Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,486
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Ed Chamberlin's first question to Rodgers on Monday Night Football: "What does Balotelli give to your squad?"

Rodgers: "Trouble."

:D

At least he is under no illusions, and knows what he has! :D
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    Confirmed lineup: Mignolet; Johnson, Lovren, Skrtel, Moreno; Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling; Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Manquillo, Sakho, Toure, Can, Markovic, Lambert

Moreno straight in and Manquillo drops to the bench. Not sure about that one. Great to see Markovic named on the bench.

Not even a place on the bench for Lucas, BR preferring instead to name three defenders .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Can be unpredictable but you have a great player. To get him for £16 million is even better. I wish you the best of luck this season...oh and tonight.

- Gooner
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy with that team. Bit concerned about Glen Johnson. He needs a 2 seasons ago performance and not the rubbish we've seen since. You feel this might be his last chance to stake a claim for RB.

Great to see Allen in there. Works hard and does it well. Very professional player.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed lineup: Mignolet; Johnson, Lovren, Skrtel, Moreno; Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling; Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Manquillo, Sakho, Toure, Can, Markovic, Lambert

Moreno straight in and Manquillo drops to the bench. Not sure about that one. Great to see Markovic named on the bench.

Last season's second game saw a bench of Jones, Cissokho, Wisdom, Alberto, Allen, Borini and Sterling with Toure and Aspas starting. Depth is looking much better.

Happy with that team. We'll probably fade later in the game in terms of pressing, so hopefully we can be in the game after the hour and perhaps nick a first half goal (or two).

I'm hoping for a draw. We are well capable of winning but realistically a point would be a good result at City. If we do win, I'd obviously be ecstatic.

Moreno looks exciting and could take advantage of the space the adventurous Zabaleta leaves if he chooses his moments (he is relatively disciplined defensively I think).

I'd love to see Markovic come on later in the game with the game stretched.

We deserve a break there after last season.

As for Balotelli. There will be fireworks (hopefully not literally). If he has grown up at least 20% that'll be a start - there's no denying his ability and £16m is a steal for a 1-in-2 24 year old international striker with CL experience.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    We look tighter than the previous season and we're starting to push forwards, but City remain a huge threat.

Wish I was a neutral for this, I'd probably enjoy it more!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 minutes to half time, 1-0 City.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mistake from Moreno there. Shame as he's had a good game so far. we've not looked bad at all, we just need to settle and go again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Getting to half time was important. I'd take Johnson off at HT though. Every time he has the ball the move breaks down. Changing him would give us more going forward than a traditional attacking change.

Need to find a way to get Coutinho into the game more as well.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getting into real good positions. We always cause city major problems.

Were the better side for the vast majority of the half and can still get something from this.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Mistake by Moreno but it's not only his first game in the PL, it's the hardest fixture so I'll let him have that one. :p Can't be so forgiving to Johnson who has managed to lose the ball pretty much every single time he's had it in the final third - a remarkable feat.

We've been the better team I feel, but perhaps one too many crosses for my liking. City will deal with us in the air all day. Plenty of time to get back into it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    City just so good on the ball. Like they're toying with us. We need to really step up to get anything out of this now. A nice reminder that we have a lot still to do this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2-0, Yoghurt tits again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coutinho off for Markovics debut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Markovic already looking good. He and Moreno linking up well. Should be the left hand side sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aguero, only been on 23 seconds, makes it 3.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    City have been clinical.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    Bollocks!

That's what a quality finish looks like from Aguero.

No point wasting time moaning about it. A lot of good play wasted by clumsiness in both boxes. Move on to next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shows the level between us and them. They just look very solid, very clinical and very comfortable.

Work to do for us. We need to be more creative. Markovic looks like he'll improve us there.

Bad day at the office so far. Need to pick ourselves up for Spurs next week. That's a game we need to win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    Shows the level between us and them. They just look very solid, very clinical and very comfortable.

Work to do for us. We need to be more creative. Markovic looks like he'll improve us there.

Bad day at the office so far. Need to pick ourselves up for Spurs next week. That's a game we need to win.

Don't think they have looked way better then us. It's not been a bad performance and one where city have dominated. . Just punished us with clinical finishing.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the commentators not remember that Suarez would not have been playing even if he was still there
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical of opposition supporters. Lose against the champions away and suddenly that's top 4 gone. Behave!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Don't think they have looked way better then us. It's not been a bad performance and one where city have dominated. . Just punished us with clinical finishing.

I don't think it's just the finishing. By and large they have look more in control. When they have the ball they are passing it around in our half and probing for a chance. When we've had the ball it's often also been in our half. We've just not clicked as well. You feel they could score again if they want to.

Markovic has shown some of what we will have to offer, but we've still got work to do. Make no mistake this is a battle for a top 4 finish this season. We can do it but we need to get up to our best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lambert, 3-1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    Typical of opposition supporters. Lose against the champions away and suddenly that's top 4 gone. Behave!

There will be knee jerk reactions some Liverpool fans. It's one bad result. we move on from here.
This discussion has been closed.