Virtually forgotten cartoon shows of the 70s/80s

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devin - It was like an unofficial Evel Knievel cartoon from Hanna-Barbera.

Just try getting the theme music out of your head. This tune has haunted me for decades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wtMQNyGSo
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess no-one knows what the cartoons were that were in the Roland Rat summer hol shows then?:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess no-one knows what the cartoons were that were in the Roland Rat summer hol shows then?:p
    Pac-Man and Arthur & The Square Knights Of The Round Table are the two I remember.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member

I replied on the previous page - don't know if I was right though :)
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Prancelot made by the Captain Pugwash people. It was knights searching for hidden treasure. It was never repeated as far as I know as it had a continuous story that ran through all the episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Chicken is another one from the Rat on the Road shows on TVAM.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Sir Prancelot made by the Captain Pugwash people. It was knights searching for hidden treasure. It was never repeated as far as I know as it had a continuous story that ran through all the episodes.
    Greatest guitar riff in all kids TV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlQYizttQZI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf1HmWmaCZc

Another to add to the list is The Perishers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rK6W5bQw9I with the voices of Leonard Rossiter, Sheila Steafel and 'Bill & Ben/Daleks/Captain Pugwash' himself Peter Hawkins.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max the 2000 year old mouse. An utterly dull history lesson 'lightened up' by an irritating cartoon vermin.
    'What On Earth'. The most spectacularly boring five minutes ever transmiitted. A sonorous Canadian makes mogadon fuelled sermonisings about items of 1950s current affairs interest while a rostrum camera slowly transmits close ups of ****ing stamps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cockleshell Bay with Robin and Rosie. It started as a segment on Rainbow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pac-Man and Arthur & The Square Knights Of The Round Table are the two I remember.

aaaah thank you so much. It was Arthur & the square Knights of the round table! Just looked it up on youtube, thank god for youtube lol haven't seen that for 31 years:) it's been in my memory ever since. How old are you? you must be a few years older than me to recall the title, I'm 36.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Chicken is another one from the Rat on the Road shows on TVAM.

Thin I remember that too. There was another cartoon at that time on in the morning, may have also been part of the Roland Rat show, all I recall is that it had a sherlock Holmes type character with a deerstalker, may have had a mostache, it was silly. That one's been in my memory ever since too. Any ideas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I replied on the previous page - don't know if I was right though :)

yes, thanks mate. Don't recall George of the Jungle. It was 'Arthur and the square knights of the round table' that i remember.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, thanks mate. Don't recall George of the Jungle. It was 'Arthur and the square knights of the round table' that i remember.
    George of the Jungle."watch out for that tree"

i remember watching george of the jungle on sky channel in the dj kat show and the fun factory
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I actually think Dungeons and Dragons is one of the best cartoon series of all time. I even enjoy it now, they are all on youtube and hold up well. It has a great atmosphere to it. Unique.
    Am I right in thinking that they didn't show the final episode at the time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Yes, that's right, I read about that. Not sure they ever broadcast it. I wonder what that was about? don't ever recall them actually getting home to the fairground do you? I mean almost but not for good.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Cockleshell Bay with Robin and Rosie. It started as a segment on Rainbow.

I remember that very well :D
    "Cockleshell Bay is a town near the sea with seagulls and sunshine and sand
    There are shops that sell ices and bright coloured kites that fly from a string in your hand"
    :p
    Cosgrove Hall were underrated imo, looking back.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willo the wisp
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I actually think Dungeons and Dragons is one of the best cartoon series of all time. I even enjoy it now, they are all on youtube and hold up well. It has a great atmosphere to it. Unique.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yes, that's right, I read about that. Not sure they ever broadcast it. I wonder what that was about? don't ever recall them actually getting home to the fairground do you? I mean almost but not for good.

They never made the last ever episode but the writer did write one and has put the script online and it tells us if they did or didn't

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Dungeons_&_Dragons_3x99_-_Requiem.pdf

it was revealed that Venger was in fact Dungeon Masters son who had been corrupted by a evil being but they broke the spell and turned him good again.

It was also revealed that that is the real reason they were there and if he wanted to Dungeon Master could have sent them home at any time he wished he did open a portal but it left with them having the choice to go or stay and help with more problems and panned away before they made that choice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Square Knights of the round table...... that's the programme I couldn't remember. Thanks. :)
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You and me both!
    Plus the machines as well!

I was extremely lucky that I got them all plus, Turtles and Thundercats and Transformers!

Yes I had all them as well, and He-Man and Mask. Looking back I was a very lucky child.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one I vaguely remember was about a family, I think voiced by Frankie Howerd, and they had a pet cat and dog. And I think a canary with an eyepatch.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a cartoon version of Planet of the Apes, that carried on the story from the original film, although the apes were a little more advanced in the cartoon.

Return to the Planet of the Apes
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portland Bill
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Square Knights of the round table...... that's the programme I couldn't remember. Thanks. :)

Me too, hadn't sen it in 31 years lol It's very strange watching something you haven't seen for decades. It is linked to happy memories of the summer of 1984 for me. My cousin was down for a visit and we all used to go to the local beach after watching Rat on the Road. It was the summer Wham's 'Wake me up before you go go' was in the charts, and I remember singing it at the beach:p happy memories.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babar-papa. The alien shaped like a big round egg with limbs, who lodged with a suburban family, and could change shape, using this power to solve various problems.
    This was till he was afflicted by a tropical disease that scarred him with yellow spots, removed his power to change shape, and made him intellectually subnormal, and volatile and unpredictable in his behaviour. As a result, the family he lodged with threw him out. His only means of making a living was a freak show. That's how he came to rename himself Mr Blobby and exhibit Noel Edmonds on Saturday evening TV.