Options

Pope demotes outspoken American conservative cardinal

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pope-demotes-outspoken-american-conservative-cardinal/ar-AA78KoQ

Don't know if there is already a thread on this?

But well done that man! We need more of this to happen.

Comments

• Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I must admit I like the current Pope's attitude to dealing with excess and problematic priests.

He tends to put them towards doing more for charity, in this case the cardinal is now working for a charity.
    It's almost like he thinks one of the main things the church should be doing is helping people, especially those who are poor or in need, rather than sitting in nicely furnished luxury homes whilst their parishioners might be living in hovels, and that he doesn't think the Church should always be excluding groups of people (the attitude towards divorced people for example is really out of date in an age where people will likely be married for far longer than they lived in total when the original rules were laid down).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I must admit I like the current Pope's attitude to dealing with excess and problematic priests.

He tends to put them towards doing more for charity, in this case the cardinal is now working for a charity.
    It's almost like he thinks one of the main things the church should be doing is helping people, especially those who are poor or in need, rather than sitting in nicely furnished luxury homes whilst their parishioners might be living in hovels, and that he doesn't think the Church should always be excluding groups of people (the attitude towards divorced people for example is really out of date in an age where people will likely be married for far longer than they lived in total when the original rules were laid down).
    I'm not really interested in the pope or his or any religon but I will admit I like what i've heard about him being humble and more progressive in helping which should be the core of his religion and trying to move away from being stuck in the past.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »

I am taking a meaning in that as priests who abused children. If so then they should not be doing charity work they should be doing time. Until these priests are handed over the authorities nothing has changed. The church does not decide the law the government does and abusing children should put you jail.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pope-demotes-outspoken-american-conservative-cardinal/ar-AA78KoQ

Don't know if there is already a thread on this?

But well done that man! We need more of this to happen.

I'm an atheist but I have to say, as Popes go, the current guy is actually a bit of a dude :)
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'm an atheist but I have to say, as Popes go, the current guy is actually a bit of a dude :)

He is possibly the best of the lot - especially compared to all those power crazed megalomaniac scumbags who came before him.

And I include 'Saint' John Paul II who covered up for all the nonces in the church.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    I am taking a meaning in that as priests who abused children. If so then they should not be doing charity work they should be doing time. Until these priests are handed over the authorities nothing has changed. The church does not decide the law the government does and abusing children should put you jail.

Nope, I'm talking about priests who can't seem to understand that in theory the church is there to help people, or that can't grasp that living in a new multi million dollar residence when your parishioners are in shacks in inappropriate, and who can't understant that if the church wishes to remain credible in the future it may want to discuss and perhaps adjust it's attitudes to some things that have changed massively in the last couple of hundred years (let alone two thousand).

Paedophiles priests would be described as such, or as criminal priests.