Options

Is this normal puppy behaviour?

rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
Forum Member
Every few days I give my puppy a Dentastick, instead of chewing it she walks around the house with it in her mouth and whimpering. She'll eventually go outside and bury it, a few hours later she'll retrieve it, covered in filth, and start to chew.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, she's making sure it's "dead". Most dogs prefer to eat stinky, rotten, high food. Burying it and eating it helps that, although I can't really see a dentastick going bad lol!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Every few days I give my puppy a Dentastick, instead of chewing it she walks around the house with it in her mouth and whimpering. She'll eventually go outside and bury it, a few hours later she'll retrieve it, covered in filth, and start to chew.

What breed is she? Sounds perfectly normal for a dog that likes to hoard things! Especially chews, toys and sausages!:D I have a cocker spaniel and a cavalier kcs and both are hoarders. I find chews, toys, even socks and shoes buried in all kinds of places! My ckcs hides her chews behind the cusions in the lounge, the cocker hides things under his blanket and even amongst the garden plants! My OH lost his wrist watch for a few days, before finding the cocker had hid it in his bed! :D
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it seems to be a habit with dentasticks and our boy, he doesn't bury anything else, just those

a couple of years back when i first tried him with chicken wings & meaty ribs, he decided to bury the wings for a day or two before eating them

it won't harm them in anyway, they have incredibly strong stomachs!
    some dongs just prefer things to be a bit on the ripe side, as mentioned above.
  • Options
    danceslikehippodanceslikehippo Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    my dog buries yorkshire puddings, dentastix and any other larger treats she's given.
    she's a german shepherd and done it since she was a puppy,which is a bit annoying when we redoing the garden and want to put turfs down!