When did you leave home?

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21, I moved in with my fiance (now husband) we did have to live with my parents again for 3 months while waiting on our second flat becoming available, now in a lovely 3 bed house.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17. I had a massive row with my parents and flounced out. I didn't speak to them for 3 years and I seriously regret that now.
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    17. I had a massive row with my parents and flounced out. I didn't speak to them for 3 years and I seriously regret that now.

Where did you move to at that age with presumably no money?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 threw myself on the mercy of Social Services who arranged for me to have somewhere to stay until I left school then moved into a bedsit
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I left home at 19 to go to University down in Dorset, then moved in with my boyfriend who is now my husband so never looked back really!
  • EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    18 to go to uni, after that moved to London for work and shared flats for a number of years whilst saving up to buy my own place.

An evening with my parents and I long to get back to my own flat, couldn't live with them now!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    18, moved to "the city" to live with my boyfriend. I got along fine with my parents but I just needed a bit more freedom and I loved every single second of those times of my life. It is shocking just how quickly they go by though, looking back. I'm now 30 and feel very old to how I was back then.
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is everyone who left home in their mid to late 20s or higher too embarrassed to post?
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to leave home at 19 but ended up living back there. Left home for good at 21.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16 when I joined the Royal Navy. Met my wife at 19 and never returned home.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    26, moved back home when I was 27 for 6 months and then moved out for good...
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is everyone who left home in their mid to late 20s or higher too embarrassed to post?

I just posted.

No embarrassment whatsoever.... :confused:
  • velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Came back to live at home after uni and moved out at 25. Having said that, it is not unusual for a 20-something Londoner to be living at home. Most of my friends who don't live with their parents either grew up outside of London or are married. The reasons are mostly financial.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to specify I mean left home for good.

Well caught, sir. I was going to reply "When I was five." :D It's technically correct, though. I became a school boarder at that age, and lived between three homes (divorced parents and grandparents) while growing up. I rarely lived at a fixed address longer than two months until I bought my first flat at 19 for university. My husband was still living with his father when we met, and left home for good when we married. He was 28.

We had conversations about this at various dinner parties. The average temporary leaving age seems to be 18, and the average permanent leaving age is 24. The oldest was 36 (she didn't feel the need to leave home until she met someone). The youngest was 16.
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 20 & it was to go to university.
    Since then moved back closer to home but never could have moved back in home.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you move to at that age with presumably no money?
    I had money, I was working, I rented a bedsit, I thought at the time I was living the dream.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    23 when I got my first mortgage
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I actually never did..my parents died by the time I was 16 and I had the house..about a year and half after that my boyfriend moved in...we had a child and got married..we moved a few years after that so don't know if that counts
    our oldest moved when he was 17 because of work
    next son moved at 19 because of work
    we live in a rural village and travel is rubbish unless you have a car
    our daughter is still here at 18
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    23 when I bought a flat.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    19 and a half. i wasn't planning on moving out till probably mid twenties when id saved up but i met my partner so things changed. i realized i wanted to live with the man i love not my parents any more , we lived 10 miles and 2 buses apart and it was horrible. now im 21 and though I'm not rolling in the money i don't regret it. im very surprised how well we have both adapted , we have both had to become proper adults - pay bills , keep our home tidy , look after our cat and other boring adult things. and we've just got on with it , it was easy than i thought it would be and i love it. especially the independence , i think that is the most rewarding thing about moving out. you can eat a pizza at 3am if you want , go to bed at 5am , no issues about privacy, its great. i miss my family a bit not as much as i thought. i prefer living away from home. though if i hadn't met my partner i don't think id have liked living on my home , even in our small flat it feels empty and lonely when im on my own. so im happy i met my partner , its changed everything, i thought id live in my hometown all my life as well , we did for 6 months but now Ive moved to where he is from. its only 10 miles away but now im living in a village rather than a big city , im happy to have spread my wings especially as i was always a homely person.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 13 .Went to live with my sister .
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seventeen, My mum was in hospital and my dad saw it as his chance to get rid of me, He thought I'd be crawling back after a week,
    It ruined my college course as I had a month of the course to go but the jobcentre said I couldn't stay in education and claim benefits.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was kicked out when I was 16 and slept in my friends mums conservatory for half a year, and then a hostel untill I was 18 and went to Uni.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Left home at 17 to go to university. That was thirty years ago and while I have never lived under my parents' roof since, I do like visiting them and having them over at mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left home at 33. Wanted to be out by 25, but as usual couldn't afford to. :rolleyes: