatibility" issue in v40 is the Avast Online Security add-on. It still appears to be working though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These were all working fine up until a few releases ago.

Yahoo Mail Notifier - Wont login

You could try X-Notifier as an alternative. I haven't tested it with Firefox 40 yet and I have it disabled at work (where I am now) but it's been OK in versions up to 39, though it does get updated regularly, so maybe if it didn't it would be broken by Firefox updates!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could of put this version on the Windows 10 app store, It even looks like a Windows 10 version now.