Options

Upgrading PS4 hard drive.

youngmiffmcniffyoungmiffmcniff Posts: 113
Forum Member
Im getting a PS4 later this week & before I do anything, I want to fit a larger hard drive. Can anyone recommend a good drive that works? Preferably 2TB. Is it easy enough to change & update the soft ware?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0, about £60 from Amazon.

Gently prise out the drive (youtube it) stick in PS4, take old PS4 drive, stick back in case you just extracted the 2TB one from, and you have a 500gb drive to use elsewhere.

Easy process, just takes a while to be up and running again if you have a load of stuff on your drive, but as it's a new one you should have no worries.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    This is the one I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ILALU9G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1435778006&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Seagate+Expansion+2TB+USB+3.0&dpPl=1&dpID=31Q%2B4H9PTOL&ref=plSrch

Just pop the new hard drive out it's enclosure, take the hard drive out the PS4 and switch them over. When you download the FW update, make sure the folders are in capital letters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you. They have the same one in Argos at the same price & I had a £5 voucher to spend so picked it up from there.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the same one as OMTT but picked it up from Argos. Just be aware, though, that Argos used to sell 2 or 3 very similar external Seagate drives. Make sure you've got the right model number (STBX2000401), I think that's what I went off...

There's a guide on EG about upgrading, though. Worth checking out:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I've got the same one as OMTT but picked it up from Argos. Just be aware, though, that Argos used to sell 2 or 3 very similar external Seagate drives. Make sure you've got the right model number (STBX2000401), I think that's what I went off...

There's a guide on EG about upgrading, though. Worth checking out:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

What happens if it's a different model number to what you've stated? I was going to pick one up today.

Only concern is that the warranty is void once you open the drive... Also, there's a foil thing you take off the drive inside, so how does it work if you want to use the case with a different drive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just sticky backed foil, easy to re-apply if you take it off carefully. If you're worried about warranties, buy a separate drive and housing for more cash tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    It's just sticky backed foil, easy to re-apply if you take it off carefully. If you're worried about warranties, buy a separate drive and housing for more cash tbh.

Is it? So it's pretty easy to put another drive into the case then?

Opening the case really did put me off, but drives on their own are so expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/g7qkVUbXVXc?t=331

Here's a guy opening the case, he uses a screwdriver, but if you have some prying tools (I used a plastic plectrum) you can avoid damaging the case as much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/g7qkVUbXVXc?t=331

Here's a guy opening the case, he uses a screwdriver, but if you have some prying tools (I used a plastic plectrum) you can avoid damaging the case as much.

Cheers. My main concern is that I need to use the case for my main external drive which holds precious documents, so didn't want it to be a dodgy external if I have to prise the case open...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, do any of you who have upgraded to 2TB heard any random beeping from the hard drive? Loads of reports online of this...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I first installed my one, I did get a loud beep the following day as though the console was being switched on but that was the one & only time. I've had mine installed for about 3 months now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    When I first installed my one, I did get a loud beep the following day as though the console was being switched on but that was the one & only time. I've had mine installed for about 3 months now

Was the drive the same one I'm looking at then?

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&cjsurferid=878702896855811035%3AsTG1EgvSB8IP&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674%7Cprd%3A1546795&storeId=10151&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F2489935.htm&referrer=COJUN

Was it pretty easy to get out of the case and then reuse the case as an external?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's the same one but I got my from Amazon. Really easy to get out & installed in the PS4. I'm not using the one I took out the PS4 though. That's just in a drawer with the casing for the Seagate & it's box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's the same one but I got my from Amazon. Really easy to get out & installed in the PS4. I'm not using the one I took out the PS4 though. That's just in a drawer with the casing for the Seagate & it's box.

Thanks, was there much damage to the case? Was did you use to get the drive out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No damage to the case. I just used a small flat head screwdriver & then it pulled it. There was some sticky glue stuff holding it in place & a metallic cover folded over it which peeled off. I was a bit weary doing this myself but it was very easy to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No damage to the case. I just used a small flat head screwdriver & then it pulled it. There was some sticky glue stuff holding it in place & a metallic cover folded over it which peeled off. I was a bit weary doing this myself but it was very easy to do.

Thanks for that, I'll have a think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do any of you who have upgraded to 2TB heard any random beeping from the hard drive? Loads of reports online of this...

Every so often my PS4 lets out a loud beep but it's not specifically from the hard drive. Probably happens once every play session, depending on how long I'm playing for.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

Nope never.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I finally got my PS4 yesterday and installed the new hard drive. All fine so far, no beeps or crashes. 1768GB of space to fill! I had added the PS+ games to my library of games online & bought The Last Of Us, Driveclub & Infamous when on sale so downloading them just now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought the 2TB external today. £59.99 and this was the STBX2000401 model, so hoping it all goes ok!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bought the 2TB external today. £59.99 and this was the STBX2000401 model, so hoping it all goes ok!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've had a 2TB drive in it for a couple of months, and I've never heard it beep...until an hour after you posted the above :o Never knew of the problem before then...

Did it just once (after the PS4 had been left idle for an hour or so), haven't heard it again since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulysses777 wrote: »
    I've had a 2TB drive in it for a couple of months, and I've never heard it beep...until an hour after you posted the above :o Never knew of the problem before then...

Did it just once (after the PS4 had been left idle for an hour or so), haven't heard it again since.

Probably just a coincidence. The upgrade for me went well. When it went into rest mode though, it double beeped. Probably just coincidence again though.
  • Options
    Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I am going to upgrade mine this evening. I've done all the prep work and its now a case of opening up my PS4.... Wish me luck *Gulp*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I am going to upgrade mine this evening. I've done all the prep work and its now a case of opening up my PS4.... Wish me luck *Gulp*

You don't need luck, it's easy peasy! Very straightforward job.