Need a present for my uncle

TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I admit, I always think when somebody posts one of these 'you know them better than I do, you decide' but I'm just out completely idea free here.

55 year old man.

Doesn't like sports, doesn't like DVD's - or movies in general, doesn't like video games or board games, doesn't like other people buying him clothes, doesn't like 'going out' so tickets for gigs/shows are out.

Generally, a miserable, impossible bugger. :D

Got £50 to spend.

At this rate, I'll just offer to buy his groceries some week. At least he's bound to eat - surely. :cry:

Comments

• soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With those sort of conditions does he actually expect a present?

That's a genuine question by the way. I never celebrate my birthday and always tell my girlfriend (who always wants to mark it) to buy something for herself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electronic Drum Kit ?

Name a Star . ?

Pet Goldfish complete with Bowl and food ?

Bonzai Tree in nice Pot ?

Spud Gun ? ........ My dad loved that one .... ROFL .... :D

I tend to buy " difficult " peeps like this things that are really wacky and off the wall .............. Things that the person would never even dream of ...........LOl.......... Thing is they always seem to love the pressie :)
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »

Yeah, unfortunately. :(:) He hasn't missed a birthday of mine and he's a good guy.

In fairness, if I bought him any of the aformentioned no-go's he'd thank me for it and pretend to be grateful. He's a nice guy, just doesn't have any real interests.

I got him DVD's for a couple of years. TV boxsets. Found out last week he's never watched any of them, even though he was very appreciative at the time.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) £50.In denominations of £10(x5).Present?-done.
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electronic Drum Kit ?

Name a Star . ?

Pet Goldfish complete with Bowl and food ?

Bonzai Tree in nice Pot ?

Spud Gun ? ........ My dad loved that one .... ROFL .... :D

I tend to buy " difficult " peeps like this things that are really wacky and off the wall .............. Things that the person would never even dream of ...........LOl.......... Thing is they always seem to love the pressie :)

Like those ideas. Thanks :)

I've been looking on niche sites like Firebox for this sort of thing.

Like the bonzai tree and spud gun suggestions. I remember him telling me once about having a spud gun as a kid...nostalgia presents are always pretty cool.
    £50.In denominations of £10(x5).Present?-done.

Even better give it to him in 10p's.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Take him out for a meal and pay for everything.. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'm 51 & love playing with my Son's BB Gun

Modern day spud gun really
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catherton wrote: »
    I'm 51 & love playing with my Son's BB Gun

Modern day spud gun really

Just make sure the nosy neighbours don't see you with it.You'll have an armed response team at your door quicker than you can say 'it's only a toy'.:eek:
  • Finlay ReaderFinlay Reader Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershave?

*shrugs*
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he read? I love getting book tokens from my neices & nephews.
  • novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give him the spud gun and give the rest to a charity on his behalf.

Christmas last year, my sister 'bought' various things for us - my school teacher daughter was 'bought' three desks in an African village school, my animal-mad nephew was bought a goat for the same village etc. Or how about Air Ambulance or Lifeboats ...

If there's nothing he needs, then maybe the thought going into the charitable gift on his behalf will please him and he can still have fun with the spuddy :D
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a magazine subscription?

Find out if he likes any. Or maybe the Radio Times - if he doesn't move then surely he watches TV.:eek:
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    A few bottles of wine ~ might put him in a good mood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I'd got with the obscure present - past experience says that they raise a smile even though they might not be useful. Amongst his conventional presents my OH got a massive jar of "retro" sweets, a solar powered light and a backwards clock for his office for his 40th.

(and a blow up zimmer frame from his mum :o!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    A slanket for the winter, if he sits about in the house...

A bread-maker, if he's interested in cooking at all?

Does he go out to visit places, if he doesn't 'go out', as such? Tickets for the National Trust, or English Heritage?

Adopt an animal from a nearby sanctuary that he can go to see, if he wants to... Or else look at Born Free or something similar online, where you can help to sponsor an endangered herd of Rothschild's Giraffes?

What about books that you listen to on CD? Or recordings of something like Hancock's Half Hour, or Round the Horne, if he's into humour...

Good luck, I know it's not easy! I'm sure he appreciates all that you're trying to do for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »

That's a genuine question by the way. I never celebrate my birthday and always tell my girlfriend (who always wants to mark it) to buy something for herself!

Oh wish my OH was like you. ;)