Alicia and Lachlan ** May contain spoilers**

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Unfortunately that just shows why soaps need to do storylines like these - there are still so many misconceptions about cases like this - it is NEVER the victim's fault.

No I totally agree. I'm lucky to have never personally been affected by something like this, but it makes me SO angry seeing so many young women are blamed - skirt was too short, she was too drunk, she led him on, she said yes to some stuff then no to others - etc etc...eurgh!
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That daily star article makes a huge error - "she has failed to address the issue properly" ...why do they ALWAYS victim blame?!

It is disgusting, isn't it, blaming the victim. Shame on The Daily Star for their article. The only person to blame here is Lachlan, NOT Alicia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I totally agree. I'm lucky to have never personally been affected by something like this, but it makes me SO angry seeing so many young women are blamed - skirt was too short, she was too drunk, she led him on, she said yes to some stuff then no to others - etc etc...eurgh!

I couldn't agree more with you.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    It is disgusting, isn't it, blaming the victim. Shame on The Daily Star for their article. The only person to blame here is Lachlan, NOT Alicia.

Exactly. It's awful that I can just hear the defence if/when it goes to court now >:(
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Most recent examples will surely carry most weight, and when he was sober Belle offered him sex on a plate, and knowing that it wasn't really what she wanted, he didn't lay a finger on ( or in) her.

Belle's testimony is going to be crucial, and may well indicate in the eyes of the law that Alicia's irresponsible decision to allow the schoolboy to consume alcohol was a significant factor. If Lachlan says he'd drunk 3 or 4 glasses of wine, and had initially out of curiosity been looking for Alicia's gun shot wound (inflicted by Cameron) when he stupidly and drunkenly allowed a finger to go where it shouldn't have, it'll take some disproving.

The timing of other events in Lachlan's potential relationship/sexual history bear absolutely no relevance whatsoever, nor do the events themselves. How on earth does his conduct with Belle prove whether or not he assaulted Alicia?! Anyone can rape or sexually assault, whether or not they already have a history of it. If you had to have a history of it to do it then no one would ever do it, and plenty of people do.
    Alicia didn't give him alcohol, he took it himself.
    It wouldn't take any disproving, since there's no way he could prove that it happened. A prosecutor would rip such a flimsy story to bits, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn. How predictable.>:( There are always some sad people complaining. At the end of the day, this story will help raise awareness, so I am not sure why people want to complain. If it is going to help people, there should be no problem showing the story. Like I said earlier, Emmerdale issued a warning, so I doubt the soap will be punished.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a631953/emmerdale-alicia-lachlan-sex-assault-story-sparks-ofcom-complaints.html#~p5uFUrVsqJcJ6L
  • PacerkezPacerkez Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn. How predictable.>:( There are always some sad people complaining. At the end of the day, this story will help raise awareness, so I am not sure why people want to complain. If it is going to help people, there should be no problem showing the story. Like I said earlier, Emmerdale issued a warning, so I doubt the soap will be punished.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a631953/emmerdale-alicia-lachlan-sex-assault-story-sparks-ofcom-complaints.html#~p5uFUrVsqJcJ6L

I was about to mention that. 45 people need to get a life,sorry to be blunt it just p's me off. To be honest I was expecting it with how some people are these days. I thought like EE it was very well done, and in a very discrete Manner. I also agree with what you've put about awareness, very well put.
  • Hotton BotheredHotton Bothered Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    srhgts wrote: »
    How on earth does his conduct with Belle prove whether or not he assaulted Alicia?!

Alicia didn't give him alcohol, he took it himself.

You're right on both counts srhgts. The point I was trying to make was not that it would provide proof as to whether he assaulted Alicia, but his contrasting behaviour in a potentially sexual situation when he had not been consuming alcohol first.

I'm not sure establishing who poured the alcohol into the glass would be the sole factor. As the only responsible/irresponsible adult present, it was Alicia who gave the schoolboy the OK to drink it.
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,224
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I don't actually know, but going by how much he's been on screen, I would think he'd be over 16 due to working laws. I'd also imagine that ED would not have hired a minor to portray this character. Thomas has done a brilliant job portraying Lachlan so far. Natalie was outstanding last night as well.

EDIT: I've just read the DS article and Thomas has a chaperone, so maybe he is under 16?!

To be honest I'm just going from a twitter Q&A Danny Miller did. Eden Taylor-Draper (Belle) asked him who his favourite 17 year old cast member was and he answered her with "Thomas Atkinson"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pacerkez wrote: »
    I was about to mention that. 45 people need to get a life,sorry to be blunt it just p's me off. To be honest I was expecting it with how some people are these days. I thought like EE it was very well done, and in a very discrete Manner. I also agree with what you've put about awareness, very well put.

I know. It annoys me. There will always be people out there who will complain about anything these days though. These people complaining, spoil it for other viewers though. I think both Eastenders and Emmerdale have done an amazing job to help raise awareness with their storylines.

Off topic, but I did not know Louis Emerick watched Emmerdale.:D

https://twitter.com/thelouisemerick/status/571274080751620096

ITV have a new Lachlan and Alicia trailer. It looks brilliant, but heartbreaking.:(

https://twitter.com/emmerdale/status/571281764255207424
  • lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Lachlan rape Alicia or was it sexual assault? From the article on DS, they seem to be differentiating the two words which has confused me. Poor Alicia :cry: why :( The actress was amazing last night! I hope she gets justice :(
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    ITV have a new Lachlan and Alicia trailer. It looks brilliant, but heartbreaking.:(

https://twitter.com/emmerdale/status/571281764255207424

Oh my goodness, this is going to be absolutely harrowing. Poor, poor Alicia.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Personally, I believe that the nine o'clock watershed is now being totally ignored by the soaps. If I had been babysitting by eleven year old grandson, I would have been feeling very uncomfortable. A soap is a soap - there is no need to introduce sex/gays/unwanted pregnancies/death/murder/arson etc into every storyline, IMHO. I know there won't be many who will agree with me tho!!

But you're there with the 11 year old grandson, and if you feel a scene is inappropriate you switch away not carry on watching. No one should be leaving any of their impressionable kids watching tv alone in the evening or in their room. Each person's child/teenager has a different level of maturity and watching it on tv with you and having debate about things like sex, assault is better than ignoring it and letting them form their opinions from other kids at school.
    Forum Member
    Trailer looks very sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer looks very sad.

I know. It will be interesting to see how this will have an impact on Jacob too. How does a kid that young, deal with someone they love being assaulted?:(

I am pleased to see this website creating a lot of Emmerdale articles on the soap main page though. Normally Emmerdale does not get a lot of promotion on this site, compared to the others, so it is nice to see Emmerdale getting recognised by the site.:)
    Forum Member
    I know. It will be interesting to see how this will have an impact on Jacob too. How does a kid that young, deal with someone they love being assaulted?:(

I am pleased to see this website creating a lot of Emmerdale articles on the soap main page though. Normally Emmerdale does not get a lot of promotion on this site, compared to the others, so it is nice to see Emmerdale getting recognised by the site.:)

Yeah, I think it's quite similar to the Baby Daniel Death storyline in showing an issue, but doing it with sensitivity.. I think emmerdale is often underappreciated (from someone who watches all 4 soaps, and stopped watching Corrie because it became dreadful).
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    But you're there with the 11 year old grandson, and if you feel a scene is inappropriate you switch away not carry on watching. No one should be leaving any of their impressionable kids watching tv alone in the evening or in their room. Each person's child/teenager has a different level of maturity and watching it on tv with you and having debate about things like sex, assault is better than ignoring it and letting them form their opinions from other kids at school.

I did say "if I was". What's the point of having a nine o'clock watershed (if it still exists, that is) when they are showing programmes at seven o'clock which you think are not suitable for "impressionable young children"? There was a time when soaps were OK for children to watch. I never felt uncomfortable when my two were allowed to watch them back in the eighties and nineties and I always kept an eye on the time so that they were not watching after nine o'clock, nor did they have a TV in their room.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When she's talking to Jacob aw:(

How is Lachlan going to cover up all the pictures he has in his laptop? I know he can delete it but the police can recover these things can't they?
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Lachlan rape Alicia or was it sexual assault? From the article on DS, they seem to be differentiating the two words which has confused me. Poor Alicia :cry: why :( The actress was amazing last night! I hope she gets justice :(
    Legally it was sexual assault, not rape.
  • Hotton BotheredHotton Bothered Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I've just seen the trailer, I'm amazed that they've put Rustie Lee in charge of the investigation :)
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baban wrote: »

How is Lachlan going to cover up all the pictures he has in his laptop? I know he can delete it but the police can recover these things can't they?

Could the police forensic people recover the deleted photos on Katie's phone?
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    [/B]
    Could the police forensic people recover the deleted photos on Katie's phone?

They never tried cause it was ruled as an accident, I'm guessing they would of if her death was seen as suspicious.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baban wrote: »

How would they know he had them, his mother and Rob won't tell them?
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that Kate Oates' article and it made me so angry. She is talking about Lachlan being remorseful and being redeemed. I don't want him hanging around the village making our Alicia's life even more unbearable. I want him gone.

I really hope that David steps up. He has failed Alicia so many times in the past. He needs to be there for her now. And poor Jacob. How will he cope with this horrible thing that has happened to his sweet mother.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When Alicia tells Jacob, it's going to be so sad :(

Where does Kate say that there is going to be a trauma in his past that explains Lachlan's behaviour?