racist?????

Comments

• MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    It isn't racist.

How do you not understand that nationality isn't race ?

But exactly what someone else said, if they had said something about being a Indian **** everyone would be going crazy.
  • sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iwholden wrote: »
    I don't think it was racist. In my dictionary its hilarious! :D

Got to say, i did find it funny.:D
  • Soulrebel1980Soulrebel1980 Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    I doubt Texans like being called red-necks either, the French **** comment was probably xenophobic at best/worst really I think
  • melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    It isn't racist.

How do you not understand that nationality isn't race ?

The United Nations defines 'racial discrimination' thus;

"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or [BOLD]national[/BOLD] or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.[25]

therefore, it IS racist.
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Racist, xenophobic... same difference. It's all tying a person's unchosen identity with a dislike of them. I know that's a little difficult for certain people to grasp, but it's the truth. Was Jade being racist or xenophobic to Shilpa?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would it be OK if he had said he wished she would **** off home?
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waiting on the ofcom petition anytime soon ,why do plebs watch this show .....seriously
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand what everyone is saying. So teaching us doesn't need to be mentioned. The point is he didn't need to mention the word "french" into his argument.
    It's like White Dee the white from her name has obviously been removed from her name because people will find it racist and her name is actually Dee.
  • ShantanShantan Posts: 6,423
    Forum Member
    It seems like this lot can get away with acting aggressively or being xenophobic towards Frenchie and BB doesn't care.
  • iwholdeniwholden Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheils1 wrote: »
    Got to say, i did find it funny.:D

I absolutely love his rants. I wanna have him stay over at my house for a few days. I'd just sit and laugh constantly. Queen Leslie - oh shit is that homophobic? ;-)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xenophobic to be accurate. But then that can be as bad as racism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    waiting on the ofcom petition anytime soon ,why do plebs watch this show .....seriously
    I don't know, why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love his rants. I wanna have him stay over at my house for a few days. I'd just sit and laugh constantly. Queen Leslie - oh shit is that homophobic? ;-)

Nah. :D lovingg him too, but dont agree with Gary sleeping outside, nasty little man .:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xenophobic to be accurate. But then that can be as bad as racism.
    Apparently people learnt the playschool lesson that it's wrong to hate someone on the basis of race, but weren't able make the connection that it might be equally bad to hate against other groups.
  • iwholdeniwholden Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheils1 wrote: »
    Nah. :D lovingg him too, but dont agree with Gary sleeping outside, nasty little man .:)

If Gary cant take part in these tasks he shouldn't be in big brother. I sympathise for the guy and his ailments but he can't use that as an excuse. This is big brother.
  • atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry? On the preview Leslie said "You stinking French ****" to Frenchy

If he had said "You stinking African ****" to a African housemate. Big Brother would remove him surely?

Surely it is Racism or am I missing the point?

Well we know BB likes to tread a fine line & one day they will go too far! Of course he should be removed for that, especially given the aggressive way he said it! I am surprised the number of people who like this weasel given the anti aggression threads that have dominated these forums this summer!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Gary cant take part in these tasks he shouldn't be in big brother. I sympathise for the guy and his ailments but he can't use that as an excuse. This is big brother.

So true.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The United Nations defines 'racial discrimination' thus;

"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or [BOLD]national[/BOLD] or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.[25]

therefore, it IS racist.

Well they should give it a different name then because a nationality isn't a race.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spidey1 wrote: »
    This is Great Britain.

you are not allowed to call somebody FAT - GAY - BLACK - MUSLIM - GINGER - FRENCH in an aggressive manner. it's RACIST.

Get the little man out!

I have called plenty of people fat, by your logic i must be a racist.
  • CinnamonBrickCinnamonBrick Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People need to learn the definition of racism. People also need to stop being drama queens.

The **** is the derogatory word, the French is descriptive and factual. It has elements of xenophobia at a push.
  • Spidey1Spidey1 Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeh, it's not as if he was expecting to sleep in the jungle and not in a warm comfy bed during his stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But arnt we all the HUMAN RACE?
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on here seriously need to study the definition of racism.

Leslie's comment was utterly vile but it was in no way racist.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not racist. praise the lord. You can still have a go at the French as far as I know. Personally I like them and fell in love with one :)
  • HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chinese/Indian are nationalities too but it would be considered racist.