Svcd?

Is it any good? What is it like compared with VCD and DVD?

Recently bought a drive that is just VCD, but some one else I know has got a "low cost" drive which can play vcd and svcd.

Can I play SVCD discs on a VCD drive?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    What do you mean by "Drive"?? If you mean a CD-ROM drive then they all play VCDs & SVCDs as standard, they are only discs with MPEG encoded files on them. SVCDs are higher quality encodings, that is all!

So in answer to your question, I think the answer is YES!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you mean stand alone [player, and unfortunately if it doesnt say SVCD on it, i doubt it will play it.

SVCD, when from a good source, makes excellent recordings... the resolution is noticabley higher, thru a TV the quality is almost DVD like. I would go with SVCD anyday over VCD.

There is a possibility of playing SVCD on VCD only players by using a SVCD / VCD hack trick by encoding the video as a non-standard VCD. obviously this reduces compatability for other players, but if it works on yours its worth a shot. A lot of hassle tho :(

There is a decent cheap standalone SVCD player available for under £100, the name escapes me. Theres always some dude selling the on ebay... dont get them from him tho cos there is an online shop selling them a bit cheaper with free delivery :) I have considered it, but seeing as i can play them thru my PC onto my TV, i cant really justify it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I should have said. I was meaning the standalone drives that connect to the tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have a Philips DVD612s player and it plays everything, from DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3 CD's etc...

The more recent Philips players also do the same, i.e. Philips DVD634 and DVD623, both I think are available from Amazon, and are under £100 (I think).

Voodoo