Options

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises after calling black actors coloured

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh, the moral outrage: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Entertainment+&+Arts/Film/Film+Stars/Film+Stars+A-Z/Benedict+Cumberbatch#natnn

A minor faux-pas perhaps, but is it really all that bad? It's surely no different from the ridiculous term, "people of colour", which the pc watchdog seems to approve of for some reason.

I remember the term first being used because describing people as black was seen as offensive. It's not as if "coloured actors" is an offensive term and is even more accurate, as it encompasses many races who don't consider themselves to be black anyway. It would have been different if he had referred to them as "the coloureds"; a term used with deliberate malice by American rednecks.

I actually find it quite offensive that he has felt such a need to crawl to some of these commentators, when it was perfectly clear to anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense that there was absolutely no intention to cause offence. They should have just regarded it as slightly quaint and then forgotten about it.

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what's so wrong with calling black people coloured. I use the term coloured for people who aren't fully black. The world's becoming more PC as they years go by.

Edit: Some might think that using the term 'coloured' for people who aren't fully black means that you think of them as inferior or whatever, but that's not the case. I always thought that coloured was fine.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Oh, the moral outrage: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Entertainment+&+Arts/Film/Film+Stars/Film+Stars+A-Z/Benedict+Cumberbatch#natnn

A minor faux-pas perhaps, but is it really all that bad? It's surely no different from the ridiculous term, "people of colour", which the pc watchdog seems to approve of for some reason.

I remember the term first being used because describing people as black was seen as offensive. It's not as if "coloured actors" is an offensive term and is even more accurate, as it encompasses many races who don't consider themselves to be black anyway. It would have been different if he had referred to them as "the coloureds"; a term used with deliberate malice by American rednecks.

I actually find it quite offensive that he has felt such a need to crawl to some of these commentators, when it was perfectly clear to anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense that there was absolutely no intention to cause offence. They should have just regarded it as slightly quaint and then forgotten about it.

IMO nothing wrong in calling black people coloured. all my black friends say it is to them the norm.. why should Benedict prologise ? what if he called them **** ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have thought he'd have known better than to use the term, to be honest but he seems genuinely appalled to have caused offence...he seems to be stuck in some bygone era sometimes.
    To be honest, I think it wouldn't do him any harm to just concentrate on his acting for a while and stay away from all the interviews and appearances.
    He's at a point in his career - especially with it being Oscar season - where people are jumping at any chance to smear him, and stuff like this is just a gift to them.
    I don't think he - or his "team" - are very good at PR and I honestly think he should stick to being an Actor and stop trying to be a "star".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    You'd have thought he'd have known better than to use the term, to be honest but he seems genuinely appalled to have caused offence...he seems to be stuck in some bygone era sometimes.
    To be honest, I think it wouldn't do him any harm to just concentrate on his acting for a while and stay away from all the interviews and appearances.
    He's at a point in his career - especially with it being Oscar season - where people are jumping at any chance to smear him, and stuff like this is just a gift to them.
    I don't think he - or his "team" - are very good at PR and I honestly think he should stick to being an Actor and stop trying to be a "star".

What exactly is wrong with it?
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with it?

nothing... people been arse-holes.... i am offended when dark skin people call me white..
    will they apologise.. dream on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted - sounded like I'm being argumentative and I don't mean to be.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/benedict-cumberbatch-apologises-for-coloured-actors-comment-10004176.html?icn=puff-1

Rent-a-gob Bonnie Greer offering her two penne'worth - she seems to be the go to girl when there's a racial controversy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet there's quite a few people out there of African descent who don't mind the term 'coloured'.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should we just refer to race as white and non white? :confused: When I was growing up 'coloured' was the polite term, 'black' sounded harsh and rude, like something a not very nice character from the tv show 'Roots" would use.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Should we just refer to race as white and non white?

Yes - The current politically acceptable terms are 'people of colour' and 'people not of colour', which essentially segregates all white people from the rest of the entire human race, and mixes all people who aren't full-blown Caucasian into one ethnic group.

"Non-white" is offensive, apparently. "People not of colour" is not, apparently.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone, PC or otherwise, actually explained why coloured is offensive but black is okay? I don't think I've read why or when it changed. I can understand why a lot of Americans are now questioning the African American tag but I've never known why coloured is unacceptable, although I no longer use the term as I wouldn't deliberately cause offence.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never liked him
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    Has anyone, PC or otherwise, actually explained why coloured is offensive but black is okay? I don't think I've read why or when it changed. I can understand why a lot of Americans are now questioning the African American tag but I've never known why coloured is unacceptable, although I no longer use the term as I wouldn't deliberately cause offence.

I want to know this too, I was always told it was the polite term and then one day it just wasn't and no one seemed to know why.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what do you call them at school I was told off for using the term Black. They said coloured is a better term this ws 20 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I thought "people of colour" was the broad phrase? I don't think he'd have meant any harm by it. He seems genuinely polite and like a decent guy.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - The current politically acceptable terms are 'people of colour' and 'people not of colour'
    Personally, I find both of those terms absolutely ludicrous and it's even difficult to say people or person of colour with a straight face. It's like a term that Chris Morris would have invented for Brass Eye.

I think what made it impossible for anybody to use that term seriously ever again was when an actress (whose name I've long forgotten) used it in a hysterical speech at one of the Oscars ceremonies.
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like an episode of The Office.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought "people of colour" was the broad phrase? I don't think he'd have meant any harm by it. He seems genuinely polite and like a decent guy.

It's bizarre to say that "coloured people " is offensive but "people of colour" is not. I've always found the latter phrase rather pretentious.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I remember talking to my dad a while back about the footy and he said "that coloured lad" should get a game and we took the p saying how it was highly offensive these days. :D

He thought saying 'black lad' would have been the offensive term.

I can't imagine how many times in his lifetime terms have been in and out of fashion or on the offend-o-meter.
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    The UK standards are hypocritical too. Bad to call a Black person coloured yet the term Oriental is accepted. If you use the term Oriental in the USA or Australia you will be attacked for racism.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that the issue he was commenting on has been overshadowed by the 'controversy'.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely will have scuppered his Oscar chances now, especially with the existing criticism for lack of diversity in the nominations.

I personally am not offended but then I've never been on the receiving end of racism. If he had said queer actors I still don't know if I would have been offended. I tend to think it's all about the intent, and given he was saying there should be more diversity it seems a bit mean to pick him up on the word he used, as he clearly wasn't being racist.

Then again, Charlene White, the ITV newsreader really did take offence and wouldn't accept any excuses on Twitter so maybe I can't comment without having experienced racism.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kill him, that would teach him.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - The current politically acceptable terms are 'people of colour' and 'people not of colour', which essentially segregates all white people from the rest of the entire human race, and mixes all people who aren't full-blown Caucasian into one ethnic group.

"Non-white" is offensive, apparently. "People not of colour" is not, apparently.

I was told that "non-white" is offensive because it suggests that "white" is the norm and anything else is therefore somewhat inferior.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread just plays to certain types who at best 'can't be bothered' with cultural sensitivities....they bluster on about 'confusion' and 'not being able to keep up' with 'what they are allowed to say' but at worst I'm afraid they are smug and bigoted and only too happy to jump on top of a non story like this whipped up Daily Fail story as an opportunity to air their ignorance.

For what its worth the term coloured is generally accepted as being as the actor concerned said an outmoded term that is demeaning to the people it appears to describe ....white people are white and everyone else is coloured has patronising echoes and even hints at implied inferiority and belongs to a bygone age of not quite knowing what to say and general unawareness..........like it or not times change.