Options

312 arguments a year?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On 8 out of 10 Cats tonight, they said that the average couple argue 312 times a year! That's 6 times a week :eek:

Maybe we are very unusual, but my OH and I could count the number of times we argue in a year, on the fingers of one hand, and still have some fingers left over. I honestly cannot remember the last time we had a row - don't think we've had one this year.

I was shocked at this figure, cannot believe it can be true. If I argued with my OH several times a week, I'd be a nervous wreck and would be seriously wondering if we were right for each other!

How often do you and your OH argue?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I don't have to argue. I know I'm always right.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    You can't believe anything you see on there, :L
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my OH used to argue about 6 times a week. Then we sat down with each other, thought 'well this isn't right' and we listed the things that irritated us about the other person. In turn, we both limited the stuff that irritated the other and changed, we had the talk about two years ago and since then have argued very minimally. I really think if we didn't sit down and have that talk, we wouldn't be together now.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's about right for my next door neighbours. They're always shouting at each other. I don't know why people who argue so much stay together.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never really argue with my partner, in 4 years of being and 3 of living together we've probably had 4 or 5 argument max.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with Mr Q for 18 years and I can count the times we've had a few cross words on one hand. I'm not one for arguing and nor is he. I could never understand why couples argue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on your definition of argument, I think of arguing as proper stand up screaming match whereas I have a friend who thinks a disagreement over what to watch on telly is an argument. Big fights are rare in my house but silly little nothing disagreement probably happen most days. To us these mean nothing and are just part of living as a couple. If we agreed on every little thing I'd be a bit scared!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's counting all these arguments?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    I don't have to argue. I know I'm always right.
    Well you are wrong about that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    [...]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time my wife and I had an argument.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    On 8 out of 10 Cats tonight, they said that the average couple argue 312 times a year! That's 6 times a week :eek:

Maybe we are very unusual, but my OH and I could count the number of times we argue in a year, on the fingers of one hand, and still have some fingers left over. I honestly cannot remember the last time we had a row - don't think we've had one this year.

I was shocked at this figure, cannot believe it can be true. If I argued with my OH several times a week, I'd be a nervous wreck and would be seriously wondering if we were right for each other!

How often do you and your OH argue?

My parents used to be like that before they seperated :o:(

I doubt that figure is right too.
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can argue 6 times a day :p Once its over its over though. No sulking around for hours or hard feelings.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Sounds about right - if every single disagreement counts.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's counting all these arguments?

The pixies hiding in your closet.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of those arguments are reiterations of the same argument.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people say they never argue with their partners, they must either completely agree with one another (which would be lovely), or one partner must be submissive to the others' demands.

Mr Ellis and I disagree on lots of issues, we don't have blazing rows about everything, but we are both quite headstrong. There is no way that some issues could be resolved by one of us simply backing down. Sometimes things are resolved by a calm discussion, sometimes it's by a row, but I'd rather argue six times a week than back down on things that are important to me. :)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds a ridiculous amount to me. At a guess I'd see me and the wife argue maybe once every couple of months.

No wonder the divorce rate is high if people are arguing 312 times a year, it must be pure hell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    No sulking around for hours or hard feelings.
    My OH sulks for days, nothing worse than dragging a bad atmosphere out for days on end.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Sounds a ridiculous amount to me. At a guess I'd see me and the wife argue maybe once every couple of months.

No wonder the divorce rate is high if people are arguing 312 times a year, it must be pure hell.

It depends on what you count as an argument - if one of you wants pasta for tea and the other wants chips, is that an argument?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    we had an argument this week, but before that it was maybe a couple of months ago?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    It depends on what you count as an argument - if one of you wants pasta for tea and the other wants chips, is that an argument?

I'd class an argument (in this context) as when voices get raised.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I suppose this could be reworded as:

"Men are wrong 312 times a year". :D