DVD's Refund

B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
Forum Member
I recently purchased a box set of DVDs from the US which were advertised as being region free. My AWA player is also supposedly able to play DVDs from any region but I've had a few problems with picture freezing etc and some DVD's being unable to play at all. I'd like to ask for a refund but aren't sure whether I'd be entitled to one. I can't be entirely certain whether the DVDs are actually faulty or whether it's the region difference. What should I do?

Comments

• ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Contact the seller? You can't expect a region 1 DVD to work on a region 2 player. No idea how US consumer law works.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like they're faulty. If your DVD player were unable to play region 1 it would not even load and say 'wrong region' or something like that. (mine used to before I got the code)

I'm sure others will know more about this.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    Contact the seller? You can't expect a region 1 DVD to work on a region 2 player. No idea how US consumer law works.

But if both are meant to be region free where's the problem? If the DVD player was marked for another region I wouldn't have a hope of getting any money back and wouldn't expect to. The region thing shouldn't be a factor really should it? Don't know very much about that kind of thing.
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B*witched wrote: »
    But if both are meant to be region free where's the problem? If the DVD player was marked for another region I wouldn't have a hope of getting any money back and wouldn't expect to. The region thing shouldn't be a factor really should it? Don't know very much about that kind of thing.

Try on pc Media Player which is region free.

EDIT: Sorry forget that it won't help you. Rip and burn with Nero if it works in your player then it is not 'any region'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of DVDs being region-free is that means you should be able to play them on any DVD player.

Can you test them on a friend's DVD player? If they don't play, it sounds as if they were wrongly described as being region-free and you are entitled to a refund.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebright wrote: »
    The whole point of DVDs being region-free is that means you should be able to play them on any DVD player.

Can you test them on a friend's DVD player? If they don't play, it sounds as if they were wrongly described as being region-free and you are entitled to a refund.
    this is the sensible answer, though it may just be that they are simply faulty but nothing to do with region coding. when you play a dvd from a different region to the player (assuming it's not a multi-region player) a warning screen will come up straight away and you wouldn't get any further, it wouldn't manifest itself as frames freezing during playback.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    thanks for the advice, everyone. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you in australia or the uk?
    As others are saying wrong region will just lock the dvd player and you won't get any picture at all.
    The discs don't actually sound genuine to me to begin with,what boxsets are completely region free?
    There can't be many.
    Professionally made dvd boxsets shouldn't be a hit and miss affair,part of a disc playing,other discs not playing etc..
    If it was made in america it will be a different picture standard,it will be NTSC rather than the normal uk PAL picture standard which would explain possible picture issues during playback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beintot wrote: »
    are you in australia or the uk?
    As others are saying wrong region will just lock the dvd player and you won't get any picture at all.
    The discs don't actually sound genuine to me to begin with,what boxsets are completely region free?
    There can't be many.
    If it was made in america it will be a different picture standard,it will be NTSC rather than the normal uk PAL picture standard which would explain possible picture issues during playback.

Just what I was about to say. The discs probably do not have any region coding on them. If they were region 1 your dvd player would just refuse to play them.

The problem is likely to be that they are in NTSC as used in the Us whereas here we use PAL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the My So Called Life boxset about 5 years ago and it was Region 0 (free). It wouldn't play properly on my dvd player (was black & white with poor sound) but worked fine on my PS2.

When I got a new dvd player & tried it, it worked fine. Some dvd players don't seem to be set up to play Region 0 dvds properly. I'd try it out on a friend's dvd player on even on your PC - if you have the same problems then the discs are probably faulty.

Edit: Read the part about PAL/NTSC - this is most liekly the problem.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is likely to be that they are in NTSC as used in the Us whereas here we use PAL.
    i think the OP's post implied that some of them played at least in part, in which case her TV being unable to process NTSC (or DVD being unable to convert NTSC to PAL) is not the problem.