Options

Wormer treatment, asking for a relative

OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Asking for a relative, basically she has 2 cats. One cat is fine with tablets, wrap it in some chicken or meat and he'll eat tablets fine. The other one is a struggle to get a pill down, so basically she wants a worming treatment that is like Frontline spot on flea treatment, but obviously wormer.

I have read horror stories about Bob Martin's, which I saw cheap this morning in a local shop, but am at a loss as to what other spot on ones there are. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a spot on for worms as well. I think its called profender or something like that. Please dont use bob martins they cause so many problems
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ocado wrote: »
    Asking for a relative, basically she has 2 cats. One cat is fine with tablets, wrap it in some chicken or meat and he'll eat tablets fine. The other one is a struggle to get a pill down, so basically she wants a worming treatment that is like Frontline spot on flea treatment, but obviously wormer.

I have read horror stories about Bob Martin's, which I saw cheap this morning in a local shop, but am at a loss as to what other spot on ones there are. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Instead of trying to get a tablet down has she tried grinding it to a fine powder and then sprinkling in food..we used to sprinkle it on a bit of pate or tuna or anything else strong smelling.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the safe and effective spot-on wormers need a prescription so she might as well go to her vets. She might also find she can get Milbemax down her cat - it's vet only at present (so not cheap) but tiny compared to Drontal. Not sure if the spot-on wormers are effective against fleas as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use frontline combo for fleas and millerbemax for worms. If i could i would use the spot on wormer. I never used the powder as i wouldnt know if there getting the complete dose down or one of my others is having too much
  • Options
    radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    All the safe and effective spot-on wormers need a prescription so she might as well go to her vets. She might also find she can get Milbemax down her cat - it's vet only at present (so not cheap) but tiny compared to Drontal. Not sure if the spot-on wormers are effective against fleas as well.

There's Droncit Spot On which is a liquid wormer applied in the same way as Frontline Spot on.I use it on our 5 furries and I've seen no evidence of worms.It's not POM so you can buy it online without prescription.I've just checked and you can even buy it on Amazon!!
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Profender the last time with my two - they had no problems and the one who hates the flea drops ( runs now if she sees them ) didn't mind the worming drops at all. They're actually due both again now ! Its so much easier than watching one of them spit the tablet out accross the room - she even managed to do it to the vet as well - she's determined not to swallow !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    I seem to have got my worming pill popping down to a fine art. It only takes me seconds per cat.

I use milbemax. What I do is I get my hubby to pick up one of the cats so that they are facing me. He holds them quite tight so that they can't move away from me, I then coat the tablet in a very tiny amount of marmite (a tip I was given :p), I then prise open their jaw gently, pop the pill right at the back of the throat on their tongue, from the side of their mouth, close their mouth quickly and then rub their throat. They are usually so concerned with licking their lips cos the taste of marmite is so good that they forget that they have had a pill popped into their mouths! Works for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at the "asking for a relative" caveat!! ;)
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radioman2 wrote: »
    There's Droncit Spot On

Unfortuntely it only treats tapeworms, not roundworms.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used profender on my cat for the first time, unfortunately it left a tiny bald spot, I gather the fur will re grow, but this is an unusual side effect !
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for some of the replies, have told my relative and she will try sprinkling the pill over their food. If not, then one is due for her vaccines in October so can get wormed at same time by vet.