Options

Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

Comments

• Options
    extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Scroll down the link from GMB for the interview with James Norton (Tommy) brill that he gives credit to little Ryan, amongst others :)

sorry forgot to add the link http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I sort of ambled upon this whilst flicking about one evening,then I found it unmissable,tense,gripping,well written, well cast and well acted.
    Sarah Lancashire was totally believable,the producers hadn't pandered,as many do, to casting some pretty little,cute actress in the role.Sarah Lancashire larger than life in some scenes and very scary,the end scene of her kicking 7 shades out of him, credible,and satisfying.

Hope there is another series, as others have said, could well be a battle with corruption that has been given the nod in this series.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing on the box since Prisoners Wives. Was so relieved it didn't go down the huge explosion route near the end with heroic deaths etc. It was downplayed, subtle and mundane, as near to real life as were gonna get. Loved Kevin's act of spite in prison, you could see where he was coming from. Consequences, consequences, for all. Big thankyou for not re-uniting Catherne with her ex at the end.

I kind of want this to remain a stand alone series, but, the story telling/acting is moorish!

There's enough left-over material: corrupt councillor/ the fall out of Ryan meeting his 'Dad'/the real nature of Tommys relationship with Catherines daughter/'consequences' towards Kevins family.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent series. I want to watch more of it now! Sarah was fantastic.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great series, very enjoyable, the circle with the petrol/fire extinguisher was good too.

I did wonder if Ash and Kevin would feature this episode, but both had great pieces.
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I think the writer already had series 2 in mind when they had the councillor arrested for drugs, he probably ordered the death of Ashley. This will lead to some corrupt police officers and plenty of scope to continue.

My OH did wonder at the time if the test on the drugs would come back and show how uncut it was compared to drugs on the street, linking in to Richard's little talk on the purity of drugs and the height in the supply chain of the dealer.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the final episode was very satisfying - so much more so than the final one of Line of Duty. I had thought that Keeley Hawes would be a certainty for awards, but Sarah Lancashire will be pressing her very hard after this performance.

I still haven't worked out how Tommy got injured, as it really looked as though he had killed Lewis while he was asleep.

A second series would have to go some to beat this one - it may be better for Sally Wainwright to move on to something else.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I wondered how Tommy got injured too as Lewis looked like he had been attacked while asleep. Perhaps someone else caught something we missed and it can be explained.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I think Ann Gallagher becomes a policewoman in the 2nd series....
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess for series 2 is that Richard tries to put together his story about the drug dealers, even though he is out of a job, in the hope that he can sell it to a newspaper or tv station, and the drug bosses have him killed, and Catherine's boss is hindering the investigation because of his links to the drug dealers, so she has to expose him and his connections.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Happy Valley- brilliant drama & the finale made me realise how much of a let-down the last ep of Line of Duty was.

Also although he played a bastard, I have to say this....James Norton is sex on legs.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I'm starting to wonder whether they will have enough actual evidence to convict Tommy on any of the murder charges? Although Ann was a witness to the killing of the policewoman, she didn't see anything, only heard stuff (and I don't think she even knew that someone had been killed at the time), and there are no surviving witnesses to the other two murders, and didn't they say the bodies had been there for weeks? So will they be able to get enough forensic evidence to prove he killed those two? I know they said his blood was found there, but that isn't really proof that he killed them.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the young kid who played Ryan deserves huge credit for his acting performance at such a young age
  • Options
    kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Who do we think killed Ashley?

Rent a hood on a motorbike with a gun. I think the question that really needs answering is ordered the killing of Ashley?
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    My guess for series 2 is that Richard tries to put together his story about the drug dealers, even though he is out of a job, in the hope that he can sell it to a newspaper or tv station, and the drug bosses have him killed, and Catherine's boss is hindering the investigation because of his links to the drug dealers, so she has to expose him and his connections.

Personally, I wouldn't be tempted to watch if it was about drugs. Cos it's too much like gangster stuff and I don't like gangster related programmes.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    extraextra wrote: »
    Scroll down the link from GMB for the interview with James Norton (Tommy) brill that he gives credit to little Ryan, amongst others :)

sorry forgot to add the link http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain

Where is the interview exactly?

Doesn't matter, I found it!
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I loved Breaking Bad but I so much more enjoyed the ending to this. Much more satisfying.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Best thing on the box since Prisoners Wives. Was so relieved it didn't go down the huge explosion route near the end with heroic deaths etc. It was downplayed, subtle and mundane, as near to real life as were gonna get. Loved Kevin's act of spite in prison, you could see where he was coming from. Consequences, consequences, for all. Big thankyou for not re-uniting Catherne with her ex at the end.

I kind of want this to remain a stand alone series, but, the story telling/acting is moorish!

There's enough left-over material: corrupt councillor/ the fall out of Ryan meeting his 'Dad'/the real nature of Tommys relationship with Catherines daughter/'consequences' towards Kevins family.

Couldnt agree more. I thought the ending was perfect.
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Great episode last night, as had the last five been! Although I do like this series as a standalone story I must admit I would love to see a second series, perhaps to cover Tommy's trial.

Sarah Lancashire was great, although didn't expect anything less and for me the big revelation was Charlie Murphy who played Ann. Although for the first few episodes she was purely on look distressed duty she did it well and the last few episodes seeing her as a strong but damaged girl was quite interesting, i'd really like to see further down the line how she deals with it. I'd like to see her relationship with Catherine develop, after all this is the closest to a daughter Catherine will have had for a long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewis was quite the martyr in all this when you think about it - if he didn't stab Tommy (which is what we assumed happened off camera), Tommy wouldn't have wandered around in pain bleeding and found refuge in the canal barge where he finally got caught. He would have had a lot more strength and energy and would have been much more of a danger to others if Lewis didn't stab him before Tommy murdered him.
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a drama I know but would they have really allowed Nev, a witness for the prosecution to come into contact with Kevin, a defendant who is on remand?

Also if Ashley were on a witness protection why is still running his caravan site and bumbling along the Elland by-pass? Was he under surveillance for his own protection or because the drugs team were after more intell?

Apart from that, first rate drama BBC but it's going to be very confusing if SL is back next in LTIH S3.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if the 2nd series concentrated on the drugs trafficking operation through the pharmaceutical company. They could promote Sarah to the drugs squad and let her go undercover. :D
  • Options
    notlurkingnownotlurkingnow Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wondered why the daughter's headstone does not mention her son. Everyone knows Catherine is his grandma, and must know his mother is dead but it doesn't say 'mother of Ryan' on the grave.

I'd like to see a 2nd series to see the corrupt police get their comeuppance and the drug storyline cleared up.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    I know that it would be expecting too much of a child's non-existent intelligence and logic to have him be sent to get petrol from another barge.

My inner pedant compels me point out that narrowboats generally have diesel engines, so that may have been a bit difficult.

Sorry.:blush:
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Was it Tommy who raped Ann? If so, and she had been found to be pregnant and wanted to keep it then that storyline would be useful for the next series.
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    My inner pedant compels me point out that narrowboats generally have diesel engines, so that may have been a bit difficult.

Sorry.:blush:

I thought that too ! ! ;-);-)