✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    My cousin wanted a kitten for his 2 chidren

Seems a fair swap. :p
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Sadly, people will charge that much for unplanned Heinz moggies because people will pay it.... Most rescue centres have older cats and most people want kittens...

Yes this is sadly true. When I got my 2 mature cats from a CP shelter, the shelter had more cats needing to come into the shelter than it could cope with, but had a waiting list of people wanting a kitten. What do these people think happens to a kitten after a few months:confused:, oh yes it grows into an adult cat, so what is so wrong with having an adult cat in the first place. I could not go on a waiting list for a kitten knowing that there were so many adult cats needing a home...
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you already have a cat or cats then a klitten is much easier to settle in without upsetting the older cats and that so me is a valid reason for wanting a kitten. Otherwise, as you say, kittens turn fairly quickly into cats.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I would gladly have bypassed the bonkers kitten stage and taken on a rescue cat but I don't think my 3 year old cat would have accepted an adult.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I can completely understand people wanting kittens. I now have 3 cats that I took on as adult cats and I love them dearly but I definitely don't feel as bonded to any of them as I did to my Tabitha who I had from age 9 weeks to when she died in April at nearly 16. She was really hard work as a kitten and I didn't even properly bond with her until she had passed the kitten stage but the fact she 'grew up' with me made us incredibly close. :cry:

The rescues I went to recently had plenty of kittens who were not getting homed and my own 2 adult rescue cats had been in rescue since they were kittens. They're both very pretty and friendly cats so there would be absolutely no reason for them not to be re-homed at a much earlier stage. People just can't afford cats in this current economic climate - and that includes kittens. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    My beloved 20 year old cat died at the beginning of August, although I wasn't intending to carry on her legacy straight away I just wanted to see what was out there so I looked around a few online websites.
    I was surprised at the price of kittens but I guess in relation to what the rescue centre charge it's on a parr.

I have now become mum to a 2 year old and a 1 year old the previous owner circumstances changed and they could not keep them, although no money was asked for as they wanted the cats to go to a good home. I did however give them money in a thank you card.