Lyndon Ogbourne to leave Emmerdale

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I'm GUTTED! :(

I love him and Nathan. But I'm glad to see that the "door will be left open for him to return" :D

So he won't leave by going to prison then. Maybe Nathan, Will and Maisie will get to move away and start again :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict panto followed by oblivion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Hathan!

It makes sense though. What with Natasha and Maisie leaving, I don't know how they could have taken his character on any further.
  • AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His character could be taken further sooo easily- all the old people hang around pointlessly- or other people who's family's are gone still continue to sit at a bar in the wool pack for some reason..

but Nathan,

He's a devious, handsome bad boy and theres no telling what he would of done next- with Natasha and Maise gone (his only reasons to show his "kind" side was his family)

theres no telling how bad he would of become..

I will miss him :(
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    galentine wrote: »
    I love Hathan!

It makes sense though. What with Natasha and Maisie leaving, I don't know how they could have taken his character on any further.

When they say that, when someone is sacked, it just means the producer is bored with the character and the writers don't want to write for them anymore. It's a nonsense excuse to say the character has gone as far as it can,, seeing as some soap characters have been in a soap for over 30 years and still keep getting storylines.

So NO character has ever 'gone as far as it can' as long as the writers want to write for them and the producer still wants the character there.

So Nathan could still be there in 10 years if he hadn't decided to leave and if the producer still wanted Nathan there. It's the producers choice, nothing to do with a characters longevity.

This of course was illustrated perfectly when Corrie's Janice was sacked,with the same excuse given - gone as far as the character can. Then the producer that sacked her left and the new producer liked Janice so she got her job back!
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nathan's leaving!

[highlight]WOOHOO!!![/highlight]

The character is so flawed that I always felt he had a definite shelf life. There was a limit to how far he could go without a major personality change and then he wouldn't be the Nathan we all love to hate any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    When they say that, when someone is sacked, it just means the producer is bored with the character and the writers don't want to write for them anymore. It's a nonsense excuse to say the character has gone as far as it can,, seeing as some soap characters have been in a soap for over 30 years and still keep getting storylines.

So NO character has ever 'gone as far as it can' as long as the writers want to write for them and the producer still wants the character there.

So Nathan could still be there in 10 years if he hadn't decided to leave and if the producer still wanted Nathan there. It's the producers choice, nothing to do with a characters longevity.

This of course was illustrated perfectly when Corrie's Janice was sacked,with the same excuse given - gone as far as the character can. Then the producer that sacked her left and the new producer liked Janice so she got her job back!

I do get what you're saying.

Maybe it's just that I can't see Hathan staying on without his family... I haven't been watching ED that long, so the only storylines I've seen him in have been with the Wyldes and the Lambs. Oh, and Cain I suppose!

He just strikes me as being really different from most of the ED characters, like he wouldn't really fit in if his family weren't there too.

But then, as you say, the production team could make it work if they wanted to...
  • baisbaisbaisbais Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I absolutely agree! There is no such thing as a character which has run its course - just bad writers.

In this case it is a little weird, since Lyndon was recently broadcasting in interviews and on Twitter that he would be with Emmerdale for a long while yet. But I suppose the producers just want to make a clean sweep and get rid of the family? (Although it would be hilarious if Will hung around on his own!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    baisbais wrote: »
    I absolutely agree! There is no such thing as a character which has run its course - just bad writers.

In this case it is a little weird, since Lyndon was recently broadcasting in interviews and on Twitter that he would be with Emmerdale for a long while yet. But I suppose the producers just want to make a clean sweep and get rid of the family? (Although it would be hilarious if Will hung around on his own!)

But he has clearly quit. His own quote and the producers make that clear. There is no talk of character having no where to go. The producer says the opposite if I remember rightly?
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good, no offence to the actor but his character was just bland his was like a cartoon villain.
    Forum Member
    galentine wrote: »
    I do get what you're saying.

Maybe it's just that I can't see Hathan staying on without his family... I haven't been watching ED that long, so the only storylines I've seen him in have been with the Wyldes and the Lambs. Oh, and Cain I suppose!

He just strikes me as being really different from most of the ED characters, like he wouldn't really fit in if his family weren't there too.

But then, as you say, the production team could make it work if they wanted to...

Exactly. I was just making a general point,

And someone like Sally in Corrie is a great example of what the writers do with a character, She's been in nearly 25 years and she's had quite a few personality changes over the years, so it can be done with a character whether they're a goodie or a baddie! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I was just making a general point,

And someone like Sally in Corrie is a great example of what the writers do with a character, She's been in nearly 25 years and she's had quite a few personality changes over the years, so it can be done with a character whether they're a goodie or a baddie! :)

Couldn't agree more. But kind of hard to do that if an actor has chosen to leave.
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted! I love him :cry:

The boy who plays Will had better prepare himself to leave aswell then.
  • RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Oh good, no offence to the actor but his character was just bland his was like a cartoon villain.

Totally summed it up for me!
    Forum Member
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    Gutted! I love him :cry:

The boy who plays Will had better prepare himself to leave aswell then.

Poor Will. Best Wylde of the lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    gutted he is leaving. Love his character.

One thing the character does love is his brother and sister. With Maise gone i asumed will would go to either Nathan or Ryan. I hope they don't make him leave with Maise.

With nathan going maybe Ryan will take in will.

A shame as i think a long running feud with Nathan would also be good for Ryan's character to bounce off. Now when ryan is inevitably freed with either spend his days fixing cars and the odd romance, or maybe he will announce a departure soon too.
    Forum Member
    Lyndon Ogbourne: 'I have no plans to leave Emmerdale... oh wait, yeah I do'.

Just go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't miss him. Kinda glad he's going, never liked the character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Nathan's leaving!

[highlight]WOOHOO!!![/highlight]

The character is so flawed that I always felt he had a definite shelf life. There was a limit to how far he could go without a major personality change and then he wouldn't be the Nathan we all love to hate any more.

This is exactly what I was going to post. I did enjoy watching the character, some times (especially in the beginning), but I'm just bored of him now. I can't help but feel that the writing team spent so much time making him "evil" in recent months that they forgot to give him the kind of depth that could have kept him in the show for years. After all the Wylde drama is over and the rest of the family has left, what would they do with him? He won't have any family or friends (I'm assuming Will won't be staying, but who knows) and I'm guessing he won't have a business or a home either. Characters like Nathan come and go all the time in soaps.
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible news. From dodgy beginnings, he became a real star in the show. A classic "love to hate" character. I'll miss him loads.
  • narobi83narobi83 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I get the impression it wasn't entirely his decision. I think he's had meetings to discuss where to take the character after Maisie and Natasha leave and have come to a mutual decision that it's best if he goes with them. I do think that it was impossible to keep him around after they've both gone, I know others say the writers can do so if they really want but you have to see what is best for the character and make sure the story is believable.

I don't see how Nathan can stay when a large part of story is driven forward by character interaction, Nathan has limited interaction with anyone outside his family and I don't ever see him as a character lowering himself to talk to those that he thinks are beneath him. The only option was to write him out also, by making him so nasty with ne redeeming qualities the writers backed the character into a corner with no way back. If he'd shown flickers of guilt or remorse then it might have been possible to turn him around but he's out and out evil, all soap villians have a limited shelf life as once their plotting is revealed there's nowhere else to take them as nobody wants to know them anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not sure whether its the right decision or not, i think there could have been more to him on his own in the village, but their would be a danger he could turn into a cain, who this time round is dreadful.
    Forum Member

With nathan going maybe Ryan will take in will.

In real life, would a man be allowed to take over the care of a 10 year old (or however old he is) just because he's his half-brother, who he didn't know existed a year ago?

I know they don't bother with things like that in soaps, but I just wondered! :D
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1333465
    :p

But.. i do think, with his family going, he had to, because they have backed his character into a corner.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a TV god after all :D