Samsung Lcd Tv's

SAMSUNG since 1996 have had issues with their tv's being capacitors being underrated on the power supply board.
a lot of people have fixed this themselves, at a cost of a few pounds for the 2 new capacitors..
have these issues now been fixed?? puts me off buying a Samsung tv.. also the comp have refused on some sets to repair the problem.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    You would have thought they have fixed it after 16 years!

You can always buy a TV from different make as well if you don't think they would be reliable
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You would have thought they have fixed it after 16 years!

You can always buy a TV from different make as well if you don't think they would be reliable

every year this problem comes back, with their latest new tv.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never knew they had problems, I've narrowed down my list of a new tv to a samsung but now I'm put off
    Forum Member
    every year this problem comes back, with their latest new tv.

How do you know it does?
    Forum Member
    marieukxx wrote: »
    never knew they had problems, I've narrowed down my list of a new tv to a samsung but now I'm put off

Don't be - any make can have problems
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    How do you know it does?

Google their site... and watch how to fix capacitors for Samsung tv on you tube.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    The capacitors on my Samsung went kapput, so I googled the problem I was having (telly taking ages to come on, with a constant 'clicking', or not coming on at all) and I discovered that it was a known problem.

I phoned Samsung, who acknowledged it was a known problem and they arranged for a Samsung engineer to come round and replace the whole board that contained the capacitors.

I posted on here at the time.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with Samsung TV's, mine are going strong despite the TV's from some other manufacturers failing in the households of acquaintances. Of course there will be some of any make failing and there are no guarantees for any of them, including Samsung.
    However, if you are stuck in a time warp that demands you stay in the 20th century instead of leaping into the 21st, buy something else....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Samsung TV's, mine are going strong despite the TV's from some other manufacturers failing in the households of acquaintances. Of course there will be some of any make failing and there are no guarantees for any of them, including Samsung.
    However, if you are stuck in a time warp that demands you stay in the 20th century instead of leaping into the 21st, buy something else....;)

I have perfectly 2 good quality LG LCD TV.. one 32 and a 42 inch and no reports of any bad Bach of their TV.s
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have perfectly 2 good quality LG LCD TV.. one 32 and a 42 inch and no reports of any bad Bach of their TV.s

I've had an LG LCD TV develop vertical banding after a year, and another LG LED TV have noise on the earphone socket when using headphones.

My Samsung (6 months old) is working OK so far, although there is an issue with jerky picture if you use processing, so I have to use Game mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had an LG LCD TV develop vertical banding after a year, and another LG LED TV have noise on the earphone socket when using headphones.

My Samsung (6 months old) is working OK so far, although there is an issue with jerky picture if you use processing, so I have to use Game mode.

AND will the manufacturer fix this problem under warranty..??
    and if out of guarantee how much will it cost??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AND will the manufacturer fix this problem under warranty..??
    and if out of guarantee how much will it cost??

The vertical banding would be fixed by the shop's warranty.

LG tried to fix the sound problem but it still happened, and happened on another tv of the same model in the shop. Personally I think it is a design fault with that model.

LG tried to claim it was because the headphones were cheap but I tried it with different makes and so did the shop and it still happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vertical banding would be fixed by the shop's warranty.

LG tried to fix the sound problem but it still happened, and happened on another tv of the same model in the shop. Personally I think it is a design fault with that model.

LG tried to claim it was because the headphones were cheap but I tried it with different makes and so did the shop and it still happened.

what was the LG MODEL number??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what was the LG MODEL number??

LG 42lw540u For the sound issue. I swapped it for the Samsung D6530.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LG 42lw540u For the sound issue. I swapped it for the Samsung D6530.

think that is the one i just ordered.. from the cat....
    hope mine is ok... when it comes...:cry:
    Forum Member

Why worry/ You already said you had two LG sets that work perfectly with no problems.........

I wish our cat could supply us with a TV!!;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you have Skyrim on PS3 or Xbox?

There is a bit when you first load with some drums playing.

When you get the TV, plug some head phones in and then listen to that bit.

It has to be a quiet bit but where there is some sound but not too much to drown out the noise that is made.

It doesn't happen when there is total silence.

Only on head phones as far as I could tell, not from the speakers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It has to be a quiet bit but where there is some sound but not too much to drown out the noise that is made.

thanks for instructions..
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You will almost always hear things on headphones that are all but inaudible on speakers. It does not necessarily indicate a fault. It is just a function of headphone listening.

If you stuck your ear up against the speaker and blocked all sound from entering the other ear you would probably hear similar noises through the speakers.

I have spent more years than I care to think about listening via headphones and speakers to various bits of audio on a variety of pro audio kit. I always hear noises and stuff on headphones that don't appear to be there when listening to the same bit of audio on speakers.

I suspect it is a combination of the headphones being more closely coupled to the ears and effectively blocking ambient sound to some degree that makes these low level noises especially more audible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You will almost always hear things on headphones that are all but inaudible on speakers. It does not necessarily indicate a fault. It is just a function of headphone listening.

If you stuck your ear up against the speaker and blocked all sound from entering the other ear you would probably hear similar noises through the speakers.

I have spent more years than I care to think about listening via headphones and speakers to various bits of audio on a variety of pro audio kit. I always hear noises and stuff on headphones that don't appear to be there when listening to the same bit of audio on speakers.

I suspect it is a combination of the headphones being more closely coupled to the ears and effectively blocking ambient sound to some degree that makes these low level noises especially more audible.

I wear head phones all the time and have never had this problem with any other TV.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear head phones all the time and have never had this problem with any other TV.
    If the noise is not constant but is some way dependent on the audio signal present then it could be some sort of dynamic audio processing going on.

If the TV is applying some sort of dynamic range compression to the sound plus gating (which mutes the output with no audio present) you can get an effect where there is no noise when the audio track is silent and then noise is heard when audio is present. That is the gate functioning. Add in dynamic range compression which lifts the volume of the quiet bits and the effect of the gating is exaggerated.

Might be worth going into the menu system of the TV and turn off any and all audio processing options and see if that makes a difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If the noise is not constant but is some way dependent on the audio signal present then it could be some sort of dynamic audio processing going on.

If the TV is applying some sort of dynamic range compression to the sound plus gating (which mutes the output with no audio present) you can get an effect where there is no noise when the audio track is silent and then noise is heard when audio is present. That is the gate functioning. Add in dynamic range compression which lifts the volume of the quiet bits and the effect of the gating is exaggerated.

Might be worth going into the menu system of the TV and turn off any and all audio processing options and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the advice, but it is too late now.

I swapped the LG for the Samsung.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Idk why people are still buying Samsung. I left Samsung couple years ago with no regret. Not only did they have problems with the capacitors but they have that screen uniformity issue. They're just pouring out with problems and so I switched over to LG and so far so good. Plus, I love their 3D technology.
    Forum Member
    terryfc81 wrote: »
    Idk why people are still buying Samsung. I left Samsung couple years ago with no regret. Not only did they have problems with the capacitors but they have that screen uniformity issue. They're just pouring out with problems and so I switched over to LG and so far so good. Plus, I love their 3D technology.

They are still buying Samsung because despite your problems others have not suffered.
    I have a 7 year old Samsung LCD still running brilliantly and my newer models are faultless...
    I find that people who have a problem with any particular item/manufacturer, suddenly become evangelists railing against whichever manufacturer upset them. Sweeping statements seem to be the order of the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    They are still buying Samsung because despite your problems others have not suffered.
    I have a 7 year old Samsung LCD still running brilliantly and my newer models are faultless...
    I find that people who have a problem with any particular item/manufacturer, suddenly become evangelists railing against whichever manufacturer upset them. Sweeping statements seem to be the order of the day.

Yes I could say the same thing about LG.

I've had 2 TVs from them.

1 developed banding after a year and the other had the sound problem, which LG didn't take seriously.

I've gone off LG now and try to avoid them, but I know it is down to the LCD lottery more than the manufacturer.

The Samsung TV D6530 (my first) has a know fault of juddering if you have processing on, and also isn't full HD on 3D even though it was advertised as such.