The Chronicles of Shannara - (US Pace)

Looks quite interesting and looks like it has a serious amount of money put into it. Its a surprising move by MTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Comments

• grees_00grees_00 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I'll be watching this for sure, loved the books.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for this
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Effects look pretty good (no speakers so can't hear anything yet).
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be looking forward to this too. It will be interesting what characters from the various books will be in it. Garrett Jax perhaps?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    I will be looking forward to this too. It will be interesting what characters from the various books will be in it. Garrett Jax perhaps?

The series will be based of Elfstones of Shannara so Jax won't be in it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

They're apparently going to cover Sword in later series' (presumably if it gets renewed). I'm looking forward to this, Terry Brooks was one of the first fantasy authors I read. I did eventually give up with Shannara though as he seemed to reach a point where he was just putting out anything and giving it the Shannara tag.
    I'll have to go dig all my books out of the garage and have a re-read. I don't think I've looked at them for more than 20 years :D
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Been so excited for this for so long. I never thought it would happen as it's been dragging its heels in development for years. But it looks great.

Very excited. MTV are showing they have some chops doing this, but after Teen Wolf, I'm excited! :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely to see fantasy television being filmed back in New Zealand. Such a beautiful place. Had the pleasure of going there myself a few years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    They're apparently going to cover Sword in later series' (presumably if it gets renewed). I'm looking forward to this, Terry Brooks was one of the first fantasy authors I read. I did eventually give up with Shannara though as he seemed to reach a point where he was just putting out anything and giving it the Shannara tag.
    I'll have to go dig all my books out of the garage and have a re-read. I don't think I've looked at them for more than 20 years :D

I read an article which said the producers had originally planned to dramatize another Terry Brooks book, Magic Kingdom For Sale
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked by how many modern day things were in the trailer because, if I recall correctly, there was only really the metal graveyard from Sword that alluded to current time.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for the info! I had not read too much about the forthcoming series yet! January cannot come soon enough. I hope the series is a big hit.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    Thank you for the info! I had not read too much about the forthcoming series yet! January cannot come soon enough. I hope the series is a big hit.

I hope it's an enormous hit and one of the freeview channels buys it. ;-):)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I remember really liking the books many years ago. Not sure I can remember any of the plot now, though :blush:

Hope it does well.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article which said the producers had originally planned to dramatize another Terry Brooks book, Magic Kingdom For Sale

That could have been good. I always thought it lent itself to being filmed for TV or Cinema better than most fantasy books.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I'm shocked by how many modern day things were in the trailer because, if I recall correctly, there was only really the metal graveyard from Sword that alluded to current time.

I agree. It wasn't clear (to me) that it was the far future. It seemed pretty fantasy to me. I know it made vague mention, but I guess it doesn't matter.

What DOES matter to me is the casting and the story and I'm not sure they've got this at all right with Manu. Sure, he's tall, we get it, but he seems so far from Allanon it's untrue.

I'll still hope patiently. We'll find out in six months!
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just goes to show how little I remember from the first books that I couldn't remember any mention of it being set on Earth!. I always thought of it as a separate place from our world.....

Edit.... Just realised how many I haven't read in the series, so will have to see if the library has them.

But will say the visuals look absolutely stunning, and it certainly seems to have had real money spent on it.....

So, looking forward to this...

PS.... Hope one day they make the Landover series, it was great fun and one of my first forays into fantasy before I discovered Terry Pratchett...
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    It just goes to show how little I remember from the first books that I couldn't remember any mention of it being set on Earth!. I always thought of it as a separate place from our world.....

Me too. I must have read them at least 20 years ago and I just thought it was your basic fantasy world.

Only read the original trilogy, mind you.

I just looked and there are now 29 books :o

I might re-read the trilogy but I'm not sure about 29 of them!

I think most, if not all the books are available on kindle. There are at least 9 available on ibooks.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

In the early books there isn't any indication (as far as I can recall) that it's set on a future Earth.

Later books reveal that the world was once a lot more advanced than it currently is but I don't think it's till Brooks links the Shannara Books to the Word and Void Books (initially a separate series set in present day Earth) that it's clear all the books are set on Earth.
    Edit.... Just realised how many I haven't read in the series, so will have to see if the library has them.

Always felt that The Heritage of Shannara (4 book series that comes after the original trilogy) was the high point of the whole series* with the books getting steadily worse after that (not read the more recent ones though).

*I still think of the Word and Void books (which I remember liking more than the Shannara books) as a separate series.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    In the early books there isn't any indication (as far as I can recall) that it's set on a future Earth.

Later books reveal that the world was once a lot more advanced than it currently is but I don't think it's till Brooks links the Shannara Books to the Word and Void Books (initially a separate series set in present day Earth) that it's clear all the books are set on Earth.

Always felt that The Heritage of Shannara (4 book series that comes after the original trilogy) was the high point of the whole series* with the books getting steadily worse after that (not read the more recent ones though).

*I still think of the Word and Void books (which I remember liking more than the Shannara books) as a separate series.

Yeah, the only reference I remember was the metal graveyard, although that was enough for me to realise it was a future Earth, but it wasn't a lot to give definitive proof.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Little more than a month to go...

Meet the characters:

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-18/meet-characters-mtvs-shannara-chronicles-these-5-new-videos

High production values for sure. The writers from Smallville had been pursuing this for awhile but were never going to snare a deal with one of the main US networks after their issues with Warner Bros. So they've taken their ball and run off to cable. MTV is increasingly setting out on a different course realising the fatigue and saturation of reality TV was eroding their brand. Hopefully, like other cable networks they'll give the writers of their programmes more freedom.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the entire Shannara series a few years back. What a pleasant surprise. Really look forward to seeing this.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    According to Shawn Speakman the author's webmaster/publicist Sky have secured rights. So now it's just a question of when and on which channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Shawn Speakman the author's webmaster/publicist Sky have secured rights. So now it's just a question of when and on which channel.

Sky Atlantic would be my guess
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Sky Atlantic would be my guess

I don't know, Sky1 seems more likely to me. TSC doesn't seem "up-market" enough for Sky Atlantic. But then I always think the same thing of Blue Bloods, which is on Sky Atlantic but just doesn't fit with the other US imports on Sky Atlantic.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been ages since I've read the books but I am a fan of the series and have been following this, though news on it seemed to die off a month or 2 ago. January is set for the US?

Given that MTV have made it, why wouldn't they show it here?