CNN final closedown recording leaked- the end of the world.

Comments

• Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why an intern wouldn't have access to the video database, particularly if it was required for the tasks that they were doing. It would hardly contain classified material!

But a VT that is/was only to be played out in the event of End of the World (give it was 1980 I still assume they mean they would play this VT - if it is a legitimate CNN video - in the event that the US attacked the USSR or visa-versa) therefore why would anyone other than top level management/producers had any access to this VT.

I mean if the intern had leaked a pre-made ready-to-broadcast Obituary VT for a living high ranking politican then yes I could see how an intern at the station may have access to this, but a once in a lifetime 'end of the world' tape, I just feel that this would only be accessable/viewable to management until such as time it was need for transmission.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like something from gremlins 2.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a VT that is/was only to be played out in the event of End of the World (give it was 1980 I still assume they mean they would play this VT - if it is a legitimate CNN video - in the event that the US attacked the USSR or visa-versa) therefore why would anyone other than top level management/producers had any access to this VT.

I mean if the intern had leaked a pre-made ready-to-broadcast Obituary VT for a living high ranking politican then yes I could see how an intern at the station may have access to this, but a once in a lifetime 'end of the world' tape, I just feel that this would only be accessable/viewable to management until such as time it was need for transmission.

Well, the story goes that the intern found out about this recording after being told about it by a former CNN employee (who was by then his tutor).

He seems surprised himself that he was able to search the CNN database so easily.

In 1980 I assume that it was made on videotape (or were TV stations using hard discs by then?). If this is the case, it has obviously been transferred from tape to disc so must have been deemed to have some sort of value.

However, it's interesting to note that that value was evidently not enough to mean an upgrade to widescreen and/or HD.

I can imagine the posts on DS " The world is about to end and it's not in HD" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    I believe that during the Cold War, our nuclear deterrent submarines would listen out for BBC Radio 4, and in the event of hostilities and Radio 4 going off air, they would reach for their launch codes...

I've also read that the Radio 4 programme 'Today' is used in a similar fashion as a last indicator of the aftermath of a nuclear attack. The none appearance of this programme is to be taken as a sign that nuclear weapons have severely, severely damaged or even annihilated human life in Great Britain (serious).

I've also heard that Radio 4 and BBC1 are the most protected frequencies within the broadcasting infrastructure, as these would be used for the Emergency Broadcast System.

I'll create another thread to see if anyone with much more knowledge than myself knows if this is true.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All those +1 channels will be very useful on doosmday, just in case you've missed the live coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of the end of civilization, the Clamp Cable Network now leaves the air. We hope you've enjoyed our programming, but more importantly, we hope you've enjoyed... life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    All those +1 channels will be very useful on doosmday, just in case you've missed the live coverage.

PMSL :D:D:D
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    It is real. There's a New Yorker interview from 1988 where Ted Turner talks about filming it, it was shot outside the old CNN headquarters in the early 1980s back when the Cold War and Russian threats meant nuclear attacks were a genuine possibility. Originally it would have been on videotape but interesting to see it's been digitised and kept on the server, despite being a rather blurry 4:3/SD records by today's standards - maybe with all the hype around this, CNN will film a new version in HD widescreen?

The most chilling piece of television continuity I've ever seen is the link into the BBC officially announcing the death of Princess Diana in 1997, which can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsdvhh8_X0 . It actually makes me shiver every time I see it - the silence, the still logo, the extremely sombre announcement "This is BBC Television from London. Normal programming have been suspended" - if you were tuning in at that moment you would genuinely think the nukes had started and armageddon was imminent. When the news is actually revealed as the death of Diana it's almost a relief, in comparison to what it could have been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is real. There's a New Yorker interview from 1988 where Ted Turner talks about filming it, it was shot outside the old CNN headquarters in the early 1980s back when the Cold War and Russian threats meant nuclear attacks were a genuine possibility. Originally it would have been on videotape but interesting to see it's been digitised and kept on the server, despite being a rather blurry 4:3/SD records by today's standards - maybe with all the hype around this, CNN will film a new version in HD widescreen?

The most chilling piece of television continuity I've ever seen is the link into the BBC officially announcing the death of Princess Diana in 1997, which can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsdvhh8_X0 . It actually makes me shiver every time I see it - the silence, the still logo, the extremely sombre announcement "This is BBC Television from London. Normal programming have been suspended" - if you were tuning in at that moment you would genuinely think the nukes had started and armageddon was imminent. When the news is actually revealed as the death of Diana it's almost a relief, in comparison to what it could have been.

After having just watched it, I know what you mean by it being chilling.

The National Anthem sounded to be a different version to the one previously used at closedown as it seemed to be slower.

Had BBC1 joined BBC News 24 at this point (not sure if the channel had been created at this point in time)?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    BBC News 24 launched in November 1997, so no.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sky News: And now back to our main story, David Beckham has stubbed his toe.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lincsat wrote: »
    On Sky News: And now back to our main story, David Beckham has stubbed his toe.

Kay Burley would be reporting from within the apocalypse itself, surely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/URL]
    solarflare wrote: »

This 1

This 2

This 3

This 4
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kay Burley chasing the end of the world up an escalator could be the last image we see.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Kay Burley chasing the end of the world up an escalator could be the last image we see.:p

if i remember rightly Kay Burley was the first face we saw on the newly relaunched sky back in 89.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking for the clip from 'My Hero' where Dr Piers Crispen presents an 'End Of The World Breakfast Special', but I dont know the episode title or if its on line.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member

No she would be asking the public on the street how they feel about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    No she would be asking the public on the street how they feel about it.

Telling people their friends & family are already dead and asking what they think about that.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    And if you'd been hiding in a bunker for a couple of years, you'll be able to come out and catch it on Dave, along with the Top Gear Armageddon Special.
  • mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when somebody hacked into Czech TV a few years back and superimposed a nuke going off in the distance during the weather forecast? The blast wave got closer and closer until the picture went off! :D

http://youtu.be/MzaN2x8qXcM
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    BBC2 must show The Goodies "Earthanasia".

If they don't I'll never watch BBC2 again.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    ^ And Look East would manage to shoehorn Milton Keynes Dons into it (they have a fascination for Franchise FC - we had a report tonight about how they're hosting games in the Rugby World Cup in September).

Or something about hospital stats, they're bloody obsessed with hospitals too, especially for finding fault- I'd like to see Stewart White or Susie Fowler - Watt after a night shift in A&E.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Express will have a front page about the Weather, how statins are good or bad for you and how EU Immigration is causing the end of the World.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    Nice of them to get a North Korean military band to play it.

It is obvious by the uniform and the rank insignia on one of the band members that they are United States Air Force personnel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This thread is not in the least bit funny.