Living With The Amish Ch 4 tonight

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I enjoyed this prog tonight and thought our British kids were polite, interested and good company. That Amish couple who welcomed them into their homes were just SO nice and genuine too.

I'm wondering whether the Amish people would welcome me! I could do bottling fruit, sewing, gardening, cooking etc until the cows come home .... and riding in one of those horse-drawn buggies would be fantastic.

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a delightful programme, really interesting and heartwarming. The hosting couple were lovely, and seemed very patient and kind and warm. I feel a bit sad for them that they would clearly be great parents, obviously want kids, and yet haven't managed to have any yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely program! I'm so glad that the English kids appear to be nice rather than brat camp types.

(Am I the only one who chuckled at going to visit aunt Irma?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good show, great to see the kids getting into the spirit of things by the end & no tantrums.
  • Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say living life the Amish way seems very appealing.
    I hope Jonathan and his wife do get to have children.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I want to be Aunt Irma Mk II. :D:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Great couple to ease the Teenagers, into Amish life, next week looks tougher.

Had to feel sorry for James, and Charlotte was a bit pampered, before she went there.

But the haircut, is not for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I LOVED when the blonde performance arts student was trying to sweep the floor!
    The most ridiculous way of using a dustpan and brush I have ever seen.

Agreed that it's nice to see something that doesn't show Britain's youths as yobbish bratty tantrum throwing louts for a change!
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, really enjoyed this first episode. Initially I was concerned about the youths and how they would represent the UK but they were very respectful. It was lovely to see bonds and friendships develop - there's something about James, he kinda your heart a little bit.

Next week looks more challenging.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.

Just a pity it's so tied up in religion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    This was surprisingly heartwarming- I was expecting it to be more like 'world's strictest parents' but the teenagers chosen were all rather nice and well-behaved. Also, the Amish people featured were far more humourous and worldly than I'd have expected. The main couple were lovely. James and Jonathan's bonding in particular was adorable, poor James seems like a lonely lad.

...Isn't running a generator when you reckon that your religion discourages the use of electricity kind of taking the piss, though? It's like those Hasidic Jewish women who shave their heads and then wear wigs, heh heh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I agree.

Just a pity it's so tied up in religion.

Bob - I could pretend :o if it meant I'd get to ride in that pony and trap, eat all healthy homemade stuff and not have to bother about bad hair days!;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moontaker wrote: »
    Yes, really enjoyed this first episode. Initially I was concerned about the youths and how they would represent the UK but they were very respectful. It was lovely to see bonds and friendships develop - there's something about James, he kinda your heart a little bit.

Next week looks more challenging.

I said to my DH last night as soon as he came on that he'd probably love it there with the routines, proper food, caring people and keeping busy. Poor kid had been in foster care and had had a very troubled life with no Dad and a Mum in prison. Now wouldn't that be a happy ending?:)
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the opening episode to this series. :)

As I said earlier on a GD thread regarding the Amish: I find myself attracted to their way of life, especially their closeness to nature, and making their own clothes and food etc. Everything looks so fresh around them!

I too was a little apprehensive about the UK teenagers but was pleased and quite relieved that they were gracious and thankful to their kind hosts. I have a feeling that one or two will become crotchety in future episodes though :p; but the whole experience will be the making of others, I think.

I, too, am particularly fond of James, and I thought that Jonathan helped him a lot.

Having said all that, I was shocked that some of them had never done any housework whatsoever in their lives! Can't imagine it. :eek:

Looking forward to next week's episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dozed over the other night while watching this and woke to find the 'Amish' girls getting a lesson on how to sexually please their boyfriends :eek: Good LORD! I thought, they are coming out of their shells them Amish girls. Then I realised I'd missed the whole damned programme and was watching that teenage sex tips programme which followed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it.

My OH and I were also surprised how gracious and well behaved the British teens were. We were expecting some chavvy louts you'd normally see on these kind of programmes.

The couple were so lovely. I got a bit teary when Jonathan started crying after James explained why he'd decided to get the Amish haircut.

I have a feeling Siana isn't going to like Amish life. She seemed to really struggle with giving up her individuality and conforming to the Amish way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Jequila wrote: »
    I dozed over the other night while watching this and woke to find the 'Amish' girls getting a lesson on how to sexually please their boyfriends :eek: Good LORD! I thought, they are coming out of their shells them Amish girls. Then I realised I'd missed the whole damned programme and was watching that teenage sex tips programme which followed.

That me made laugh J :D
    Sounds like I missed a good show, I swerved it as I expected the kids to be the chavy type and would feel uncomfy for the Amish.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing puzzled me: all the girls were required to remove their piercings - why not James?
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    The couple were so lovely. I got a bit teary when Jonathan started crying after James explained why he'd decided to get the Amish haircut.
    I did too.
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I enjoyed this prog tonight and thought our British kids were polite, interested and good company. That Amish couple who welcomed them into their homes were just SO nice and genuine too.

I'm wondering whether the Amish people would welcome me! I could do bottling fruit, sewing, gardening, cooking etc until the cows come home .... and riding in one of those horse-drawn buggies would be fantastic.

I love this programme - just finished watching it actually.
    The people are lovely aren't they? I loved the 'relationship' the Amish guy had with that boy (the one from the 'troubled' background). They both had a lot of respect for each other. Was really lovely to see.

I liked the blond girl too & find it astonishing that her mother has never encouraged her to do anything for herself. What is it with some parents nowadays who have children who are unequipped to deal with the very basics of life. Shame on them, they're doing their kids no favours at all. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said to my DH last night as soon as he came on that he'd probably love it there with the routines, proper food, caring people and keeping busy. Poor kid had been in foster care and had had a very troubled life with no Dad and a Mum in prison. Now wouldn't that be a happy ending?:)

I said on another thread I wouldn't be surprised if this boy doesn't have a think about joining this community - he seems a lost soul.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scots rool wrote: »
    I said on another thread I wouldn't be surprised if this boy doesn't have a think about joining this community - he seems a lost soul.

Where's the other thread please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the other thread please?

Oh it isn't a thread about the Amish people.....it was on a BB chat type thread. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    One thing puzzled me: all the girls were required to remove their piercings - why not James?

i think it was because they said there was a specific instruction to women not to 'adorn' themselves. Not that the men seem to do much adorning either, but i guess they felt that it was acceptable to let the lads keep their jewellery in.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was really good, and I also thought I would not be surprised if one of the kids wanted to stay on longer.

i think it would be a mistake to think the Amish are poor - they are probably quite wealthy - aftyer all, they don't have much to spend their money on,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a lovely and interesting first episode.

I just wish the gender roles were not so rigid. There must be boys who want to cook and girls who would love to work with the horses and horticulture etc. I guess these people have to leave, that was was main problem I had with the life. The Amish couple were lovely. I hope they explore how the Amish ensure there is no inbreeding, I think I read that they keep meticulous records and so forth to prevent this happening.