Options

Carla is the modern day Elsie...

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
Forum Member
✭✭
Carla is very much like the legendary Elsie Tanner.

She will be missed when she leaves.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. Alison King was beyond superb in tonight's episodes. What a fantastic actress.

The Carla and Roy scenes were excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    She is just incredible going to miss her so much when she leaves. With her talent I'm not sure she will even come back to corrie. Hope she does as Carla is a brilliant character.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the scriptwriters would like viewers to think of her as such, but she really isn't. She has absolutely none of the qualities which made Elsie Tanner sparkle - vivacity, independence, guts and a heart.

Carla's just a miserable cow who's never happy unless she has a man telling her what to do. And supporting her financially.
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I think the scriptwriters would like viewers to think of her as such, but she really isn't. She has absolutely none of the qualities which made Elsie Tanner sparkle - vivacity, independence, guts and a heart.

Carla's just a miserable cow who's never happy unless she has a man telling her what to do. And supporting her financially.

Thank you, totally spot on, nail on the head post.

Don't know why you always find this lame comparison over and over on this site. Elsie's 'fault' was that she had such a soft heart which meant that she often had her ear bent by the no good blokes but she had strong morals which wouldn't have allowed her to consider breaking up a marriage.
    She was a motherly figure and a true nurturer who put herself out for other people.

Will Carla ever match up to a character like this? Never.
    And will Carla ever act like she has a genuine sense of humour? Can't really see that either sorry.
    She goes to pieces without constant male flattery to boost her fragile ego it's true
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Kelly-x wrote: »
    She is just incredible going to miss her so much when she leaves. With her talent I'm not sure she will even come back to corrie. Hope she does as Carla is a brilliant character.

I think Alison will come back because she clearly enjoys playing Carla but I hope to see her taking on another strong role first. Some of the material she has had has been good but a lot of it has been repetitive and, well, not great. Her performances are consistently brilliant but her potential as an actress is yet to be fully exploited IMO.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Why, was Elsie a spiteful, arrogant, vindictive bitch too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

AndreaMC wrote: »
    Thank you, totally spot on, nail on the head post.

Don't know why you always find this lame comparison over and over on this site. Elsie's 'fault' was that she had such a soft heart which meant that she often had her ear bent by the no good blokes but she had strong morals which wouldn't have allowed her to consider breaking up a marriage.
    She was a motherly figure and a true nurturer who put herself out for other people.

Will Carla ever match up to a character like this? Never.
    And will Carla ever act like she has a genuine sense of humour? Can't really see that either sorry.
    She goes to pieces without constant male flattery to boost her fragile ego it's true
    srhgts wrote: »
    Why, was Elsie a spiteful, arrogant, vindictive bitch too?
    Agree totally with those posts
    Elsie was a legend. Carla is nothing but a boring, scheming, murderous spiteful bitch who'll be forgotten the day she leaves -- and hopefully doesn't ever come back. Elsie had spark and humour. Carla's a damp squib that doesn't even fizzle a bit.
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Sorry, no. Though I like Carla, she's isn't really a patch on the Corrie legend who was Elsie Tanner.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that it for Carla now, just a lame excuse of going to "Madrid"? Carla fascinates me as her face never moves, and has zero expression, its like she is an android.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Carla is nothing like Elsie.

Elsie was a very strongwilled woman with a wonderful sense of humour.

Carla is a very weakwilled woman with a sarcastic sense of humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is the modern day Ena then?
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Who is the modern day Ena then?

Leanne - a true battleaxe in the making with a sour old face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leanne - a true battleaxe in the making with a sour old face.

Not Norris?
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    Carla is nothing like Elsie.

Elsie was a very strongwilled woman with a wonderful sense of humour.

Carla is a very weakwilled woman with a sarcastic sense of humour.

That just about puts it in a nutshell for me!! I am certainly not questioning Alison King's acting ability but I just don't find the character likeable, whereas Elsie you could not only like but admire her spirit & 'never be beaten' attitude!!

Carla is one of the least 'strong' characters on the show imo, she's akways going to pieces & clearing off leaving someone else to clean up her mess!!
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I have always felt that Pat Phoenix was a wonderful actress who could have appeared on any stage in the world, and would also have made a great film actress. I think Alison King is also well suited to stage/film as well as tv. Jane Danson is also a very good actress. There are not too many actors in corrie that I would say that about. What worries me most about corrie at times are the scripts.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I find Liz bears more of a resemblance to Elsie.
    She may be missed a little - but there are at least another half a dozen characters/actors I'd miss more than Carla/Alison if they left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Alison King is one of Corries better Actresses.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Agree totally with those posts
    Elsie was a legend. Carla is nothing but a boring, scheming, murderous spiteful bitch who'll be forgotten the day she leaves -- and hopefully doesn't ever come back. Elsie had spark and humour. Carla's a damp squib that doesn't even fizzle a bit.

Who has Carla murdered?
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I like Carla and find the actress to be utterly beautiful and very capable, I don't think she's got a patch on Jane Danson. She puts so much emotion into her scenes and has brought me to tears of sympathy for the character on numerous occasions.

I love Leanne, I find her to be a very believable character in a very contrived soap.
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Whilst I like Carla and find the actress to be utterly beautiful and very capable, I don't think she's got a patch on Jane Danson. She puts so much emotion into her scenes and has brought me to tears of sympathy for the character on numerous occasions.

I love Leanne, I find her to be a very believable character in a very contrived soap.

Well said Craig, here here.
    That show would have very little to offer without Leanne's talent.
    No one else can convey emotional expression on that show who even comes close.
    No one else is so confident in displaying their human frailty and weakness like her, in a very contrived and what is now a very forgettable soap.
    She's a hidden gem.
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carla is the modern day Elsie...

Indeed she is.

The odd comment on here is laughable and a certain poster is talking out of their ****! Carla has many of Elsie's qualities, gutsy, brave, strong, vulnerable , a magnet for the wrong men, kind, loyal, enjoys a good old scrap.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As bad as the Victoria Court fire was, I'm glad Leanne was at the centre of the action, love her character. Plus she's good at cat fights which is always a bonus!

I just hate what Si is doing to her though >:(
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I prefer Carla to Elsie.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to visit Pat Phoenix's home with my then boyfriend and his father.
    She was interested in antiques and he was an antiques dealer.

Nice lady.
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jane Danson is a wonderful superb actor and one of Corrie's finest, however there is a difference in style between Danson and King and is quite obvious when you watch them both on screen.

When you watch Ali, it is though she is not acting the part and is actually the character of Carla. She is very natural and obvious at ease playing the role. This is a hard skill to master and very few actors have this quality. The only other two soap actors I can think of are David Neilson and Lindsey Coulson.

Without being unkind the skills of King stand out, because many of the actors in CS are lacking and poor in comparison. I think Alison King should do a master class. ;-)